Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Trend(s)? Recall some pretty nice originals being restored when resto's were the thing. More recently, the dustier the better. And it doesn't even need to be Daytona or Le Mans dust, either!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 PM

Default Market for Survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
You now owe David Burroughs some royalties Bill.
We all do. When it came to Cars, David really brought Original, Un-restored, and the term Survivor to the level of respect that these cars deserved. Even in 1990, it was long over due. It's only original once.

Bill
Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

A local collector I know purchased a survivor 67 L89 Corvette about 10/12 years back and that's the one car I refer to as a true survivor. It's a Bloomington Gold Benchmark car and I believe it is known as a 4000 mile untouched car. One that many have referred to as being the nicest survivor 67 Corvette on the planet, and the type of car I would refer to as a true untouched survivor. Out of my league but a really cool car to see up close.

There are a few cars owned by collectors here that I think are equally as nice and love to see them cared for as they are.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Thanked 1,713 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Bill View Post
We all do. When it came to Cars, David really brought Original, Un-restored, and the term Survivor to the level of respect that these cars deserved. Even in 1990, it was long over due. It's only original once.

Bill
I agree - and even before that David was leading the way on "proper" Corvette restorations that involved research and duplication of factory blemishes/overspray/assembly procedures/etc. that eventually made it into the steel body car world. It also was the beginning of the differentiation between a blow it all apart/sandblast everything and paint type restoration vs. the more methodical approach the he used which has become more mainstream today for the higher end shops.

I worked at a Corvette restoration shop in the late 80's and early 90's when this was all starting to come out and David was a frequent guest teacher - it was an exciting time.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

1967 CHEVROLET CORVETTE COUPE 427/435 HP, Unrestored with 8,533 Miles

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-28...orvette-coupe/

Car sold for $675,000
Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 AM

That is impressive. I am sure there are some mopars and fords that went pretty dang high. 2 that come to mind is a 71 hemi challenger and a black boss 429 mustang. Both were original cars. Both sold at Mecum. Maybe Mecum is the place to sell an all original car.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:09 AM

Default Market for survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
A local collector I know purchased a survivor 67 L89 Corvette about 10/12 years back and that's the one car I refer to as a true survivor. It's a Bloomington Gold Benchmark car and I believe it is known as a 4000 mile untouched car. One that many have referred to as being the nicest survivor 67 Corvette on the planet, and the type of car I would refer to as a true untouched survivor. Out of my league but a really cool car to see up close.

There are a few cars owned by collectors here that I think are equally as nice and love to see them cared for as they are.
*May I ask what color this Benchmark Car is? Maybe Yellow or Silver? I kind of made it kind of my goal to keep track at the time.

The first 12 Corvettes to be Benchmark certified were displayed on the field in 1993 to take a picture of our car with us in it for an upcoming "Benchmark" calendar which never took place (I have since donated the framed 24" X 36" picture to the National Corvette Museum)

Patty in the Bloomington Gold office, was in charge of the license plate program (worked my way down to #21 plate being I was engaged to my Wife on the 21st., married on the 21st, first Child was born on the 21st, @ 2;10 in the afternoon AND it was -21 below 0 on the afternoon of the day he was born) always gave me an un-official count on how many Benchmark cars there had been Certified.

Brenda who distributed the Certificates, and the last time I talked to her was 2012 before Guy Larson bought the rights to Bloomington Gold, told me there was 141 total.

That is Not a lot of cars being at the time 1.8 million Corvettes had been assembled.

Bill

Last edited by Big Block Bill; 07-22-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:01 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Car is Marina Blue. Just over 4000 original miles. Owner also had a Lyndale Blue car and owns a few other heavy weights.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM

I just wonder how long it will be until someone figures out how to fool the judges into thinking that a car is a super low miles (like double digit low) survivor when it is in fact a car that was restored to look like one. You know,like guys who would literally paint a car to have the correct MIL thickness of paint using original laquer,and would spray weak tea on the paper tags to make them look aged and salt brine onto restored bare metal parts to make them look like they have been exposed to the air for the last 50 years. Maybe melt down the grease pen sticks and mix in some brown with the color to make the color look aged. Real high level stuff. I once had a conversation with a collector of Hummel figurines and he said that the collector market is always capped at a certain point because the more something is worth,the more it is worth forging. When a collector item is cheap the knock offs are poorly made and easy to identify because to put the effort into an accurate reproduction would not yield enough profit. Once something becomes worth enough,it becomes worthwhile to create the entire process needed to properly reproduce something down to the microscopic details. If the survivor market goes too high there will come a point when someone will figure out how to fool the judges. Bribing previous owners to make false statements,staging fake pictures using outdated camera equipment and paper to create aged photos that tell a story that never happened. Hiring look a likes to pose as younger versions of the previous owners just to create the perfect back story etc. For a few million bucks it is worth someone doing it.

Last edited by RichSchmidt; 07-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Thanked 1,597 Times in 491 Posts
Default Survivor..

Well..let's hope it doesn't come to this

-wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
I just wonder how long it will be until someone figures out how to fool the judges into thinking that a car is a super low miles (like double digit low) survivor when it is in fact a car that was restored to look like one. You know,like guys who would literally paint a car to have the correct MIL thickness of paint using original laquer,and would spray weak tea on the paper tags to make them look aged and salt brine onto restored bare metal parts to make them look like they have been exposed to the air for the last 50 years. Maybe melt down the grease pen sticks and mix in some brown with the color to make the color look aged. Real high level stuff. I once had a conversation with a collector of Hummel figurines and he said that the collector market is always capped at a certain point because the more something is worth,the more it is worth forging. When a collector item is cheap the knock offs are poorly made and easy to identify because to put the effort into an accurate reproduction would not yield enough profit. Once something becomes worth enough,it becomes worthwhile to create the entire process needed to properly reproduce something down to the microscopic details. If the survivor market goes too high there will come a point when someone will figure out how to fool the judges. Bribing previous owners to make false statements,staging fake pictures using outdated camera equipment and paper to create aged photos that tell a story that never happened. Hiring look a likes to pose as younger versions of the previous owners just to create the perfect back story etc. For a few million bucks it is worth someone doing it.
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro