Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 1st Mustang Cobra ever built.....with 'test pa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al8apex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would it need to be restored? </div></div>

for the same reason a 1973 Z28 would have been restored in 1990.. 17 years is a long time..

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW..the car is being restored because the car was hit hard in the rear and my buddy 'repaired it' using another car. They did a real nice job reproducing all spot welds correctly and all seam sealer, etc. The owner of the car is rather particular...I guess there is only one 1st !!..sort of... </div></div>

How might the rebody affect its value in the collector marketplace?

Chevelle and Tri Five Parts

56 210
66 Chevelle
</span>
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw this car is an original red car..is car number 19 red??
</div></div>

Thanks for posting some pics! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

#19 is a code ES Vibrant Red clearcoat car. #8 is code EY Vibrant Red single stage.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SVT certs??I hope it is the first Cobra because this guy is really going crazy restoring this car..he has bought many NOS parts for the car....I cannot imagine how much he will have invested in this car when it is done....and what it is actually worth. </div></div>
I just got done with a 1992 ssp car. Growing up with the fox body these cars were a dime a dozen. Trying to find NOS is not very easy, when you find something its usually pricey. I would've never guessed parts would be hard to find for these cars, look at production numbers. Better yet add in notchback.
Joe
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW..the car is being restored because the car was hit hard in the rear and my buddy 'repaired it' using another car. They did a real nice job reproducing all spot welds correctly and all seam sealer, etc. The owner of the car is rather particular...I guess there is only one 1st !!..sort of... </div></div>

How might the rebody affect its value in the collector marketplace? </div></div>

It will affect it some. How much, I don't know. The collector market for these cars is not nearly as developed as the market for 60's cars, and the values are all over the place. I would think that a rear clip replacement would affect this car less than it would a car built in the middle of the run.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justbad Joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SVT certs??I hope it is the first Cobra because this guy is really going crazy restoring this car..he has bought many NOS parts for the car....I cannot imagine how much he will have invested in this car when it is done....and what it is actually worth. </div></div>
I just got done with a 1992 ssp car. Growing up with the fox body these cars were a dime a dozen. Trying to find NOS is not very easy, when you find something its usually pricey. I would've never guessed parts would be hard to find for these cars, look at production numbers. Better yet add in notchback.
Joe
</div></div>

You're not kidding. Notch specific parts, in particular, seem to get pricier by the day.

There is some good news, though. Ford recently announced their intention to rerelease 9000 obsolete part numbers. The announcement said that these numbers would cover everything from the Model T up through the 2000 model year, but I've heard through the grapevine that a substantial percentage of those will be Fox related.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">prototype part number? on rear fin </div></div>

The date on that piece is interesting. The scheduled build date of #19 is 12-17-92.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW..the car is being restored because the car was hit hard in the rear and my buddy 'repaired it' using another car. They did a real nice job reproducing all spot welds correctly and all seam sealer, etc. The owner of the car is rather particular...I guess there is only one 1st !!..sort of... </div></div>

How might the rebody affect its value in the collector marketplace? </div></div>

I know everyone's definition of a rebody is different, but I'd have to say this car is NO rebody. The parts replaced were one full qp w/complete wheelhouse and most of the trunk floor and rear panel section. The full floors, roof, doors, one whole side of car and complete front firewall,dash, cowl, etc are all original. The car could have been fixed easier in a more typical manner with replacement parts, but the owner wanted as few non-original spot welds, etc as possible. I have to give the owner credit for the way he fixed the car.

I cannot call a car a re-body just because it used used parts instead of NOS..or worse yet...aftermarket parts to fix it. I know my 69 Indy will have a lot more replaced body parts and it is not a re-body.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw this car is an original red car..is car number 19 red??
</div></div>

Thanks for posting some pics! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

#19 is a code ES Vibrant Red clearcoat car. #8 is code EY Vibrant Red single stage. </div></div>

That is interesting because the guys at my buddies shop were talking about the special paint...and the difference in the paint in the engine compartment?? Something to do with the clearcoat?? or lack of..I cannot remember exactly. I will stop by later today and find out more on the car. And take some more pics also.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM

ok, so stopped by my buddies today, but could not take any pics...he had car in booth with paint primer/sealer on it getting ready to start painting the color. He was skitzing about dust when I entered the booth, so I did not stay long. He was very adamant though that this car is getting single-stage paint...non-clearcoat..and that that is how it came from the factory...

so???
could be car number 8 based on original paint?? But,the build date of car #19 and the date on the front spoiler seem to match perfect though...??? What was the build date of car 8??? If prior to the date on the front spoiler, than I would say this is definitely not that car.

are you sure you have the paint correct for car 8 and 19??? Maybe You typed them reversed??

I will take more pics in the next few days...