Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Default Luby Chevrolet's "Boss Lady"

Hey all:
I am new to the Supercar Registry. I have been a fan of 1st gen Camaros since my second car, a 1967 base Camaro, 6cyl/three on the tree. It didn't stay that way for very long as I replaced them with a 327 and Muncie 4-speed which I purchased from non-other than Jerry MacNeish. Jerry and I played in a band together for several years in the 70's and 80's. The car that really hooked me was a 1968 SS396 built by Luby Chevrolet in Baltimore to race in the SS/EA brackets under the name of the "Boss Lady". My dad was the Parts Manager at Luby at that time and I have very fond memories of going to work with him and witnessing the building of that car for the strip. I also spent many weekends watching her race, with my dad driving the car for many of those weekends. I would like to find that car, if she still exists. If anyone in the forum has any information that could help me find her or learn of her fate, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Joe
[img]https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/use...pital_raceway.j[/img]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Luby Chevrolet's "Boss Lady"

Good luck in your search Joe. Pretty neat to have that connection to the car. I've seen a video of JM playing the drums. Impressive!
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 01-03-2016, 12:57 AM

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,144 Posts
Default Luby Chevrolet's "Boss Lady"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey all:
I am new to the Supercar Registry. I have been a fan of 1st gen Camaros since my second car, a 1967 base Camaro, 6cyl/three on the tree. It didn't stay that way for very long as I replaced them with a 327 and Muncie 4-speed which I purchased from non-other than Jerry MacNeish. Jerry and I played in a band together for several years in the 70's and 80's. The car that really hooked me was a 1968 SS396 built by Luby Chevrolet in Baltimore to race in the SS/EA brackets under the name of the &quot;Boss Lady&quot;. My dad was the Parts Manager at Luby at that time and I have very fond memories of going to work with him and witnessing the building of that car for the strip. I also spent many weekends watching her race, with my dad driving the car for many of those weekends. I would like to find that car, if she still exists. If anyone in the forum has any information that could help me find her or learn of her fate, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Joe

</div></div>

I posted pictures of the Boss Lady here a couple years back asking for info plus a link to another site where it looks like maybe you were posting about it?
One of the pics was the same as you just posted but here's the others below also a link to the past thread.
Welcome aboard Joe, looking forward to hearing more about this cool car!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

sYc link...
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...ss-lady-camaro

Old 01-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Thanks Pete and Tony. I have the pictures. Another Boss Lady enthusiast in MD had them and sent them to me. That Superchevy post from a couple of years ago was me. The guy I responded to who said he had owned her never responded. I was hoping he would have the vin and some info to help me find her but that didn't happen. Hopefully someone in this group will have something. And yes Tony,JM was,and still is quite a drummer.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:11 AM

[img]https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/use...5042368_5581080[/img]
Here's one from the archives.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 PM

Any luck Joe? I responded to your email and never heard back from you. Jerry asked me about anything that may have been laying around the dealership when Anderson bought them out, but no joy. You must remember it was many years ago. I do know that Sonny Freeman, who drove the Anderson Olds race cars did work at Luby after leaving 25th St. I'm pretty sure that Luby only campaigned that one car, and stayed close to home; some of the above photos are from Capitol Raceway and Cecil County.
Good luck in your search and please update us if you do find something.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:35 PM

Thanks. That's one I haven't seen. Do you know where it was taken? I am looking for something that may contain her VIN so if you come across anything let me know. Thanks again. Joe
Old 01-31-2016, 03:08 PM

That last archive photo show &quot;SS/HA&quot;, which I'm correct means the car wasn't sporting the 375hp engine at that point. My guess is they weren't competitive in &quot;E&quot; and dropped down and ran a 325 or 350 hp.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 PM

Is the Luby car Palamino Ivory?
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 PM

No, from what I remember she was Ermine White.