Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Seems like this type of car being added to the registry needs to have some type of notation stating something along the lines of: no paperwork or drivetrain but believed to be based on telltail signs. My concern is people rely on our list but this car has no drivetrain or docs. Maybe cars like this get their own ‘maybe’ section.
CanCOPO (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

I don't believe there has been a documented L78 with an X44 trim tag?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

It's not easy to get a car added to the registry. We have at least 20 registration requests that have been refused pending more documentation. I wouldn't even add my own BY copo until I had it independently certified by JM. We add the disclaimer to the registry because it's not inconceivable that a mistake could be made on an entry. IMO, that's why it's important to have the registry indicate the "back-up" info that the car has (i.e - ownership history, factory/dealer docs, and certifications). As with any rare classic car, the more "back-up" the better. IMO - the less "back-up" = less value.

Roger contacted me before bidding on the car that is the subject of this thread & I shared everything in our DB (except names - they are always kept confidential). If the registry indicated that it had a POP, window sticker, vintage photos, original drive train, etc. - I'm sure that he would have been encouraged to be more aggressive in bidding.

We do keep a file on drive train components, but it's not indicated on the public registry because it's just so hard to distinguish definitively "OE" versus "numbers match" versus "I just found my original BE rear", etc. Gosh - the ZL1s alone seem to find their "original engines" a lot! So, we keep a file & notes on all of the cars that contains additional non-confidential information available to our community(unless the owner or registrant requests that it not be shared).

Finally, I'm just the clerk - if you want changes made, I suggest that you let Steve know & he will make a determination. :-)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Someone has contacted me to let me know he was interested in the car and while asking for other pics he noticed the firewall did not have the piercing in the usual place for the cowl induction wiring.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 AM

I just want to say that i did contact bergy, and he gave me all the info he had. The person that contacted charley about this COPO also contacted me and told me about the concerns he had with the car. I thank both of them for their information and help. The seller did not know it was anything other than a 69 camaro. And talking with the seller, i am not sure he would understand where to look for the cowl induction firewall pierce. I have not seen a pic of that area of the car. But i agree that the registry should review policies on cars entered.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 AM

I think it is Important to keep the Registry pure. That is the best word I could think of. No docs or drivetrain, I don’t care who certifies it I don’t think it should be in the Registry. I think it should be listed in a separate ‘maybe’ Registry.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Up to the community. That decision is way above my pay grade. Registrar just needs direction on:

1. Drivetrain - who will be determining if it's original versus re-stamp? Are we going to lean on an expert certification, or just take the registrant's word for it?

2. Docs - who will determine original docs versus re-pro? Also, what docs (or combination of docs) suffice? Again - are we going to lean on an expert analysis, or just take the registrant's word for it?

If we move all cars without known original engine stamps and/or known original factory/dealer documents - we move about 80% of the cars to the "maybe" registry. If we require that all stamps and/or docs be certified - we have to move a lot more cars to "maybe". IMO - we placed the disclaimer there for a reason - mistakes can (and will) happen. If the subject car does not have ZL2 (and the firewall isn't cut up), then it's a mistake. The car has been on the CRG DB as a COPO since 2011. Our registry does not accept all COPOs on the CRG DB carte blanche - but with knowledgeable inspection we have. We can add a column that indicates "factory documents and/or original engine", but someone will have to provide the list of the appropriate cars that qualify. Right now, we have engine date stamps & docs in the DB, but no certification as to originality.

For what it's worth, we have already added 3 columns to the public registry to briefly reveal the cars pedegree. Maybe you guys can discuss this subject at MCACN and provide additional direction.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,172 Times in 1,339 Posts

I believe that we can always improve the registry, and quite honestly Bruce has done a tremendous job organizing and gathering information. I have a couple of ideas that should clarify a cars status, and validate that it qualified for the registry.

Managing the registry is quite a task, and I thank Bruce for all his efforts.

Regarding the registry, a couple of weeks ago I asked Marlin Spotts to be the administrator for the Deuce Registry and he has agreed. Like Bruce he has the passion and integrity and an all around great guy and hobbyist.!!!!

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
NovaMob03 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM

My apology to Bruce. He is doing a tremendous job. One of the reasons I passed the site onto Steve is just this type of thing that needs to be addressed but I know I wouldn’t put in the effort to get it done.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:58 PM

No apology needed Charley. You're one of the pillars of our hobby and your input is appreciated. You're the man who hired me for this job! You were correct though.... when you said that the pay sucks.