Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - Canada

Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default Yellow RS Copo

Re-posting some info I had shared in another thread concerning a a local RS Copo owned by a friend. Here's some info posted here in an attempt to clean up another thread which I unintentionally hi-jacked and now posted here where it belongs. Sorry for the hijack of the other thread in the sale section.

<span style="font-weight: bold">My original post in response to a statement about how many Yellow Copo cars are known...</span>

There's a Yellow RS Copo here in Alberta too, but with Yellow Houndsooth interior. It was found in Okotoks AB and later purchased by a local friend who had Mike at Western Corvette complete it's restoration. It was later sold to Jim at Heartbeat before landing in a California collection for a number of years. Since then it was purchased back and was recently brought back to Alberta by the previous owner. A pretty striking car with the RS and all that yellow. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZAPPER68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The second owner of the yellow COPO mentioned above was my neighbour back in Saskatchewan. Rod told me the car was a high school graduation present purchased by the grandmother…
By the way, there is another Alberta COPO car (this one orange) close to me nearly finished a total restoration.

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">My earlier response to Zapper68 post.</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zapper,

You must be talking about a different car? The original owner of this Yellow/Yellow RS was a little guy who bought it new and owned an old Esso station across from McMahon Stadium here in Calgary. The current owner has met him a couple times now and was given pictures of the car parked in front of the old station (1970) where he'd often park it along the pumps to draw attention to his business. He later sold it to a couple in Okotoks who drove it for a few years (mid 70's). They took it into a shop for some service work around 1976 and in conversation offered to sell it to a good friend of mine (Mike Thorpe) who was a mechanic there at the time, but he wasn't sure about buying it because the owner wanted a lot for it and the car had a heavy lien on it which wasn't in his name for some odd reason???

It then reportedly sat for years in Okotoks when another friend (Graham Cannon) found the car sitting there but couldn't afford to buy it either. They all knew it was a special car, but the price was going up as the 2nd owner knew exactly what he had in a heavily optioned Copo. It was later sold to a restoration shop who bought it 10 years later. It had been sitting for a while and was needing some work. It was then sold to the current owner who has now owned it twice since selling it to Stubbings and then having bought it back from Len couple years ago.

What is ironic about this car is how tight the circle of potential owners was, where they all wanted the car back then but only one guy ended up getting it. My good friend Mike Thorpe (who almost bought it in 1976) saw the car come into Western Corvette for a planned restoration in the early 90's. Mike is one of the best restoration experts around and spent a couple years dialing the car in to where it sits today. Once completed the car was shown while it was fresh, and was later sold to Jim Stubbing who had it in his showroom for a few years before going to California. If you read this magazine article http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mscp-...evy-camaro-rs/ you'll notice credit on the restoration was given to Heartbeat owner Jim Stubbings when truth be known, Mike Thorpe restored it here at Western Corvette of Calgary (not Detroit).

It now been bought back by the previous owner here in Calgary and is not for sale. I see the car pretty often and have been all over it. It is an absolute gem and one of two Copo's now in this private collection. It now has the correct XT wheels back on the car.</div></div>

A couple facts I want to correct on this yellow RS Copo car. It is actually &quot;not&quot; a double Copo as the magazine stated and I typed earlier. The car was in fact a GM Zone office 9561 car out of Regina and was shipped for sale through Ted Brooks Chevrolet on 16th Avenue in Calgary where it was sold new to the owner of the Esso station that I referred to above. It has a ton of paperwork including GM Canada docs. There was actually one other owner from the 70's as the car was also in Lakewiew, Calgary (around 74) and he was the 2nd owner before it landed in Okotoks. Mike Thorpe also saw this car at A1 Autobody around 1975 before seeing it again later and considering buying it. He admits the first time he saw it, he had no idea it was a Copo car but knew it when he was offered the car a couple years later. Graham Cannon then discovered it in a field near Okotoks sometime later.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here's a picture of this yellow RS Copo in the MCR article before coming home in Alberta where it was originally sold and now resides. It is not available for sale.</span>

GM Canada Docs obtained in 1993 showing build options.

Second page showing additional options and obtained 2014

Last edited by NorCam; 02-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Yellow RS Copo

Yellow/yellow -- dang is that thing pretty ... TAZ
Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 PM

X2
Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Transistorized ignition system w/ 9561AA package and rear antenna w/ spoiler package?

Nice car with excellent colors and options.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Looks like spoilers were added.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Yes spoilers were added. Removing them has been discussed but isn't a big priority at this time.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Here's a postcard the original owner used to hand out to promote his Esso station back in the early 70's with the Copo sitting at the pumps. Looks like it had black wheels on it here, and hard to see from this image but it appears to be without the rear spoiler at this time. Neat little piece the current owner got from the original owner when they met to discuss the car years ago.

(front of postcard showing Copo at pumps)

(back of postcard denoting station)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:40 PM

That's a lot off yellow and I love it
69 L78 X22 convert survivor VE3 ,POP
70 HEMI CUDA ORIG PAINT 19K MILES
70 LS6 M22 4.10 4k Miles Black time capsule
Bill Hunter Yenko
Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 PM

yellow, yellow cars are my favorites. That post card is really cool, especially with the car in it!
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 AM

That first build sheet was an old one pulled in 1993 and for some reason didn't list the zone office. A new one was ordered in 2014 and it listed the GM Zone office in Regina. When this occurs (similar to a car transferred between dealers) the original ordering dealer is listed rather than the selling dealer a car may have transferred to.