Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Yes Jake.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Oh, man ...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Country Classic Cars, a Hemmings Pro dealer located just off Route 66 in Staunton, Illinois, has long been known for its large inventory of collectible cars. With five-plus storage buildings and numerous pole barns on its property, the dealership has storage room for 600-plus automobiles, but on Tuesday night, the central building caught fire, damaging or destroying as many as 150 vehicles.

The fire was reported shortly before 8:00 p.m., and quickly grew to five alarms, with an estimated 15 departments from surrounding communities responding. Gusty winds fanned the flames, and at one point there was speculation that Interstate 55, which parallels the Country Classic Cars property, would be shut down as the flames spread. A lack of on-site water compounded the difficulties faced by firefighters, who were forced to rely upon water tankers to extinguish the blaze, which was declared under control at approximately 9:30 p.m.

No injuries were reported in the fire, which appeared to be contained to a single building that served as both a storage and repair facility. Chief Rick Haase of the Staunton Fire Department reported that the blaze began in the center of the building, but quickly spread to both ends, and shortly after the arrival of firefighters on scene, the structure’s roof collapsed. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and as is standard practice in such incidents, the state fire marshal is investigating.

The exact cars damaged, and the extent of the damage to each, remains unclear as owners Russ and Anita Noel begin the process of sifting through the rubble. We will bring you more information as it becomes available.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...-classic-cars/
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,967 Posts

'

Sad news indeed but as others have said, most important is everyone's Ok.
I really feel for the facility owners who have to sift through the remains and deal w/ customers also hope their insurance is best it can be too.

~ Pete

Old 08-09-2017, 05:51 PM

I was checking out their inventory. It looks like it's a lot of Model A & Ts and other 30s and 40s cars and trucks as well as a completely eclectic collection up through the 90s and a couple up to an 06 Vette. Luckily there was only one first gen Camaro and it was that ridiculous abomination that was posted up here the other day. Still, hate to see the others go up. They had some reasonably priced cruisers in there by the looks of it.
One of the articles said there was a major lack of water issue for the fire dept. at the location.

http://countryclassiccars.com/chevy-...64#prettyPhoto

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66

Last edited by HawkX66; 08-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Today..
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
One of the articles said there was a major lack of water issue for the fire dept. at the location.
As their name implies, they are out in the Country, so no hydrants.....whatever water the fire trucks can carry...

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard View Post
As their name implies, they are out in the Country, so no hydrants.....whatever water the fire trucks can carry...
Right. I used to be an on-call Firefighter & EMT. With a place like that, with that many cars, you would think/hope they'd have a cistern, pond or something. I live in the country too where there isn't much natural water, but a lot of people have ponds dug.
Has there been any info on what sparked it off?

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

In a fire of this magnitude and heat they will likely never know. It started somewhere in the middle of the building so it could have been a trickle charger. Yesterday and ironically I talked to a insurance sales rep who stopped by my shop looking to write me a quote. He was at Country Classics at 5:15 the day of the fire to try and sell them a policy but their gate was closed. He told the person who he spoke to that he would stop back the next day to go over a policy. I said he was damn lucky he did not sell them a policy (though it would not have been in place yet anyway) and he said no, that actually would have been very good for his insurance company to show how quickly and amicably they could have resolved the claim. That would have brought it way more new business than this claim cost. I never thought about it that way but he is totally right. This would have been a marketing landfall for them, unfortunately at Country Classic's cost.

With regards to water, I too am a volunteer fire fighter and we also have a lack of water in many areas which is why we rely so heavily on mutual aid and tanker trucks. They would likely have sucked a small pond dry in a short time. I was actually very amazed at how quickly these fire departments had this fire under control. Shows that they had great communication and team work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
In a fire of this magnitude and heat they will likely never know. It started somewhere in the middle of the building so it could have been a trickle charger.
With regards to water, I too am a volunteer fire fighter and we also have a lack of water in many areas which is why we rely so heavily on mutual aid and tanker trucks. They would likely have sucked a small pond dry in a short time. I was actually very amazed at how quickly these fire departments had this fire under control. Shows that they had great communication and team work.
Battery/trickle charger related was my first guess. Like you said, they'll probably never know.
You're right, they had some good crews working that one. Most of the ponds around me are at least ~100'x40' and some are as much as 18' deep so they're pretty decent size.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66