Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default The fallout from "self driving cars"...

GM announced that they will have an autonomous car ready for the market in 2019.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/b...rless-car.html

Whether or not it is ready in 2019, the day will be here soon.

I was thinking about the fallout when driverless cars become the norm.

Apparently they will be much safer than cars driven by humans. No surprise there.
The downside I see to that safety margin is that it will be irresistible for the government to keep there nose out of the business of those who like to turn their own steering wheel. Ironically enough, the @#$%^&*# in California, the mecca of the car culture, will probably be the ones to lead the charge.

It is going to be hard to resist banning drive it yourself cars when they are killing machines compared to driverless cars.

If the worst case scenario comes to pass, what will happen to the car "hobby"? I ain't paying 4 mil for a Hemi Cuda ragtop if I can't drive it.

Will they came out with a retrofit kit so that Cuda can drive itself(be nice for bracket racers), will rich folks start driving clubs with private driving circuits or will the market for collector car collapse?

I am not saying this will happen, but I'm a "the glass is empty and the damn thing dropped on the floor and shattered" kind of guy.

While we are on the subject of driverless cars, when they become the norm, what will traffic cops do? Ticket revenue will drop to darn near nothing.

What will body shop do? Those cars won't be crashing themselves(very often).

We will need a lot less ambulance chasers. A lot less DUI lawyers. A lot less trauma centers.

What will insurance companies do? Sure, you will need some insurance, but I would guess it won't be much.

How about high end new cars? I'm not buying a new Lambo if I can't wring it out.

Heck, if I'm not driving my car it might as well be a Prius.

I could see the parts/modification after market drying up too.

It should cut down on traffic congestion. Those cars should be able to drive nose to tail at WOT. Cut your commute in half. Maybe we won't need so may new lanes around Atlanta after all.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by southernfriedcj; 01-14-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

I've been thinking about the very same things as you have. What will I do with my Camaro when it's illegal for me to drive it? What will I do with all of my big block Chevy parts and other go fast stuff when I can't enjoy them anymore? Who is going to want the muscle cars when they are illegal to drive? I don't want to ride in a car that I'm not driving. I don't like anti lock brakes and other automatic controls that take the car out of my hands. I know that it's coming, but I don't like it.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:25 PM

I would think a LOT more would have to happen, politically, for our cars to become illegal nationwide. I could see the push for this to happen in metropolitan areas, inside city limits, where no one gives a crap about driving cars anyway. Like, if you want to drive to the city, you can drive to a point then get on a train or call a driving service. However, I think, as long as rural people own rural land and continue to choose to be self sufficient, forcing them to spend a lot of money for a vehicle they don't want, can't control and can't afford to fix may make them feel like their freedom is being messed with, a little more.

I, personally, struggle with modern cars already. They Just don't do EXACTLY what you tell them to do. They only do what they "think" you should do. No doubt, modern performance cars are badass but the biggest thing I miss about my old SRT10 truck is the cable that connected the pedal to the throttle.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

The connection between the thread "EPA ban on race cars" the attack on the internal combustion engine in general and now the rise of autonomous vehicles is all part of UN Agenda 2030.

Skip to the executive summary here:

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...0Transport.pdf
Old 01-15-2018, 02:28 AM

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

I'll be housebound unless I can walk where ever I am going.

I get car sick if I wheel around in my desk chair too fast.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

I just don't see it happening. Instead of Taxis and Limos - maybe. But ALL cars - never happen.

How does a self driving car pull into a gas station and get gas?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Since they're already trying to do away with gasoline I'd assume everything would be electric.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 AM

So I guess we will see the proliferation of the State/Federal ID card huh? If all cars are driverless what need is there for a Drivers License which just happens to be the main form of identification in use today and for the foreseeable future.

And BIG OIL gives up gasoline as revenue and the Insurance Industry gives up large insurance rates on cars cause there will be no need for collision or major medical . . . right?

Dream on!

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 01-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 AM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

I can tell you that an enormous pile of $$$ is being funneled into autonomous vehicles and EVs, funded by the sale of higher-margin 'conventional' vehicles. Not sure how the whole story will play out, but I have worked on, and peripheral to, EV/AV technology for 15 years and am floored by the progress made on the technology over the last 24 months.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 AM

The BIG money is going into electric car technology - $90 BILLION.