Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 AM

Default Patent Attorney recommendation.

I know this topic is a little bit far off topic for the lounge, but I am starting to pull my hair out with the lack of success that I am having in locating a good patent attorney. And I don't have much left.

Can anyone recommend a patent attorney that they have successfully used in the past? Knowledge of firearms would be a big plus.

Two earlier patents did not proceed smoothly due to difficulty in understanding the key points of the design.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Patent Attorney recommendation.

Good Luck.......I've been down that road $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and it didn't work out too well.....The Lawyers I got hooked up with wanted all the future profits from the Patent as their fees for the "Privilege" of filing the Patent......Get a cost analasis from them then have another Lawyer look it over to see the Loop Holes for additional charges.....See where this is going...........Let's just say I am a "Graduate"........

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

I remember you talking about that... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember you talking about that... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] </div></div>

Yep!!........The Wallet is still &quot;Smok'in&quot;...........Did I ever say I hate Lawyers........

Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwhizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Luck.......I've been down that road $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and it didn't work out too well.....The Lawyers I got hooked up with wanted all the future profits from the Patent as their fees for the &quot;Privilege&quot; of filing the Patent......Get a cost analasis from them then have another Lawyer look it over to see the Loop Holes for additional charges.....See where this is going...........Let's just say I am a &quot;Graduate&quot;........ </div></div>

So... how is Mrs. Robinson these days?

The trouble with lawyers is 98% of them make the other 2% look bad.

Rarely see the words &quot;good&quot; and &quot;lawyer&quot; used in the same sentence, unless the good is followed by &quot;for nothing&quot; or &quot;way to get rid of&quot; or something along those lines.

Patent work is normally pretty specialized. In Okla there is a separte bar test before you can practice in the arena.
1. Find a decent honest person who has hired a patent atty who successfully patented something for him or her.
2. Find another
3. Find another.

When you have at least 2 names, preferably 3, meet with each one to get a feel for whether you are willing to &quot;marry&quot; one of them. Surely there is an older patent atty who will still work by the hour.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Check with NJSteve.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I dont know any patent attorneys but I will tell you that they should be disbarred for demanding all future profits from the patent. That is criminal. The scary thing is that you could find a hundred regular attorneys that would be happy to sue any patent attorney that demanded 100% of future profits.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know any patent attorneys but I will tell you that they should be disbarred for demanding all future profits from the patent. That is criminal. The scary thing is that you could find a hundred regular attorneys that would be happy to sue any patent attorney that demanded 100% of future profits. </div></div>

Steve......Demanding all future profits was a figure of speech......The cost that we ended up at was many times more than we talked about in the beginning.......That's the point I was making......It got real ugly towards the end ..........Never again!!!

Ken

Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 AM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Eric,

I work with patent attorneys on a regular basis. Depending on what specialty you need I could point you in the right direction. Send me a PM if you're interested.