Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Re: CURRENT VALUES OF CAMARO 427 ALUMINUM ENGINE C

I got one better #61 was sold to a farmer who was harvesting his crops and his machinery broke down so he went to the bank to get a loan for the repairs. There was a used car lot next door to the bank and the camaro was sitting there, Dennis liked the car so he asked for more money to buy the camaro NOT KNOWING IT WAS A ZL1. Years later a man named ED C call and wanted to buy the car, at that time the car was not for sale and he would not sell it so Ed told him what it was WHAT A SHOCK a real ZL1. This car has a lot of great stories about it the sand dragging is just one of them.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Hi Mike..Nice to see you here...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Colin,

Very well said…those cars almost exclusively trade hands privately. The collectors with the finest examples do not need to go through auction houses. A quality & legit ZL-1 is definitely a million-dollar plus car.

The elite Muscle is still highly sought after with a greater number of credible buyers than cars. It is the cobbled together clones, plain Jane and half-baked Muscle that has plummeted in value. The demand for ZL-1s, LS-6, Yenkos, W-30s, 68-69 HOs, Stage-1 and RAIV Judges and 69 TA’s etc…will always completely outpace supply. Those cars if QUALITY, REAL and DOCUMENTED will only continue to increase in value regardless of economic conditions.

The actual problem is finding an authentic & quality no-excuses car today. People with the finest cars generally WILL NOT sell. It is like finding the preverbal needle in the haystack. Most sales for top-flight cars are behind closed doors anyway as Colin mentioned, so it is difficult to get an accurate price gauge. The cars predominately going through the auction houses now are just that… professional auction cars!

As one who follows Muscle convertibles especially the Olds market closely. I can tell you that primarily all of the W-30 ragtops that I’ve seen go through the auction houses are professional auction retreads with terrible histories and NO quality docs. Those cars again primarily exclusively change hands privately. So to make a long story short a high quality car is still worth big $$$$ but finding that car is an extremely difficult proposition.

RM
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Are there any of the original 69 ZL1 not accounted for?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM

No, there are 84 of them for sale in Arizona next week
Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Ha!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The elite Muscle is still highly sought after with a greater number of credible buyers than cars. It is the cobbled together clones, plain Jane and half-baked Muscle that has plummeted in value. The demand for ZL-1s, LS-6, Yenkos, W-30s, 68-69 HOs, Stage-1 and RAIV Judges and 69 TA’s etc…will always completely outpace supply. Those cars if QUALITY, REAL and DOCUMENTED will only continue to increase in value regardless of economic conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except I would leave the 68/69 Hurst/Olds out of that equation, they aren't in the same league as the other cars you mentioned.

One of the things that really effects the value of a particular car is the quality of the restoration. Some local hack shop restoring a rare car actually lowers its value, verses a properly done restoration, using all original parts (not the Taiwanese repro stuff that permeates the hobby today), and using knowledgeable restorers familiar with the actual make and model of the particular car. The quickie resto, by a local hack shop, is what many of the auction cars are today.

The other factor I've noticed is that a car with low mileage, when that car has been repainted multiple times, doesn't garner the premium is used to. I believe the logic here is that if the car has been repainted, body panels and interior removed for a quickie restoration, the low mileage factor no longer warrants the huge premium they used to back around 2006.

Cars such as what Colin Comer has, that have original paint, are going to continue to climb in value.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, except I would leave the 68/69 Hurst/Olds out of that equation, they aren't in the same league as the other cars you mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY????… I would think that one of the first GM A bodied cars to break the 400 cu in limit featuring a legacy directly tied to Hurst Performance, low production volume and often cited as one of the pinnacles of Oldsmobile performance would be significant. It is funny that most other collectors and credible automotive writers see the 68-69 Hurst/Olds cars in that light. But we may all be mistaken in our perceptions.

Thanks for setting me straight! RM
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY????… I would think that one of the first GM A bodied cars to break the 400 cu in limit featuring a legacy directly tied to Hurst Performance, low production volume and often cited as one of the pinnacles of Oldsmobile performance would be significant. It is funny that most other collectors and credible automotive writers see the 68-69 Hurst/Olds cars in that light. But we may all be mistaken in our perceptions.

Thanks for setting me straight! RM

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he means monetarily not in the same league. Have you seen one of them sell in the 500K to a million dollar range?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Agreed…coupes of the before mentioned LS-6 Chevelle, RAIV Judge, 1970 GSX, W-30s and 1969 TA’s generally top out at slightly over six figures and not in the range of Zl-1s, Yenkos or convertible models. But I would definitely classify the 68-69 Hurst/Olds cars as equivalent to the any of the above mentioned GM coupes historically and monetarily as well. Thanx RM