Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-15-2003, 03:28 AM

Default Re: The Rarest First Gen Camaros

See attachment
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2003, 03:49 AM

How about the complete other end of the spectrum? While it's not something the supercar crowd often thinks about, what about a true zero option 69 Camaro? I know of an X44, 230 6 cyliner, 3 on the tree, radio delete, no tinted glass, no nothing '69, not one single option. The real $2727 base price '69 Camaro. Frost green on light green gut to boot. I would have loved to have seen the window sticker for this car when it was new on the lot. There would have been a lot of empty space on that page, green on green @ no charge, end of list. There is simply no way of tracking production figures for a beast like this, since figures seem to be based on RPOs not a lack thereof. Not what most Camaro junkies would call their dream car, but an interesting specimen nonetheless. I can't imagine under what circumstances this car was ordered, perhaps a company car destined for fleet service? It's anyone's guess, but I will say it's the only one I've ever seen or heard about. Anyone else know of a true zero option '69, there couldn't have been many. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 03:58 AM

As a collector, I don't believe I'd care to own a 6 cylinder/zero option car, even if it was the only one to exist. But in reference to the subject of this post, it could be rare.

69L89rag, "documented back to 1980" wouldn't qualify any 1969 car as authentic. But I hope you do find the documents you are looking for. Looking at your picture attachment which looks flawless, why does it need painted?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:25 AM

I have heard that there were only 7 known '69 L-78 ragtops. I don't know if that's production numbers of how many are left... The one I've seen is a beautiful car and was owned by Charlie at one time. It's not an RS car though...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:56 PM

I'll bet it was ordered by a dealer as a teaser. Get 'em in the door with an ad like "Camaros, $2495 (some priced higher)"
Old 09-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Rare does not always mean desireable. A three speed manual transmission Corvette is rare but not deaireable.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:00 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts

The 1968 Z-28 Convertible probably is one of the highest valued Camaros on the planet but was not a production car. It was a one off custom built by Chevy. There were a number of these one off cars built but most did not escape the factory unharmed. Some may have escaped with changes then sold to GM employees. The design head Bill M. did a 1970 ZL1 Camaro which he was allowed to purchase and bring home. He then rebuilt/restyled the car in 1977 but I think it still exists. There were two 1969 ZL1 prototypes built but have not been found. I think there were 5 or 6 Pace cars that were prepared for use in the Indy 500 race and were custom built. Over the years, there were many of these one off's built by Chevy.
As far as rare Camaros that were built through mostly normal assembly process, the L89 convertible had to be low in production quantity. How about a L89 Pace car or L89 Z10? The cars with dash (-) on trim tag have to be low numbers also. So a L89 RS SS convertible with special paint would be among the most rare production Camaros if there even was one built. Unless some new info is found showing original options, one can only guess.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

SuperCars,
There is a member and he can chime in if he chooses who has a very special '69 Pace car with L89 and JL8.

DjD,
While the number of L78 Camaro rag tops produced is low it is not that low. (I wish it was as I have one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would guesstimate that several hundred were produced, but no one knows for certain thus far. The ones to have survived with Documentation are few and far between.

I believe CRG has data based many of the known L78-rag tops.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:08 PM

Joe,

The '68 Z-28 Convertible "was" a production car. I should know, because I'm the one who ordered it for the Chevrolet general manager, E.M. (Pete) Estes.

The Z-28 Convertible was built on the Norwood assembly line like any other Z-28. Yes, we (Chevrolet) added the cross-ram, cowl hood, headers and four-wheel discs at the GM Tech Center after the car was built, to showcase some new equipment to the upper Chevy management, but it was definately a production vehicle.

Jim Mattison
Old 09-15-2003, 07:36 PM

I figured there were more than 7 L78's produced but the number 7 has come up several times and was published in a Camaro Performers a while bask as being the number known to exist. A guy named Warren owned the one in CP at the time the photo shoot was done, I wonder if there was something I missed to make it 1 of 7 known?