Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

I'm restoring my '67 L78 Camaro, so the driveshaft is out of the car. When I place it next to a 69 Camaro drive shaft - it appears the same. Both drive shafts out of BB 4 speed cars.

Last edited by bergy; 12-16-2017 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bergy For This Useful Post:
69novamanrick (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:43 AM

I wanna start by saying thanks to everyone that has provided this info and guided me or instructed me how to do the search. I'm still picking up on these things, so its obvious this has been a huge topic in the past. I just wasn't aware of how to find it on here until now. But thanks everyone for the help and support on all of this.

Ok, and what is that length on your shafts center to center on the U-Joints? After reviewing the threads previously listed, there's still controversy and variations on lengths and nothing really set in stone. I see a dozen different answers all coming from Big Block 4-Speed cars. I also see where this could be possible due to the yoke differences from maybe plant to plant.

Are they both clocked at 30 degrees on ends or are the U-Joints straight in line with each other? I'm finding that some Camaros were clocked like this and some weren't. All 69 Nova drive shafts I'm finding and seeing on here and other sources are all straight in line with the U-Joints. I'm starting to conclude that this was done at a particular assembly plant for Camaro only since not all of them are clocked. I know the Nova is not clocked, from everything Ive been seeing.

So if your shafts are 50-3/4" length on U-Joint centers, then the 53-3/4" Length would be correct for the 69 L78 4-Speed Nova.

Ive went through every thread that was listed above here and I only see a few listings or indications on the Nova drive shafts. Pretty much everything on here is mostly Camaros. So we know the Camaro is 3" shorter on wheelbase, therefore whatever your Camaro shaft lengths are for the Camaro L78 4-Speed, mine will be 3" longer.

I'm just still looking for a better conclusion and verification on the Nova L78 4-Speed Shaft.

I also mention previously that I have reliable sources indicating that the 69 Nova Turbo 400 Big Block shaft would be the same as the 4-Speed,......but I cant believe that because of the extra length that the Turbo 400 transmission is. Unless, here again theres a variation on the yoke from assembly. Still not convinced on a couple of things there as far as that goes.