Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-12-2002, 11:34 PM

Default Yenko/Wildfire Camaro

I was just reading the post about the 2002
ZL-1 camaro. Another throwback to the 60's
musclecars is the Yenko/Wildfire Camaro.
I have 1 of the 2 produced in 2001. I have not recently been in contact with the people who are producing these, but at our last discussion the owner stated that he was planning to produce 52 in the year 2002.
The car features a Z06 crate motor worked over by Lingenfelter producing well over 425 h.p. Reworked 6-speed transmission, 4:10 rear axle, and larger brakes. Car has been lowered considerably and has custom functional air induction hood, ground effects, custom rear spoiler, cat-back exhaust, and roll-bar.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-12-2002, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Yenko/Wildfire Camaro

Wildfire Camaro?? havent heard that term for some time. Used to run with a group of guys in N Illinois (73-79) and one of the guys had a Yellow 69 Z/28 with Blue flames painted on it with a 6-71 Dyers blower sticking out of the hood. Had the 70's Prizm tape on the rear qtrs that read WILDFIRE. Made the cover of a few mags back in those days. Oh what good days they were to.

[Edited by HawaiianCamaro (04-12-2002 at 06:54 PM).]
Old 04-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Hawaiian
Where in Illinois exactly?
Old 04-13-2002, 03:43 PM

I used to live in Freeport west of Rockeford in N Illinois the 69 Yellow Z (Wildfire) owner lived in Foreston about 10 min ride until he moved to Freeport (Gary Bordeman) Also was a jade Green 68 RS/SS that had a 6-71 Dyers charger on it that was owned by derf Similar that had prizm tape on the rear spoiler that said Jade Gernade. At the time I didnt have a Camaro I had a burgandy 69 SS Nova with a 396 in it , still in storage at my dads house and it gets taken out yearly when I get home to visit.
Back then the guys in the Camaros would turn their rear tail lamp (67/68) so the back up lights would be on the outside so we could tell if the camaro we were approching at night time was one of ours or from out of town, out of town meant it was time to play.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

HawaiianCamaro
Do you know what ever happed to the Wildfire Camaro or the Jade Grenade? Wildfire was one of the cars that has influenced me to this day. I saw it at the '77 Street Machine Nats in Indy-wish I took a camera to get up close shots. Like you said it was featured in Car Craft, Hot Rod, PHR and Super Street Cars that I know of. Still remember the 15x4 and 15x10 Cragars, Vertical gate shifter, gauges on the cowl etc. Typical "Bad__s" look of the day. The Jade Grenade car was also featured in 2-3 mags.
Dave
Old 04-16-2002, 05:33 AM

I have to call my sister later today and she still in Freeport and ill have her contact either Gary or Derf and see what ever bacame of the cars. I now when i left for the Air Force in 79 they still owned them and Derf also had a 69 chevelle that he droped a HEMI into just for kicks.

Update, Sister said they are in none of the phone books and thinks that Gary moved to Rockford and Derf up to madison. As for the Wildfire camaro it is unsure what ever happened to it and jade Gernade has been rebuilt and has a new owner. Would be neat if the Mags would do a reuion type Feature on the cars from back then and see what they all look like today if there even still around.

[Edited by HawaiianCamaro (04-16-2002 at 12:33 AM).]