Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - Canada

Old 02-15-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Copo Automatics

Box 37 has belt coded YE for groove 2. Box 38 has belt coded HJ for groove 3. This applies to a 4 speed COPO car. These should show up on all build sheets but I have seen a 4 speed build sheet not showing the HJ code. Go figure.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Copo Automatics... all had pollution

Hi Ted....This was a bone of contention for years with L88 Vettes. With these cars that stuff was the first thing removed along with the exhaust manifolds. After a lot of research it was found that cars delivered to Canada came with the same poll. equip. as the USA, except for the California cars. Hope that helps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 02-16-2003, 04:51 PM

When I bought our Chevelle, the first thing I did was remove the AIR manifolds and pump. There must have been a slight misalignment issue because I started rolling belts at higher rpms. I put just the pump back on and had no more problems. There was no noticeable power gain any way. The addition of headers made a seat of the pants improvement. I'd put my money on ALL COPO, L78 and L88 cars having the AIR pump in '69. Just a personal opinion.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:08 PM

Sounds like good logic to me.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:48 PM

Hi; Here's some info you may find helpfull. In 1969 all Camaro's built with a big block , L34,L35, L-78 and L-72 had smog equiment, regardless of transmission choice. Also all small block equipped camaro's built with a standard trans had smog equipment this included 307's, 350 2bbl's, 350 255hp's , 350-300hp's and 302-290 hp's. This also held true to a 6cyl std trans car. In The Chevelles there is an interesting difference. The above is shared with two exceptions. There was, as we know ,no 302 offered . Lastly the 396 325 hp automatic was not subject to smog controls. This also held true of the 396's found in the 69 impala. This is a key factor to why you find many more right hand exhaust manifolds dated 69 (178) than left ones with no smog provisions. I hope this helps . I have several early take off 69 pumps and several sets of 69 bb smog manifolds. for sale. Thanks Jim [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:25 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,605 Posts

Jim,

-----Im dont mean to cast doubt on your post,but I bought a new 69 Camaro 396/350 4spd. off the showroom floor in June of 1969 that had no smog equipment.I dont know how long that Camaro was for sale before I bought it,and dont know if the build time had anything to do with the smog equipment,but have always wondered about it.I know what alot of knowledgeable people say and yet I know what I bought.I have pics of the car,but none of the engine compartment.Not that that would really make a difference in as far as proof goes.I dont imagine my statements will make much differenceto any narrow minded people out there but thats OK,I know what I bought.
-------One of the reasons I remember the car so well is that I thought I needed a driver at that point,and passed up a beautiful COPO Chevelle as well as the Scunzio ZL1.Actually took the Scunzio car for a drive,but thought I couldnt afford it.How dumb was I???????.........Bill S
Old 02-16-2003, 11:45 PM

Bill,
For what it's worth, my August 69 built 1970 Nova 396/350 did not have smog. Plain manifolds.
Ron [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:14 AM

Jim....you have mail
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM

Guys, hopefully I can put the issue of smog vs. no smog (including Canadian cars)to rest!

The validation and emission certification on the COPO 427 Camaros and Chevelles, both the aluminum and iron blocks were "grandfathered" in off the Corvette. The Corvette engines had smog pumps (both automatic and 4-spd), therefore so did the COPO cars (including the Canadian vehicles).

Jim Mattison

Old 02-17-2003, 09:28 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,605 Posts

Thanks Jim,

------That probably puts that question to rest on COPOs,but how about these lower horsepower big-block cars?Do you have the bottom line on them as well?Inquiring minds want to know!........Bill S