Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Olds

Old 07-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Ryan Weaver's 1969 Olds Cutlass S W31 Club Coupe

Oh snap, I backed away for a little while and spicy back and forth:-(

I share everything but I also have to only decide on one path to take in the end. I lean on Dan pretty heavy and we are great friends so I take his advice often and ribbing the odd time:-( I am consistent:-)

I love feedback, but I have to sum it up and filter and decide what works for me. (My car, my money)

I do mention costs often, sometimes just to ensure I am not being a poser, I meet people at shows and sometimes they think I am a seasoned car guy, I have a long standing love of muscle cars but I am learning by the hour now:-)

I am buying that rusty chunk of floor as the hump piece by my sources, (I think I have checked with two or three experts) is not the same as reproduction. (And reports have been that they are way different) I have seen several people buy used floor sections to get the right hump. (So that was my confirmation that I am taking the right path.

I am proud of my build thread remaining drama free, and this little back and forth doesn't cause me any concern, back to business as usual.

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Key words..... My car, my money [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Now back to your regular scheduled program.

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 07-09-2016, 07:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Key words..... My car, my money [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Now back to your regular scheduled program.

Dan</div></div>

AMEN!!!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:40 PM

Engine rebuild is near:-)

I should drop off my top end this week to get started:-) I have to grab the neighbors to get the short block in the car.

Ryan

Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 PM

Carburetor has been delivered:-) (My former boss dropped it off:-) I told him to hint that he loves GTO's and sure enough Dan Jensen took him for a tour:-)

Manual steering box has made it's way to Van Hurst (Thanks Van for bringing southern parts to NOCC!!)

Got a note back from Napa and Inline tube and both don't sell heat riser valves........ Hmm?

Ryan

Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 PM

Ryan, just reading to catch up on your progress. A couple of things, when I'm at the cottage next week I will go get that rocket 350 for
you, it may have the carb you are looking for. It does have the cool valve covers with Oldsmobile stamped into them. Just a question, why
would any one ever use a heat riser for anything? They warp intakes and carbs, fill the ports with crap, overheat and split the porcelains
in the spark plugs, cause restriction that is hard on fuel distribution and balance inside the intake, and just cost horse power. You will never drive the car when it is cold out, and it probably would not make any difference if you did. Spend the effort on the ID of the
manifolds were they exit to the down pipes and the id of the pipe flange were it all bolts together. If you wanted I could get my friend
Kenny Parkman to put your heads on the flow bench with the exhaust manifolds. That may help in camshaft selection, My guess is there is a
big imbalance with the manifolds bolted on and the exhaust specs may be critical in this type of restrictor motor.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RamblerDealer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ryan, just reading to catch up on your progress. A couple of things, when I'm at the cottage next week I will go get that rocket 350 for
you, it may have the carb you are looking for. It does have the cool valve covers with Oldsmobile stamped into them. Just a question, why
would any one ever use a heat riser for anything? They warp intakes and carbs, fill the ports with crap, overheat and split the porcelains
in the spark plugs, cause restriction that is hard on fuel distribution and balance inside the intake, and just cost horse power. You will never drive the car when it is cold out, and it probably would not make any difference if you did. Spend the effort on the ID of the
manifolds were they exit to the down pipes and the id of the pipe flange were it all bolts together. If you wanted I could get my friend
Kenny Parkman to put your heads on the flow bench with the exhaust manifolds. That may help in camshaft selection, My guess is there is a
big imbalance with the manifolds bolted on and the exhaust specs may be critical in this type of restrictor motor. </div></div>

Terry, you are a Canadian GEM!!!!

A few people off to the side have shared the same opinion on the heat riser. I was concerned that on cool mornings the choke would stay active and run rich for too long. (remember I am a rookie with many years of experience reading car magazines only) Casey Marks also says he blocked his cross over and tossed the heat riser. Final decision, no heat riser. (I will let Dan J. know as he rebuilds the carb so if any items can be adjusted to compensate a little he can do them as apart of the carb rebuild)

I had two Olds engine builders both recommend the same cam shaft:-) and it does have a dual pattern with additional lift and duration on the exhaust side to help with the restricted exit path. I will make one set of PSMCDR manifolds with no modifications and one set bored out at the exit to match a little better the 2.5 inch exhaust system.

I would love a price to flow test the heads with and without the manifolds.

I think you mentioned a 350 sitting out in cottage country:-) Bring it:-)

Ryan

Old 07-18-2016, 06:38 PM

Ryan for the Heat Riser just do what I did for my LS6 454 Heat Riser. I grinded off the wing from the main pole and drilled a tiny hole on the end were the main pole will slide out and inserted a cotter pin bent so it would never slip off.

You have a free flow this way and the appearance is bone stock and know one will ever know [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] It even operates correctly this way.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Ryan for the Heat Riser just do what I did for my LS6 454 Heat Riser. I grinded off the wing from the main pole and drilled a tiny hole on the end were the main pole will slide out and inserted a cotter pin bent so it would never slip off.

You have a free flow this way and the appearance is bone stock and know one will ever know bigthumbup It even operates correctly this way.

That will work just fine until some smart-a$$ inspector/judge says start the engine and notices the counter weight doesn't move when you blip the throttle. But most of those guys are picked out of the crowd and would't know the difference anyway ... so GO FOR IT!! TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM

I will just use the manifolds I have without the heat riser, nobody is judging this old girl:-)

Ryan