Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-13-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Steel crossram hood on Ebay relisted

The one and only 68 Z-28 convertible has the steel crossram hood, if anyone is interested I can shoot a photo of the underside and post it here.
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 11:49 AM

Matt,

The '68 Z-28 Convertible that we built for Pete Estes, when he was General Manager of Chevy has the fiberglass cross-ram cowl hood, NOT a steel one!

The entire cross-ram program was intended to give the Chevy race teams (mainly Penske) an advantage in the SCCA Trans Am or A/Sedan class. The few steel hoods that are out in the marketplace were made to be used on the racecars, until Chevy got the ok from the SCCA to use a fiberglass one. It also gave the race teams an option to use either steel or fiberglass. Penske used an "acid-dipped" steel hood (and other parts) on his '69 Camaro race cars for most of the '69 season. As we all know, the 'glass hoods will have a tendency to warp from the engine heat.

One of the reasons that we built the '68 Z-28 Convertible for Estes was to help expedite this effort along. If you'll look at the Z-28 Convertible again, I'm sure that you'll discover that it has a fiberglass hood on it!

Jim Mattison
Old 08-13-2003, 01:10 PM

Jim,
Of course you are correct on this, you really didnt think I was going to disagree with one of the people who were there when the car was ordered, do you? I was just checkin to see if you were awake and paying attention. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was confused at the fact of the hood standing next to the car, it turns out Al bought the glass crossram hood that is on the car now when he replaced the X Ram set up during resto. What made me think it was steel was the amount of money he paid for the glass one, he told me they only made 100 of the glass X-Ram hoods which is the reason it was also rather costly. I didnt get a chance to see you before we left Meadowbrook, Bill and I wanted to tell you that you guys did a great job with the show! I will be down some time next week, if you are in town I will stop in and say hi.
Take Care,
Matt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 PM

hi jeff; I'm from vancouver b.c. on the west coast and both the Z-28 and the copo were sold new here.There were 4 copos sold in b.c. only 2 are still here,the other 2 are in L.A.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Aloha and thanks for the Info, Theres a twin to your car here thats undergoing a complete resto right now. Only difference in this Garnet Red Z is in addition to what yours has also has the Liquid Tire chain option. Yes along with the JL8 and Steel GM Crossram hood and all the correct GM items to fit under it. Car was just sold this past year and now with its 2nd owner. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

This cars ID is 124379N606267 close to yours at all ???
Old 08-13-2003, 07:52 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts

Jim, could the original steel cowl induction 2x4 hoods have been built by Chevy engineering prototype shop? The reason I ask is because I have a 1970 Camaro cowl induction hood built by Chevy engineering prototype shop and it looks like a production unit but it of course was never in production. The sheet metal looks like it was formed with some type of tooling as the form work is very well done. Could the 1969 steel cowl induction 2x4 hoods have been built by the prototype shop using a low volume process just to make a few until the fiberglass hoods became available?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:26 PM

I know that only a very few 1970 cowl hoods were made. You have a "very" rare piece indeed! Yes, the 1970 Camaro cowl hoods were hand-made at the GM Tech Center. They were supposed to be for the drag race guys, mainly Jenkins, and a couple of others. The cowl hood on the 1970 Camaro would give more clearance for the carb and air cleaner assembly. As such, they could get more horsepower!

I don't know for sure why they never went into production, but I heard a rumor that the folks from Chrysler were protesting them as giving Chevy an unfair advantage.

As for the steel '69 cross-ram hoods, I believe that they were made from production steel hoods. An outside vendor was hired to put the inner structure in them.

Jim Mattison

Old 08-13-2003, 10:53 PM

tim69427,

Were all 4 of those COPO's sold at Mussallem Chev Olds in Haney B.C.?
I believe they also brought in some L89's in '69.
Do you know if anyone's tracked these down? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

Rob

AS1 AO1 D55 J52 U17 U69 Z28
Old 08-14-2003, 03:44 AM

At least one was sold at Reuben Buerge Motors in Nelson BC.
Peter
Old 08-14-2003, 03:54 PM

copopete
That would make sense, I thought mussallem had only brought in 3 COPO cars with Buck Kinney's encouragement.
Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

AS1 AO1 D55 J52 U17 U69 Z28