Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 AM

Default Re: 69 Trans Am Convertible at Mecum, VALUE?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 Forest Green Zee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well as I suspected, Robert's 1969 TA convert was a no sale at 1.1 million....kinda glad to see him keep it. He sure has a great collection of very rare Pontiacs. </div></div>
What was the reserve on that bad ass T/A convertible...........1.1 mil was a cool number
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

What happened to my earlier posts on this thread?

They seem to have been deleted.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,977 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to my earlier posts on this thread?
They seem to have been deleted. </div></div>

Nothing's amiss Steve...it's still alive if this is the posting you're referring to below?.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthrea...3775#Post423775

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Yup, that confirms my suspicions...I forgot I had a short term memory problem...again!

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69 L88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 Forest Green Zee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well as I suspected, Robert's 1969 TA convert was a no sale at 1.1 million....kinda glad to see him keep it. He sure has a great collection of very rare Pontiacs. </div></div>
What was the reserve on that bad ass T/A convertible...........1.1 mil was a cool number </div></div>

The auctioneer stated that it would take another 300k to buy the car.

Did the car sell after the auction?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Thanked 7,178 Times in 1,578 Posts

Since winter has finally arrived I decided to spend some time looking through some old magazines I have. I happened to start with Hot Rod and in the April 78 issue they had a story on the Trans Am and mention that only two convertibles were built in 69.

In the August 78 issue Ted Gallas wrote in saying he had purchased a 69 Firebird convertible several years earlier with a big block Chevy engine in it that looked just like the one pictured in the article except it was a convertible. He had been told that there was no such thing as a Trans Am convertible so he thought it was just a Firebird. At the time it was stored in his buddies barn, but he supplied the VIN 223679N104810 and asked the editor if it could be one of the two 69 T/A convertibles. The editor confirmed that it was a T/A convertible. This is the #2 T/A convertible with a Parchment interior that is currently owned by D. Mecum.

In the November 78 issue there is a letter from Ken Edgerton stating he owns a 69 T/A convertible with VIN 223679N104808. He purchased the car in 73 and is the second owner. The car had 62K miles and still had the original drivetrain. At the time he was using it as daily transportation and to tow his boat on the weekends. This is the #1 T/A convertible that was restored by Level One several years ago and is part of the Brothers Collection.

Also in the November 78 issue there is a letter from Charles Adams stating he is the original owner of VIN 223679N109938 and that the car is in perfect condition and is one of his proudest possessions. This is the #7 T/A convertible that was restored by The Finer Details several years ago and is also part of the Brothers Collection.

In this issue the editor also states that there were eight T/A convertibles built in 69 with four being four-speed and four being automatics. I found this rather interesting reading so I thought I would share it with the rest of you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrays For This Useful Post:
flyingn (12-06-2017), L_e_e (12-06-2017), Tracker1 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 AM

All 8 are accounted for. There was a lengthy article in the January 2016 edition of POCI's "Smoke Signals" covering how the 8 were equipped.

Other trivia:

- 3 of the 8 cars were delivered to Canada.
- 4 of the 8 cars had 4-speed transmissions, 4 had automatics.
- 0 of the 8 cars had the standard 3-speed manual trans.
- 0 of the 8 cars were equipped with the optional RAIV engine.
- 0 of the 8 cars had air conditioning.
- Trans Am #7 on this list had the most options, and had the highest MSRP.
- 8 of 8 cars were ordered with optional Rally II Wheels.

Mike
Attached Images

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Why were only 8 produced?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
Why were only 8 produced?
It's simply all that were ever ordered. The 1969 Trans Am was a failure in the marketplace, but sales would recover nicely in the 1970's. The 1969 Trans Am was a serious performance car, not just stickers and a wing, and Pontiac's target audience were enthusiasts that wanted a 1/4 miler as well as one that could corner, like a Boss 302 or Z/28, so the 1969 Trans Am in the convertible format didn't appeal to buyers.

Mike

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrays View Post
Since winter has finally arrived I decided to spend some time looking through some old magazines I have. I happened to start with Hot Rod and in the April 78 issue they had a story on the Trans Am and mention that only two convertibles were built in 69.

In the August 78 issue Ted Gallas wrote in saying he had purchased a 69 Firebird convertible several years earlier with a big block Chevy engine in it that looked just like the one pictured in the article except it was a convertible. He had been told that there was no such thing as a Trans Am convertible so he thought it was just a Firebird. At the time it was stored in his buddies barn, but he supplied the VIN 223679N104810 and asked the editor if it could be one of the two 69 T/A convertibles. The editor confirmed that it was a T/A convertible. This is the #2 T/A convertible with a Parchment interior that is currently owned by D. Mecum.

In the November 78 issue there is a letter from Ken Edgerton stating he owns a 69 T/A convertible with VIN 223679N104808. He purchased the car in 73 and is the second owner. The car had 62K miles and still had the original drivetrain. At the time he was using it as daily transportation and to tow his boat on the weekends. This is the #1 T/A convertible that was restored by Level One several years ago and is part of the Brothers Collection.

Also in the November 78 issue there is a letter from Charles Adams stating he is the original owner of VIN 223679N109938 and that the car is in perfect condition and is one of his proudest possessions. This is the #7 T/A convertible that was restored by The Finer Details several years ago and is also part of the Brothers Collection.

In this issue the editor also states that there were eight T/A convertibles built in 69 with four being four-speed and four being automatics. I found this rather interesting reading so I thought I would share it with the rest of you.
One of those was in Massachusetts out near Boston and the other was in New Orleans. That article started the chase that lasted 40 years until the last one - Gordon's car - was "found" just north of Detroit.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
x44d80 (12-06-2017)