Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 08-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thumbs up Frank Hawley's drag racing school

My wife bought me the best gift ever for last year's birthday and Christmas presents; a trip to Frank Hawley's drag racing school. This past Tuesday and Wednesday I went to Maple Grove Raceway in Mohnton, PA to fulfill a lifelong dream.

I opted to drive the Super Comp dragster; I also had the option to drive a Super Gas Firebird.
Frank Hawley is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and, in his classroom instructions, taught the class some very useful life lessons; things that we can use outside of racing. He is extremely knowledgeable and made the instruction portion very interesting. My wife paid to attend the classroom sessions and even she enjoyed it.

At the end of the last day I had made my best pass; 8.393 @ 161.65 mph.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Ed Hedrick was also in the class with me; what a gentleman he is. Very humble, very nice and shared some fascinating stories with me about cars he's owned / raced as well as some great racing stories. He brought his own car to drive; a really clean Nova.

If you ever get the chance to attend Frank's school I highly recommend it; Frank's a class guy and his crew, Derek and Jim, were equally as accommodating.

These were two days that I will not soon forget.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Rifkin For This Useful Post:
Damien (08-20-2017), Keith Seymore (08-21-2017), PeteLeathersac (08-19-2017), SS427 (08-19-2017)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Now this is cool stuff!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earntaz View Post
Now this is cool stuff!!!

Times two!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Yenko Paid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rifkin View Post
My wife bought me the best gift ever for last year's birthday and Christmas presents; a trip to Frank Hawley's drag racing school. This past Tuesday and Wednesday I went to Maple Grove Raceway in Mohnton, PA to fulfill a lifelong dream.

I opted to drive the Super Comp dragster; I also had the option to drive a Super Gas Firebird.
Frank Hawley is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and, in his classroom instructions, taught the class some very useful life lessons; things that we can use outside of racing. He is extremely knowledgeable and made the instruction portion very interesting. My wife paid to attend the classroom sessions and even she enjoyed it.

At the end of the last day I had made my best pass; 8.393 @ 161.65 mph.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Ed Hedrick was also in the class with me; what a gentleman he is. Very humble, very nice and shared some fascinating stories with me about cars he's owned / raced as well as some great racing stories. He brought his own car to drive; a really clean Nova.

If you ever get the chance to attend Frank's school I highly recommend it; Frank's a class guy and his crew, Derek and Jim, were equally as accommodating.

These were two days that I will not soon forget.
And a Canuck to boot EH
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Forgot to add; if you successfully complete the 6 runs Frank completes a certificate that he mails to you. You can then take that certificate, attach your six time slips and mail it off to the NHRA. They will send you a license which certifies you to drive that class car.

I don't have a car and really don't need the license but, I am going to send it off anyway just so I can say I have a license to drive a Super Comp dragster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Rifkin For This Useful Post:
Damien (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rifkin View Post
Forgot to add; if you successfully complete the 6 runs Frank completes a certificate that he mails to you. You can then take that certificate, attach your six time slips and mail it off to the NHRA. They will send you a license which certifies you to drive that class car.

I don't have a car and really don't need the license but, I am going to send it off anyway just so I can say I have a license to drive a Super Comp dragster.
Sounds like money well spent. Did you have any previous drag racing experience?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 PM

Not really; as a kid I raced a few times on the street but, my only experience on the drag strip was when I took my Corvette down a few times on a day at the track with some fellow Corvette owners.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Rifkin For This Useful Post:
CamarosRus (08-23-2017), seventieshow (08-21-2017)