Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 07-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1969 Trans Am

Just ran across another interesting car. Talked to a guy who says he has a 69 Trans Am survivor. Looking for resources to educate myself on these cars and what their worth. Haven't seen the car yet. Patrick
Attachments - The Supercar Registry TAontrailer.JPG TAingarage2.JPG TAingarage.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-05-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Re: 1969 Trans Am

Find out if it is a RAIV. If so it's a real gem. I would not ever sell my concours 69 RAIV TA. I have friend who just got a nice RAIII/auto. He paid around 35k
Old 07-06-2004, 01:57 AM

He told me it was a RAIV. Before I go see it, I need help in knowing what to look for and where to look as far as #'s and stampings are concerned. What are these cars selling for? Patrick
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM

Is that the one in Hemmings?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:21 AM

Is the guy with the RAIV T/A from Western PA?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:58 AM

There are 2 here in Pittsburgh. There is one( a driver nom) that belonged to a guy's Dad since new. He won't sell, &amp; gets uptight if anyone contacts him. Mine is a concours resto &amp; am keeping also. I see one in Boston in Hemmings, orig. a RAIII.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 AM

Is YOURS the concours resto??
Old 07-07-2004, 06:29 AM

The car I'm talking about is from New York. I'll try to get more info on it. Can someone give me a range for what these cars go far. Patrick
Old 07-07-2004, 09:47 AM

There was a barn find RAIV '69 T/A pulled out by a guy near Pittsburgh. I bought a 12 bolt rear off of him for my 70 Chevelle and we got to talking and showed me these pics of a 69 T/A. He was real hush hush about it and claimed he found it when he went to take the rear out of an elCamino. He asked the owner, who was apparently a farmer, if he happened to have anything else around that would have a good rear in it, he mentioned the Trans Am. Sure enough, there it was an original paint numbers matching RAIV Trans Am. I don't know much about 69 T/As but he showed me snapshots of a 69 T/A with some sort of special hood on it. It was still sitting in the barn covered in pig sh*t. The one side was badly pitted from the slop spashing out of the pig pen and onto the one side of the car. Been sitting since the erly 70's. He said he didn't want to sell it because he had no idea what it might be worth. I'm sure you'll see this car surface someday when he decides he needs the $$$ it'll bring. Cool that stuff is still out there to stumble on, just never seems to be me who finds it.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:41 PM

Hard to say what it's worth. It's like asking how much an LS6 Chevelle is worth. Depends on what parts are there, missing, etc.

The 69 Trans Am only had two engines available: the RAIII was standard, the RAIV was optional. No exterior color choices (there were all white w/blue stripes), while the interior colors varied. Most interiors were black or blue. That being said, ALL 69 Trans Am's had a Ram Air system. If the car you're looking at is missing the Ram Air system, or any part of the system is fiberglass (upper/lower pan), then they're reproduction pieces. Most of these parts are now reproduced in steel, but the 69 Firebird/Trans Am Ram Air system was very complex, and had over a dozen special pieces. It's expensive to replace it all. This Ram Air system was a one year only application. The 67/68 Firebirds used a much simpler system, and the 70-up Firebirds had a totally different configuration. Note: the 1969 RAIII baseplate pan is reproduced in steel, but not the 1969 RAIV.

RAIV cars were NOT available with a/c, and the standard gear ratio was 3.90 posi (used a 4-pinion HD rear end). The 69 Trans Am hood was steel, and if it's missing, or is made of fiberglass, they are VERY expensive to replace. A few have sold on E-bay recently for over $10K.

The rear wing should be a 3-piece construction. Look under the wing at the pedestal mounts. If there's a division line there, it's a real 69 Trans Am wing. If it's one piece molded, it's a repro. The cowl tag should have a D80 designation for the Trans Am rear wing. The body color must be 50/50 (white/white). Any other combo and it's a fake. Lots of other small items to look for, but a check with PHS will let you know if it's a real Trans Am or not.

Typically, a 69 Trans Am will bring 25K-35K restored, and a RAIV car will bring 30K and up. If it's a real RAIV car, they're pretty rare.

RAIV - Turbo 400 : 9
RAIV - Manual trans: 46

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBird For This Useful Post:
hiperf69 (02-05-2018)