Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,381 Times in 646 Posts

Thanks everyone. My next step is to remove the wire wrap and see what is under it.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

Rick:

Did you Caprice come from the factory with a Tilt Wheel or is this an option that was added to the car after the fact?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Rick:

Did you Caprice come from the factory with a Tilt Wheel or is this an option that was added to the car after the fact?
Yes, it came with tilt.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Rick, I did a little more digging and checked with a buddy of mine whose a '66 full size expert. He works for GM and loves the '66 Caprice most and has been into '66s since the 80's. On '66 Chevrolet full size cars the connection point for the signal flashers were all the same. The steering column didn't matter. My car for example came with a standard column. The previous owner put a tilt-tele in it. No difference in the connectors on the main harness. My harness has no mods to it. As the assembly manual shows the curved connector should be clipped on that support bar. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 AM

After finishing an I-Car Class tonight, I peeled back the original wiring harness wrap. There are no curved connectors anywhere, and there is no splice and dice wiring in that bundle of wires, except for 2 thick red wires, and they were not done in an amateur manner. The six wires from the turn signal switch go into the harness with no butt connectors, soldering, or electrical tape repairs.

The top pin is a white wire that is routed towards the dash face. The green and yellow wires go to the fuse block. The bottom row of the turn signal connector has a light blue, dark blue, and purple wire. The two blue wires are routed to the block and the purple wire is routed towards the dash face. I assume it goes to the flasher under the radio. The flasher has a purple and brown wire.

Not sure if this photo is helpful, but maybe someone will see something I do not.

This flasher kit has the same colored wires as mentioned above, but also has a gray wire and a black wire not found on that six wire turn signal connector. Haven't taken the time to locate a gray wire, but there are plenty of black wires.

For extra safety, I would really like to make this kit work out, but I don't want to cut up a good, original harness. Felt bad enough removing the wrap. Seems to me I will need more than one bumper harness to make this work, and I am still trying to figure out how to hook this kit up into series.

Yup, car stuff is hard. Thanks for your help guys!

Old 05-17-2017, 03:47 AM

Hmmm, might be having an ohhhhhh moment.

So I'm looking at the N33 tilt wheel page. I can see where that jumper harness in the above link would work. The black wire appears to be for the horn. Still have to figure out what the gray wire is for.

If my thought process is correct, I may have to cut / modify this harness and insert the correct plugs/connectors. Hmmm.

Edit....OK, the jumper harness solves half of the problem. All I need to do next is find that stacked connector (the female connector?) . I could remove the existing 6 pin connector, remove the terminals from it, correctly install them in the female connector, and add the black horn wire. Still need to see where a gray wire fits into this.

Last edited by CC Rider; 05-17-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM

Interesting. I'm looking at the page too. It shows right there on the page the curved connector that's part of the "chassis wiring harness" for the directional signal connection. That's weird that it's not in your car. Take a look at UPC 12, sheet D2. About midway on the right hand side of that page you will see the signal connections with the curved connector. I'm still digging. There's got to be a reason...

Oh, the gray wires are usually an indicator light, like dash lights, heater control, ignition switch. Check and see if there's a light for the shift indicator.

Last edited by mssl72; 05-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:46 PM

My chassis harness does not have that curved / stacked connector.

Also, I seem to have one "extra" dash light / metal socket, and no bulb in it. It is wrapped around the harness. I've tried to locate a possible missing light somewhere, but all components that are supposed to be lit are lit.

I guess the red knob lights when the dash lights are on?

I've ordered what I need to make this work. I should not have to cut anything, just change some spade connectors.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 AM

The more little things you find make me wonder if your harness may have been messed with a little. It's very possible that somebody removed the curved connector and added the other connector on in order to remove the short harness that would normally be there. Does the extra light socket have a grey wire? The red knob lights up when the 4-ways are activated and flashes along with the signal lights.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM

I think you are right Mark. At least someone did not hack up what is there.

Oh, and the extra grey wire with light bulb socket is for the ignition switch. I googled 66 Caprice igntion switch light. What a neat feature. I'll stick a bulb in it and plug it in.

So now I am waiting for the jumper harness and the stacked connector to arrive. The only issue I have remaining is finding a gray wire to add into the harness bundle.

If you guys want pictures, let me know.