Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Dick Harrell

Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 AM

Default Re: RogerD's 1969 Dick Harrell Chevelle

[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting that the Allen invoice is written up the way it is. Dealer invoices usually use COPO nomaclature like "special high performance unit" rather than 427/450 hp. It's written up kinda like a Yenko window sticker that wanted you to think it was a transplant. I wonder if Dick H. was doing the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd say that's pretty much been confirmed by the fact the original owner believed for 40 years that it was a Malibu that was converted to a 427 by Dick Harrell. He never knew it was indeed a factory installed 427 until yesterday.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being an original owner, Ray would be a good one to talk to. My bill of sale shows the 9566AA option and the price I paid. Back in '69, I was pretty sure that the Yenko Chevelles were based on COPOs but I don't believe that they were advertised as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above statement is what I'm refering to. It was listed out with COPO, and RPO codes through his dealer invoice. Yenko was a licensed mfg of sportscars. He could write his own window sticker like on the deuces. Harrell was doing transplants, and modifications. He was not a mfg like Yenko, or Shelby. I would think a Bill Allen invoice should look like Keith's, or Grady B's rather than one with no COPO, or RPO codes. I'd think somewhere there should be an invoice with factory codes, and specs. This one looks like it was typed up by Allen at the time. How did they square that with GM?
I'm not doubling the car, or Roger, or the fact that it's a COPO, but I can't see the GM factory window sticker matching the Allen invoice. Nor do I see any mention of DHPC mods prior to sale which probably would have voided the factory warranty. Ray's had 90 days.I simply find it unusual, and perhaps the only evidence of how Dick worked with Allen.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Around here it was common for dealers to remove the factory window sticker and type up their own. We always figured that they were hiking the option prices in the process. Why else would they go to the bother.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Very CL the MP Suffix is noted on the original sales docs!.
Note the engine build date is one day later than the loose Leeds Copo engine of the previous thread here...how's the Vin compare?.
Also are these Tonawanda dates the same or close to those of know Copos built elsewhere?.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...fpart/all/vc/1

So this brings the Leeds Copo Chevelle total to at least 3 possible counting Roger's, the loose engine car also the one Rob has info on..
It'd be nice to compare Vins of all also the Cowl tags of Roger's and the one in Rob's database..

Any luck on the POP or imprints Roger?.

~ Pete
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 AM

The engine in the Convincer II was built about a week earlier. The Convincer seems to be one of the earliest built COPO´s, after the Yenko´s that is.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 AM

I am pretty sure that the build date of the motor in my Chevelle is 410. I will double check tonight.

Grady
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM

The holes for the SS396 Emblem on the rear panel have burrs and are still bright metal from having being fairly recently drilled. Lots of factory applied Monaco Orange overspray is still present in the interior compartment.

The RF and LF fender are not pierced where an SS emblem would have been installed.
The LF fender does have drilled holes from an old body shop visit - bondo is visible from the repair (not where the piercing would be on an SS fender).

The VIN number found beneath the heater core cover is the same as the VIN plate on the LH side of the dash.

The SS grille is held in loosely with only a couple of screws - most of the clips on the grille are broken.
Remnants of the two black hood stripes are evident on the nose of the car. You will notice multiple layers of Orange and Black . . .

Multiple layers were the result of a shop accident at Bill Allen Chevrolet when they replaced the OEM engine at around 12,000 miles and repainted the hood, top, deck lid and nose piece.
Attached Images

Last edited by RogerD; 11-01-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Roger, I understand you contacted the Harrell site. What info did they help you with. Kim
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 PM

I'm pleased to report the following (based upon a statement from copoloco) and a subsequent post by Valerie . . .

"Originally Posted by copoloco Aug 26th, 09, 12:06 PM
Quote:
. . .The paperwork is verified (thru her mother who actually typed up the window sticker) it's the car that needs to be inspected. . . ."
Valerie has apprised me that
Quote:
"Originally Posted by Valerie Aug 31, 2009 11:09 AM
RogerD,

I can guarantee Elaine Harrell and "Copoloco" Tim Lopata are trusted and valuable sources!"

Last edited by RogerD; 07-03-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM

And how much did that cost you?

Seriously, why are you messing around with those clowns (not Elaine Harrell)? You have one of most documented super cars to be discussed on the Internet in quite some time. You know its real, the majority here, as well on the Chevelle site, believe it’s legit, what else do you need?

The folks connected with the DH site cannot even agree who their “experts” are. At one time Jim Elgan AKA JE, a charter member of the DH Hall of Fame, was one, Valerie, Pulde and others posting that he was always around the shop doing odd jobs, and the best part, drove all of the ’69 ZL-1s from Gibb Chevrolet in LaHarpe to Dick’s shop in KC. Now, no one remembers him, not for sure what he did. I could go on here, but I think you see where I am going with this.

You need to understand how this whole “record” thing works. You can either do as we have done on here, sharing our information for all to see, so all can search for that elusive “barn find” or keep the information private, chasing the cars yourself. By not showing what you have, no one really knows what you have, thus you can wing it as you go, stating the records show whatever you would like for them to say. And finally, as in your case, making folks such as yourself believe that they have something, or can verify something, dragging it on like it is rocket science, when it should take all of 5 minutes to check their records, all of this scam to eventually extract a “fee”.

You see, I have a crate full of Yenko paperwork, which took about a week to sort, putting it into a workable order. Unless away from where we keep the records, Rob or I can answer a VIN question in 5 minutes or unless, do it quite often, and for FREE. Even though the paperwork was not free (paid for by the Clary family), I am proud to say myself nor the sYc has ever recieved a cent for helping verify a car, because there is more to this hobby then egos and $$$.

Ironically, this morning I verified a ’67 Yenko, found on Craig’s list. Located, and now saved from the crusher, because our information is posted for all to see.

Now, quite worring about what others think and get busy restoring the car for you and your family to enjoy.
ScottG (11-26-2018)