Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-Wanted

Please note

Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet427 View Post
4 wheel disc brakes. Lots of options.
4 wheel discs also means a posi in '85, which is a nice thing to have. J65 4 wheel discs and posi were bundled together in '85. Also in '85 I believe the 700R4/LG4 came standard with a 3.23 rear end which should give some decent torque multiplication with the LG4's low RPM torque.

BTW, my yellow '85 came with disc/aluminum drums and an open rear end. With the L69 cammed LB9 and 3.42 gears, it's a one wheel smoke show at anything beyond half throttle. Getting a posi for it is on my "to do" list.

If this '85 actually has 10K miles and is mint, sounds like an interesting car, and one you could have some negotiating leeway with.

Last edited by Chazman; 05-14-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Current buyers of 3rd gens, at least at the auctions, seem to be blind to almost anything except miles. Low miles regardless of lo po motors seem to do very well.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Great thread!
I have been poking around for a 5.7 Iroc myself. Good info on these cars that people on here have brought to the table.

Question: What was the scoop on the 84 Z28 with the HO motor, 5 spd, and 3.73 gears? On paper this thing was only like 175 HP if I remember correctly. However I had a buddy in high school that had one. All he did was remove the catalytic converters and put an aftermarket muffler on the car and that dang thing was beating 5.0 mustangs somehow.
Maybe his was just an apple out of the crate. I always liked the looks and the handling of the Irocs back then and even today.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Not to highjack the thread but would anyone be interested in a 1992 RS Camaro Heritage Edtion red with black stripes only 2900 original miles? My parents bought the car new in Dec of 91 never in bad weather always in the garage and covered.
02 GMMG Hot Rod Edition Camaro #1987
02 Camaro Z28
Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 69/Z28 View Post
Great thread!
I have been poking around for a 5.7 Iroc myself. Good info on these cars that people on here have brought to the table.

Question: What was the scoop on the 84 Z28 with the HO motor, 5 spd, and 3.73 gears? On paper this thing was only like 175 HP if I remember correctly. However I had a buddy in high school that had one. All he did was remove the catalytic converters and put an aftermarket muffler on the car and that dang thing was beating 5.0 mustangs somehow.
Maybe his was just an apple out of the crate. I always liked the looks and the handling of the Irocs back then and even today.

The L69 HO was rated at 190 hp in the Camaro. And came out mid year on the 1983.

It was thrown together fairly urgently when the LU5 Crossfire just wasn't able to hang with 5.0 Mustangs, plus the LU5 was having trouble being certified with a stick.

It was a back to basics hotrodded smallblock, based around a bigger cam, decent compression and MUCH more free flowing exhaust which included bigger exhaust manifolds, bigger Y pipe, new free flowing cat, bigger I-pipe. The Q-jet and ignition were recalibrated and a new free flowing dual duct air cleaner housing was added. Initially they were only available with stick and 3.73s. In the blink of an eye, Z/28 and Trans Am had gotten straight line parity with the Mustang GT.

Trivia: The Crossfire intake manifold was based on the same casting as the 1969 Z/28 Crossram 302. GM reuses EVERYTHING! They reduced the runner size to increase velocity, but it really needed a lot more development. I guess the intake worked better with two 600 CFM Holleys at 7200 RPM than it it did with two 275 CFM TBs at 4500 RPM. LOL!

By the time of it's release no further development was in store for the Crossfire as GM had already moved on to develop TPI.

Trivia #2: The HO motor needed a code, since it didn't have one. As a joke, the engineers who developed it said they should call it the L69. Their boss thought that was pretty funny, and approved it!

Last edited by Chazman; 05-16-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9SECONDYENKO View Post
Not to highjack the thread but would anyone be interested in a 1992 RS Camaro Heritage Edtion red with black stripes only 2900 original miles? My parents bought the car new in Dec of 91 never in bad weather always in the garage and covered.
PM me with details.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Please pm me too w details
Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 PM

Very cool info on the HO's!!
Are those sought after at all? I wonder if those were quicker cars than the ones that came out later with fuel injection. The HO I knew would run with just about anything and most of the time it was in front. The day he took the cats off was the day it was a totally different car. My other buddy had a brand new 86 GT and the HO could never beat it, but it would run with it. After the cats were removed it would be the GT every single time.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 69/Z28 View Post
Very cool info on the HO's!!
Are those sought after at all? I wonder if those were quicker cars than the ones that came out later with fuel injection. The HO I knew would run with just about anything and most of the time it was in front. The day he took the cats off was the day it was a totally different car. My other buddy had a brand new 86 GT and the HO could never beat it, but it would run with it. After the cats were removed it would be the GT every single time.
Certainly sought after on the '83-'84 cars. The best one would be a 1985 IROC-Z, with the L69.

A handful were made in 1986, but those are unicorns. I don't ever remember seeing one, or at least not more than one.

The L69s wouldn't beat a big cam LB9. My yellow '85's LB9 is essentially an L69 with TPI - cam, exhaust, everything. Even saddled with an automatic trans, the TPI was a tenth or two seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than an L69/T5/3.73. Peanut cam LB9 is a different story.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 PM

I had an L69 83 Z28 that I sold last year - with the 3:73 rear gears it was no slouch!

Yes they are the most desirable of the earlier series cars but once the TPI came out they were left behind.

Charlie, 1 of the domestic delivery 86's has been found.
Attached Images

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978