Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

My 69 Z/28 was a race car for many decades and the original housing was still in it. With the perches moved a couple times, ladder bar brackets welded on and all of the twisting it had over the years, the thing was looking like a boomerang if you know what I mean.

Numbers were no longer on the tube to be seen as the ladder bar brackets went over the build date numbers with any welds or grinding marks left to take care of any other remnants on the old stamp. Housing was so bent up that I simply sold it for the parts it had in it. The rest was considered junk and looked just like the subject diff does in this post. I think I got $1000 for the sum of it in parts given it had race disks, a spool, HD yoke and an Ultimate cover. The rest in my opinion was worthless after being hacked up, ground and welded upon. I don't know how any original stamp could survive that, and if its twisted as mine was, the value is in the toilet IMHO.

Last edited by NorCam; 04-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I saw the ad on craigslist and I know the owner Matt and have bought parts from him.

Hid reputation as a parts vendor is impecable. I'd bet that this rear is real BE...
Old 04-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv69s View Post
I saw the ad on craigslist and I know the owner Matt and have bought parts from him.

Hid reputation as a parts vendor is impecable. I'd bet that this rear is real BE...
Just for clarification.... I'm not questioning his reputation. I'm questioning the rear end. An honest man can be mistaken or mislead by others telling them what's real and what's "Memorex." When there is as much money involved as what he's asking and is obviously a re-stamp (legit or not), he better be ready for the vetting that should come with it.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
My 69 Z/28 was a race car for many decades and the original housing was still in it. With the perches moved a couple times, ladder bar brackets welded on and all of the twisting it had over the years, the thing was looking like a boomerang if you know what I mean.

Numbers were no longer on the tube to be seen as the ladder bar brackets went over the build date numbers with any welds or grinding marks left to take care of any other remnants on the old stamp. Housing was so bent up that I simply sold it for the parts it had in it. The rest was considered junk and looked just like the subject diff does in this post. I think I got $1000 for the sum of it in parts given it had race disks, a spool, HD yoke and an Ultimate cover. The rest in my opinion was worthless after being hacked up, ground and welded upon. I don't know how any original stamp could survive that, and if its twisted as mine was, the value is in the toilet IMHO.

If you wanted to save it bad enough it could be fixed. I am going to widen a few 12 bolts I have back to stock width. As for the rear in question Matt knows his stuff and it does have a value. He lives in one of the old drag race hot beds. Those parts are still floating around. I got a 69 ZL1 block from a sprint car driver. Matts 68 Z was picked apart when he put it on Ebay. It was a real car. Mistakes can be made but if HE questioned it he would have it in the add. I found it funny when I had a 69 302 CE engine on Craigslist and found it as a topic on one of the sites. Research, be diligent. If it's not for you don't buy it

Last edited by ds1; 04-20-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Yes. I could have welded in new tubes, added a posi carrier, gear set and changed out the pinion and the brakes, but with the numbers gone what would the purpose be? It was easier (and cheaper) to buy a complete dated diff rather than restore the twisted original 12 bolt that was modified for Super Stock.

That's why the value of mine was in the toilet. Just saying.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Just for clarification.... I'm not questioning his reputation. I'm questioning the rear end. An honest man can be mistaken or mislead by others telling them what's real and what's "Memorex." When there is as much money involved as what he's asking and is obviously a re-stamp (legit or not), he better be ready for the vetting that should come with it.

I'm not saying that I would bet on Matt's reputation either. I'm sure he is not going by 'someone's Memorex'. I'd bet on the fact that he knows parts better than 99.999% of us !! Also he knows the situation when he bought the rear also.

I've bought many shop meet parts and have a real good idea if the guys story is BS or not. Sometimes you just know. ABout 10 years ago,I bought a BE rear at a swap meet for regular 12 bolt price. It was just a Camaro 4:10 12 bolt posi according to the seller. I'm no expert on these rears, (especially back then). But the fact that he sold the rear so cheap proved to me that there was no reason to restamp the rear.

I'll be the first to say that anything is possible, I remember when I bought a rear for my ZL-1, I found out that some COPO's have rears actually dated after the cowl date of the cars.

Unfortunately, there are known 'supposedly legit' cars, motors/trans/rears and stamps etc. that are actually excellent fakes. And legit stamps that are considered fake.

Unfortunately, this may be one of them parts that because it does not meet the 'norm', will never be accepted by the majority as legit. whether it is or not.

Last edited by iluv69s; 04-20-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv69s View Post
I'm not saying that I would bet on Matt's reputation either. I'm sure he is not going by 'someone's Memorex'. I'd bet on the fact that he knows parts better than 99.999% of us !! Also he knows the situation when he bought the rear also.

I've bought many shop meet parts and have a real good idea if the guys story is BS or not. Sometimes you just know. ABout 10 years ago,I bought a BE rear at a swap meet for regular 12 bolt price. It was just a Camaro 4:10 12 bolt posi according to the seller. I'm no expert on these rears, (especially back then). But the fact that he sold the rear so cheap proved to me that there was no reason to restamp the rear.

I'll be the first to say that anything is possible, I remember when I bought a rear for my ZL-1, I found out that some COPO's have rears actually dated after the cowl date of the cars.

Unfortunately, there are known 'supposedly legit' cars, motors/trans/rears and stamps etc. that are actually excellent fakes. And legit stamps that are considered fake.

Unfortunately, this may be one of them parts that because it does not meet the 'norm', will never be accepted by the majority as legit. whether it is or not.
I couldn't agree more that anything is possible. What a find for you at the swap meet finding that BE. That's incredible. Admittedly, the only thing I'm going off of are the pics in this thread. My opinion doesn't really matter. The only two that matter are his and the person that he's selling it too. You know what they say about opinions: "They're like aholes. Everyone's got one and they all stink...".

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM

I've been to the Englishtown swap meet many times starting back in the '80s. The place was full of used race car parts. I was buying Schwinn bikes out of there for pennies on the dollar because only a few guys knew what they were worth and we all worked with each other. Aluminum heads, narrowed rears (I'm sure more BEs than this one), 4-speeds.....the place was ripe with good stuff if you knew your shit. This rear has more ink than " Fitty Cent" .
Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM

I'd like to thank the few people in this thread that defended this rear end and my reputation as a seller. Thank you guys. This rear is 100% real and legitimate and can be backed up with other known stamps that look similar to mine. COPO's were sold as factory race cars and these cars usually went through multiple stages of modifications to keep up with ever changing NHRA rules. Honestly, who would restamp this rear end on a housing that's had so many modifications and then paint it with multiple layers of paint and professionally age it and sell it to me for a modified 12 bolt price at a random swap meet? It doesn't make any sense. It came out of the Spring Englishtown swap meet last year. It was just an old race car rear end to the guy that I got it from who was back halfing his car. This is Yenko.net, and it is advertised here, which comes with a 100% guarantee of authenticity or your money back.

-Matt

Last edited by Fast67VelleN2O; 04-23-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Couldn't agree more Matt. I don't think we've done any business, but your reputation is impeccable. I'd have tried to talk him into a look at the car, and try to buy that, too. Good chance it would've been a COPO.