Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Default COPO Chevelle curiousity question

I am in the middle of restoring my Daytona Yellow COPO Chevelle, one of the very few built with lower side body mouldings and silver paint below like a regular Malibu. I know of the Black car like this that Greg Joseph/Otis Chandler had and I heard of a Garnet Red one in the midwest but was just wondering if you guys know of any others. I still don't know if I really like it that way but it is surely going to stay correct to the original build. So.....any more out there and where is that Black car today ?????
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: COPO Chevelle curiousity question

Sorry George - no knowledge of those cars you mention. Please post a couple of "in-processs" photos of your project. Sounds interesting.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:08 PM

George, did your COPO Chevelle come with a Super Sport or Malibu type grille? Did the Malibu quarter emblems remain as part of the trim or were they deleted like on other 'normal' COPO Chevelles? How about tail panel blackout etc. This is the first I've heard of a COPO Chevelle with the mouldings like a Malibu, I'm curious to hear more about the car.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Malibu grill, MALIBU word on quarters, Silver on tail panel like around the bottom. Both doors and quarters have all the factory welded button head retainers for the mouldings. Holes on quarters for Malibu emblems are factory punched, not drilled. Original owner says this car and another COPO Chevelle came in about the same time to Westminster Motor Co. in Maryland. The other car, a blank paint code car ordered in a Buick brown color, did not have the Malibu trim and he never knew why. I believe the Buick Brown car is/was owned by Randy Miller, now restored in Lemans Blue as he wanted it. Ed Cunneen told me this week he is checking who has the Black COPO with the Malibu trim since Greg Joseph sold it, possibly now in Arizona.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 PM

Were these early production cars? The various steering wheel shroud mistake was as simple as the installer picking up the wrong part. To get all the Malibu trim, this would have to be scheduled before the car was ever built. Definitely not a minor mistake. The build sheet should show the details. Perhaps all the scheduling details hadn't been worked out before these cars were built. Interesting.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 AM

My paperwork shows order recieved April 21, 1969. Car did not get to dealer until July as date on orig MSO I got from Maryland DMV is dated July 1. What I guess is these few cars were built as Malibu hardtop bodies instead of SS bodies like the rest. Too bad they didn't really screw up and use 300 sedans...........how cool would that have been ?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 AM

Our SS car is almost identical to our COPO except that it is the 300 Deluxe version. The 300 Deluxe interior definitely catches people's attention. It would be one different COPO for sure. Would love to see pictures of your car some time.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:52 PM

George, I checked the broadcast sheet on the black COPO Chevelle you mentioned , and it does not have any reference to the Malibu trim that I could determine.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:50 PM

My Body Broadcast Copy (the white sheet with the blue boxes) does not show anything I can identify but does have codes I dont know the meaning of. I would love to compare it box by box to another one we know does not have Malibu trim. A Yenko would work also. Anybody got one to compare ?