Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Re: My new 68 El Camino project

Thanks Verne. I may check it out.
So, we are El Camino brothers. I didn't even know you had a 69. Kind of late model for you, isn't it, with that fancy column mounted ignition switch and the reverse interlock?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I consider it a "modern" car. All the modern conveniences including A/C. The hitch is really tucked under the bumper and doesn't "announce" itself or wait to bruise your shin.
Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Very nice Verne.
Did you convert the a/c to 134a refrigerant?

Saw a really good thread over at Team Chevelle where a guy used a 69 Camaro plate holder and put the receiver behind the plate, completely out of sight. Of course you had to pull down the plate to use it, so I am guessing some law enforcement would frown on that.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:07 PM

Can I join the fray? Here's my 138 car I purchased last November. Factory color was Butternut Yellow w/ the Black Vinyl roof.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice Verne.
Did you convert the a/c to 134a refrigerant?
</div></div>

Yes I did. I sent the original hoses to that outfit in FL and they fitted the original fittings (replated) to the new hoses. They did a great job. I didn't need to do anything to the compressor. I was surprised how well it cools, but then the passenger compartment is half the size of a car.....

The heater will roast you out!

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

PS: One thing that really surprised me about the ELC was when I put it in the same garage along side my '62 Impala. They're both the SAME length even though the ELC is based on a mid-sized car!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 AM

Default Hidden trailer hitch

Well, I was bored this weekend (got the Studebaker truck running like a beast.. what a torque monstor with the Crane roller cam recommended by Eric. 350 engine using a NP 542 5 speed. So much freaking fun to drive. Got the dual carbs rebuilt on the Opel GT and waiting on the machine shop to bore & deck the block, clean up the head and balance the rotating assy.

So.. decided that even though Vern's trailer hitch looks pretty righteous, I wanted a hidden hitch. The wagons had the gas tank filler under the license plate, like a 69 Camaro.

Ialso wanted to beef up the frame a bit in the back as the last 2 feet or so are not boxed, and that doesn't work out well for towing heavy loads. You cannot see any part of the hitch (with the plate up) from the rear or the sides.

Here is the write up I did over at team chevelle. I rarely get on that site.

Used the Wagon fold down license plate holder.

Bought a combo weld on receiver on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170770768906...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attached a pic, because the link will eventually die.

Used 1/4 inch plate steel for the ends, welded on a 4 inch 1/4 thich tube cut to 38" long.

Welded 1.5" angle iron inside the frame rails.

Gas tank is a really tight fit, but it does not hit anywhere, so no rubbing. If I were to do it over again, I would make the end plates about 1 inch shorter. It would make it easier to install the tank. Couldn't have done it without some help from my angel of a wife.

I will be installing a 7 way harness set up. My trailer has brakes, so I want all the help I can get.

Already installed cargo springs, air shockes, boxed the rear control arms and added frame stiffeners. The hitch set up partially boxes the rear frame rails, so everything is much stronger than before.

Added a quick steering box last weekend. I had it on my 69 Z at one time, and I believe I got that box off a 90's Trans Am WS6. Fortunately, I saved the metric hose set up from 20 years ago.

I also added 12 inch brakes to the front. Anyone who is interested can read the story here : http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...e-upgrade.html

Still to go:
1. decide on a radio
2. install the rest of the factory air parts.
3. Paint eventually, but I have some other serious projects lined up in front of this one.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lynn; 03-20-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Love it!

1970 Top Secret Very Special Muscle Car in restoration by MASCAR to be unveiled at MCACN 2020

Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM

Well, now I have a dumb question. I haven't messed with a brake controller (for the electric trailer brakes) since the 70's.

Have no controller right now, and need recommendations. I realize a lot of the later model (later than my 68 at least) trucks have integrated wiring already.

I looked at an Odyssey II that says it is pressure sensitive, but didn't see any reference to plumbing into the brake system. How can it be pressure sensitive without that?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALLEY-ODYSS...1TCtAL&vxp=mtr

About the same cost is a Drawtite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Activator-IV...RWdBM4&vxp=mtr

Any advice appreciated.

Lynn

What would work well?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Went with the drawtite.

Going to haul a pretty heavy load on Sat. if all works out.

Should be a high of 68 degrees in our area. Tranny is a 4L60E out of a Suburban.
Engine runs nice and cool on the highway, right at 180 degrees.

I know I should not leave it in OD with a full load.

Would you recommend a separate trans cooler plumbed in line with the radiator trans cooler?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 AM

Made one of the dumbest purchases of my life. The "heavy load" I was referring to was an old Hunter aligment lift. It wasn't the model I was thinking of when I put in a low ball bid. Sucker must weigh 5000 pounds. My trailer weighs almost 2k. So, my twin 3500 pound axles were at the max. On top of that, the load was not centered very well on the trailer, so had too much tongue weight, and only 90 psi in the air shocks.

Good news is the El Camino performed flawlessly on the 300 mile trip. I honestly think this little El Camino could haul a 9k load without issue with the tongue weight about 600 lbs and 180 or so in the shocks. Rock steady at 65 mph all the way home even with the 40 mph cross winds. I think all the mods helped (boxed lower control arms in the rear, bigger sway bars, front and rear, frame stiffeners as used on the later big block cars, and boxing the rear of the frame rails).

Had to get up at 5 a.m. and get it hauled back in time for a 1 pm appoinment yesterday. Real fun loading in the cold rain with 40 mph wind. You would think I would be old enough to learn by now.

Checked the oil level on the way home and it hadn't moved even a hair off the full mark. Towing is a great test to see if your rings seated. This is my first highway adventure since the engine build.

Only complaint is the fuel pump. I will start another thread on that issue.