Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Awesome project. Thanks for taking the time to share. I excited to see every update on your truck project and I'm sure I will be just as ancy for more posts on this one.

Jason
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Thanked 1,364 Times in 662 Posts

Can't wait to watch this one come along, and I love your posts. RIP Gary.
John 10:30
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Keep up the good work Dave. Looking forward to the photos and narratives.

Phil
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Thanks guys! I appreciate the well-wishes! It'll be a long process, but they all are. It probably won't move as fast as the '49 Truck did, but there's a bit more work to do on this one. Glad you guys enjoy my threads! Can't really do anything else sitting in hotel rooms on layovers, so might as well write informatuitive posts [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] I think [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] ...anyway, onto more build junk!

I got the front suspension just about done. What often happens when I restore parts/cars, think about the guys who built these things and the car coming down the assembly line. Mopar lower control arms were natural stamped steel and then dipped into a bucket of cosmoline for rust protection. How far down varies, but most were to about where the large rivet is right by the ball joint. Wonder if the control arm guy had any other jobs to do?

Frank: &quot;Hey Steve, what you doing today?&quot;
Steve: &quot;Oh, nothing. Just dipping control arms. It's supposed to be dipped to the rivet, but I'm going to do a few before it and maybe just one after it so forty years from now it'll be the topic of discussion on internet forums. You?&quot;
Frank: &quot;I see. I'm going to put markings all over the place so those same guys freak out trying to reproduce them. And I'll only put them on some things, and not others just to start a few fights. Hey, what's this &quot;internet&quot; thing you're talking about?? Do I know him?&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

With only 53,000 miles on the car, and nobody making correct repros on the drag links, I just cleaned up the originals.

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Here's the before pics on the suspension. Marking guy was at it as evidence by the torsion bar adjuster arm having a very large Orange marking after tightening. I'll replicate that afterwards. How I know it was done after installation, and not &quot;dipped&quot; as some claim, is the fact that the side of the control arm had the marking where the brush touched the vertical part of the control arm. The left side was considerably larger than the right side...

Marking guy was here too. Yellow paint marking on the lower adjuster sleeve, and red paint blop on the castle nut
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM

You sure do some nice work there my Aviation brother, now get Kelly a box of small size gloves and git her working... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM

Sometimes those LCA &quot;rocker arms&quot; are different colors from one side to the other....orange, blue.
All my cars have different combo's. Looking at a lot of low mile cars - I think they appear to be paint dipped before the LCA gets assembled.

The tie rod clamps (and the sleeves, bolts and nuts) are usually zinc phosphate plated as well. Can't think of anything other than the odd hood latch hardware that has any black oxide on it.

The work you are doing looks good.....I guess I should get back over to the A12 site.....been awhile [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]. I am Maxwellwedge over there.

Have a look at my GTX details showing some good shots of the LCA's etc. GTX...
Old 04-13-2016, 03:29 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Nice car Jim!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks Rick!
I'm thinking of bringing it to MCACN this year for Vintage Certification.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Jim,

Thanks for the tips and man, that's a NICE car!!!! You GOTTA bring that to MCACN for sure!!!! I'll be there this year and would like to meet you in person. Interesting thing on those lower control arms. I had a '68 St. Louis built Charger R/T that had blue on the control arm torsion adjusters. Both of mine on the Bee showed Orange. The k-frame on the st.louis car has a yellow brush mark on the steering box mount, idler arm mount, and a green brush stroke on the passenger side motor mount under the bolt on motor mount. The brush mark was on the welded perch on the k-frame. Nothing like that on this one. Yellow brush mark on the idler arm mount though. Understood on the sleeve finish [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I knew that after I did it that I'd have to redo it. You're a plethora of knowledge as is a lot of those guys on the A12 board for sure. Broke the springs down and will be blasting them later this week. New liners, pads, bolts/bushings/pads/clamps from Badalson are on deck to be installed. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

PS: Don't you worry Mikey....Kelly will be out here helping shortly!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

Dave