Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Copo Camaro Radiator

Hi All - I just received a "re-cored" radiator for my car. I was told it would be rebuilt....just not painted.

I have a few questions and comments. First - it looks like as*. The brackets are rusty as heck, one of the tanks looks rough near the filler - not sure if the curved neck is at the proper angle, not sure about the one mounting bracket - looks like it was cut....maybe that's how they area? The lower outlet is bent-up....no real attempt was made to work it. Looks like the petcock is crooked....in other words - I need to do the whole thing over. It does have the proper tanks OO and IO and a good date for my car - C (March). I paid a ton for this....3 times more than I have ever paid for a rare Mopar rad.....I just want it to be correct.

So - does the curve neck look properly lined up? How about the side bracket....is that cut factory? What is the proper gloss for paint? The rest - I will have properly fixed and restored. Thanks all.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Copo Camaro Radiator

A few more....

Old 06-26-2015, 01:17 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Looks pretty good to me. You could use some safest rust remover to clean up the surface rust.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 PM

Ok - Great - Thank you Charley
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM

i think it looks sloppy IMO - - for a high end car getting restored. Might be ok for a driver/survivor....

not sure about the curve neck, but when we do radiators - our guy takes them all apart - we pick them up and media clean all the metal
parts, tanks, top and side etc....then we take the dents out...when we are happy with the finish - we bring them back to the rad shop to install with the new core.....soldering is done nice and smooth.....we get them back, any final cleanup on the tanks,rails etc is done and prepped for final finish work - paint applied.....then come out very nice....they take work, again, depend on what your looking for.....

not criticizing here anyones work - - but if you want a show car finish - the rad needs some help

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Agree with the Pope on comments above.

Curved Neck looks fine to me. Seal it up and let it soak in tub of "Evapo Rust".
Old 06-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

It looks like the radiator was built from some of the reproduction components Heartbeat sells. The brackets are not like the originals I have, slight differences from original. Most originals are very crust/pitted so repro is probably the best option. Also, the filler neck overflow is angled about 90 degrees from what I have seen on original radiators. How does the I O tank look? Not hard to create a curve neck radiator from a standard 4 core by making the I O tank and adding the curve neck.

I have 3 originals radiators I am working on now, I can send you pictures if you need any. I have A B and C dated to compare to.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

I agree w/Mark.
It looks a lil too modern to me.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Banned

So what is original on a $ 4,000 Copo radiator from Heartbeat, anything?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enio45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think it looks sloppy IMO - - for a high end car getting restored. Might be ok for a driver/survivor....

not sure about the curve neck, but when we do radiators - our guy takes them all apart - we pick them up and media clean all the metal
parts, tanks, top and side etc....then we take the dents out...when we are happy with the finish - we bring them back to the rad shop to install with the new core.....soldering is done nice and smooth.....we get them back, any final cleanup on the tanks,rails etc is done and prepped for final finish work - paint applied.....then come out very nice....they take work, again, depend on what your looking for.....

not criticizing here anyones work - - but if you want a show car finish - the rad needs some help

</div></div>

I know - It is getting everything you mentioned above - it's the only way for any/all of my cars. I tried buying the untouched original core so I could do all of the above - but that wasn't an option. So mo-money, mo-money, mo-money.... lol