Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Clone Complex

My son and I are fairly recent browsers of this board and have to admit that it is a hoot to read some of the friendly banter between some of the members. We have on a number of occasions discussed the ethics of our choice to build a clone of a very special and unique car that is very desirable at this time. I speak of the 69/70 Nova Yenko. I have been justifying to myself and my son that our attempts to recreate such a unique car is basically a way to pay homage to the dreamers that developed these vehicles. We in no way attempt to pass our car off as an original and advise anyone who asks that it is in fact a Clone. My question to all you members out there is two part. 1) How many of the members on this site have or are building original Yenko/COPO/Motion etc cars, and 2) How many on this site are, like me, a clone owner that just wants to pass on the fun and mystique of muscle cars to my son and give him something that no one else in our city or province for that mater has?
I realize this is a fairly lengthy post and apologize for that but I was just wondering....

BTW Merry Christmas to all our American friends from one of the many Canadians that supports you all.

Rob [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-12-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Clone Complex

I'm 18 and have a '76 Motion Camaro Clone. It's fun to drive, and get lots of stares; not to mention the questions on how fast it is or how much power it makes, even though it's got the stock 305 2bbl. I agree that making a clone is okay, as long as you don't try to pass it off as genuine.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:32 PM

Well Rob, I don't fall into either one of your above categories, but am pleased to provide some comments.

Personally I have no problem with anybody that wants to build a "Clone" or "Tribute Car". Since there are so few of those rare models around it's enjoyable to see how one might have been. Having said that, the only concern I would have is somebody trying to sell it under false pretences in the future. Sounds like you and your son are approaching this in the right context and I wish you luck.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

I have the ultimate clone. A very detailed replica of a specific 427 competition Cobra. CSX3002 was the first 427 Cobra built and a hybrid car, part 289 Cobra (front and inside) and part 427 Cobra (wide rear, chassis, and aluminum head side oiler). It has a number of unique features that are replicated on this clone. This car was built with hand pounded aluminum and is correct down to the mixture of gauges and how they are positioned in the dash, fender mounted dry sump, square oil cooler, ventalation, scoops, 42 gallon tank, and front braced roll bar. It even has aluminum heads painted black just like CSX3002. It was displayed at the Monterey Historic Races with the actual CSX3002 after it was built by the folks that restored CSX3002. As the real CSX3002 is the world famous Shelby team car and in the Shelby museum, anyone that knows Cobras will realize that this is a fake. It would also be hard to pass off as legitimate to a buyer.
There are times when I feel guilty about this car, it is really just air, although it is a blast to have. I tell people that it is an aluminum Cobra and most think it's real. It even fools some folks that are familiar with Cobras. Like most clones, one tires of it fairly quickly and wants the real thing. At least, I do. You get the ultimate clone and it just makes you want the real thing more.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:19 PM

My long term plan is to use the exterior paint scheme of a Baldwin Motion SS Camaro on my 70 RS/SS. I have no plans to change the drivetrain to match the BM cars....I just like the look.
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
Old 12-13-2003, 08:51 AM

I'm building a 69 Yenko Camaro Tribute Car. I've tried to be true to the originals in most ways, and patterned mine after a Fathom Green/black stripe car once owned by BKH. The one great departure was air conditioning. My car started life as a small block with A/C. When I rebuilt, I left the A/C, and converted everything to 69-correct b/b A/C parts. Some would consider this a sacrilege, but I'm installing a real COPO (CE replacement) motor.
I try to differentiate the fakes from the tribute cars. Fakes imply fraud; tribute cars do not. Clearly, my intentions are honest.
I just read a thread on another board about a Yenko Camaro. It was stolen, stripped, slavaged, found, rebodied, restamped, and resold. Is that more, or less a fake than a Tribute Car?

You'll find folks on both sides of the issue, here on this board. Some will consider you "one of the boys" and others would prefer that you be banished to a leper colony. It's a great site, so I take the good with the bad.

Tribute or real, owners share one trait...love of the super cars.
Enjoy the hobby with your son.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with clones if they're not misrepresented as the real thing. My son and I are building a Z/28-SS "tribute" car out of a plain Jane Camaro coupe.

I say Z/28-SS because although its painted up like a Z/28 my son wants to put SS badges on it. AND IT STILL HAS A 327 SMALL BLOCK! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 07:08 PM

Leigh will be looking for you at Castle Hill in the future.

Are you aware that around 17 yrs ago a clone was sold for $30,000, from a guy in SA. the owner in Qld took his wife to court, (he had died ) and won, on misrepresentation.
Mentioned this not to put a downer on your car (looking forward to it ) but as general info.
Have fun.
Rgds Terry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]