Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 06-03-2017, 04:08 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Why a second clutch Tim?

I put a McLeod RST twin and a hydraulic cylinder with custom made mount into my 730hp big block a few years ago and it wasn't as great as I was led to believe it was? This current M22 sbc install that just went into my 68 is the first Hayes clutch I have done in a while and I am glad I went back to a mechanical setup. It's working great behind this little 500hp small block. Had it out banging some gears last night in fact.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,135 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplantdad View Post
LOVE the look of your Nova!
Thanks Bruce! Hope all is well!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 AM
SCR Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Why a second clutch Tim?

I put a McLeod RST twin and a hydraulic cylinder with custom made mount into my 730hp big block a few years ago and it wasn't as great as I was led to believe it was? This current M22 sbc install that just went into my 68 is the first Hayes clutch I have done in a while and I am glad I went back to a mechanical setup. It's working great behind this little 500hp small block. Had it out banging some gears last night in fact.

The steel mid plate got hot spots in it and I am thinking, it would not properly release one of the friction discs. When warm you could not shift into gear with out the car moving and reverse was impossible. I originally though the problem was due to the slave, but I obviously proved myself wrong. Should have changed it while everything was apart. I does not pay to be cheap.

Tim
Old 06-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa68 View Post
The steel mid plate got hot spots in it and I am thinking, it would not properly release one of the friction discs. When warm you could not shift into gear with out the car moving and reverse was impossible. I originally though the problem was due to the slave, but I obviously proved myself wrong. Should have changed it while everything was apart. I does not pay to be cheap.

Tim
Tim,

Two question's...
What make/cranking amps is the battery with the positive on the inside and...

The twin Disc is not any good? I just bought one for the Nova and an Aluminum flywheel and just ready to tear apart...taking out a centerforce clutch to replace with the RST. M23Z is replacing the M21 trans. Quick time shield/plate replacing the mid 70's Lakewood & plate. Let me know your thoughts on the twin Disc.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 06-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I'm there with you Tim!

New installs are rarely without some type of aggravation and we always end up owing the issue ourselves. I had issues when I buttoned up the new engine and installed the transmission here too. Used the wrong clutch fork and had to pull the transmission and bell while it was in the car & swap the Lakewood fork out with a GM fork. The only blessing was I have a 4 post lift in the garage and didn't have to work off the floor.

Hope this is the last bug you have to chase and you get to enjoy the car more when it's all finished up. It's a killer Nova for sure, and like Bruce...I really dig the look and the stance.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 AM
SCR Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Nova Boy View Post
Tim,

Two question's...
What make/cranking amps is the battery with the positive on the inside and...

The twin Disc is not any good? I just bought one for the Nova and an Aluminum flywheel and just ready to tear apart...taking out a centerforce clutch to replace with the RST. M23Z is replacing the M21 trans. Quick time shield/plate replacing the mid 70's Lakewood & plate. Let me know your thoughts on the twin Disc.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Dave,

The battery is a NAPA Legend. I believe the CCA's to be around 650? It's just a standard 24 series battery.

The problem with the clutch is this. I had an issue last year with the trans not wanting to shift into gear when the car was stationary. Reverse would grind like hell..............all when hot. It was fine cold.

I originally attributed the problem to the slave cylinder and the incorrect clearance...........besides it was leaking. So, when I put the car back together, the clutch looked fine and I now had an external adjustable slave.

It was fine cold. Once again, it would not shift stationary and would grind into reverse. My suspicion is once the clutch heated up, the mid steel plate was dragging on the first friction plate against the flywheel, thus spinning the cluster. It's fine when moving, it's fine when cold.

The clutch was adjusted to my liking and it held a ton of power. Butter like pedal..........what's not to like....................until it gets hot.

Certainly, it's a complex piece. I'll let you know if I am on the right track. I am waiting for a different TO bearing.

The motor now........................is a freekin hoot! This car is going to get me in trouble!