Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 PM

This is what I'm thinking. If a column shift set-up fits so should the back drive.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:19 PM

I just put Hooker 2457 coated headers on my 69 Camaro. Replacing the set I installed in 1993. They did not fit the same around the steering box. I had to dimple 1, 3 and 5 ( the most) to clear it. I put a straight edge on both headers old and new and measured. The newer sets tubes didn't curve back into the block as much. I do not run the back drive.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtower1969 View Post
I just put Hooker 2457 coated headers on my 69 Camaro. Replacing the set I installed in 1993. They did not fit the same around the steering box. I had to dimple 1, 3 and 5 ( the most) to clear it. I put a straight edge on both headers old and new and measured. The newer sets tubes didn't curve back into the block as much. I do not run the back drive.
Are you using the factory BB engine mount stands that shove the engine over toward the passenger side 3/4" ?
Hooker states that the 2457's will fit without modifications.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

OK -- there are those on this forum will cringe at what I am about to say. In the past, I have had the same issue with BBC Camaro (69') and BBC Nova (70') i.e., interference with the steering box. After installing the correct frame adapters for the BBC -- issue was still there.

Sooooooo -- I ground the lower portion of the header flange slightly removing less than a 1/8" ... made sure all surfaces were even. WaLa -- clearance at the steering box.

If you decide to try this -- Don't grind too much off the flange or you'll put the header tubes into the side of the block ... TAZ
Old 05-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
Are you using the factory BB engine mount stands that shove the engine over toward the passenger side 3/4" ?
Hooker states that the 2457's will fit without modifications.

Yes, the 1993 hookers went in without a hitch, the car is an original L78 car and had the tall mounts. When I pulled the motor a few years ago to freshen it up. I replaced the chevy BBC mounts with Energy Suspension poly ones, and used the same headers that were in the car..again they fit without denting a single tube. The new set is absolutely not manufactured on the same jig. I put both driver side headers on the ground next to each other, put a ruler across the tubes in the same spot and measured to the floor. The tubes on the new set were 1/2" taller (aka into the steering box). The passenger side fit in fine up front. But was 1" longer. So I had to cut the reducer off to fit in the car. Than on top of all this, the collector bolts on the new ones are indexed completely different that the old set. So what should have been an easy afternoon swap, replacing a part with exactly the same part was a nightmare. Hitting the new coated headers with a socket and hammer sucked. When I told this to Hooker. They told me that they are the exactly same. I told them about measuring them..they said I was wrong and the car was off. Sooooo...they are in, they look good now, you can't see the dents. But all of this voids the warranty. If they last another 23 years I'll be fine.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtower1969 View Post
Yes, the 1993 hookers went in without a hitch, the car is an original L78 car and had the tall mounts. When I pulled the motor a few years ago to freshen it up. I replaced the chevy BBC mounts with Energy Suspension poly ones, and used the same headers that were in the car..again they fit without denting a single tube. The new set is absolutely not manufactured on the same jig. I put both driver side headers on the ground next to each other, put a ruler across the tubes in the same spot and measured to the floor. The tubes on the new set were 1/2" taller (aka into the steering box). The passenger side fit in fine up front. But was 1" longer. So I had to cut the reducer off to fit in the car. Than on top of all this, the collector bolts on the new ones are indexed completely different that the old set. So what should have been an easy afternoon swap, replacing a part with exactly the same part was a nightmare. Hitting the new coated headers with a socket and hammer sucked. When I told this to Hooker. They told me that they are the exactly same. I told them about measuring them..they said I was wrong and the car was off. Sooooo...they are in, they look good now, you can't see the dents. But all of this voids the warranty. If they last another 23 years I'll be fine.
"The car is off" is a lame excuse from Hooker. Hooker told me there hasn't been any complaints about fitment.
Messaged Dougs Headers also, they never got back to me. I guess they don't bother with Nit Pickers.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earntaz View Post
OK -- there are those on this forum will cringe at what I am about to say. In the past, I have had the same issue with BBC Camaro (69') and BBC Nova (70') i.e., interference with the steering box. After installing the correct frame adapters for the BBC -- issue was still there.

Sooooooo -- I ground the lower portion of the header flange slightly removing less than a 1/8" ... made sure all surfaces were even. WaLa -- clearance at the steering box.

If you decide to try this -- Don't grind too much off the flange or you'll put the header tubes into the side of the block ... TAZ
So you angle milled them?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
"The car is off" is a lame excuse from Hooker. Hooker told me there hasn't been any complaints about fitment.
Messaged Dougs Headers also, they never got back to me. I guess they don't bother with Nit Pickers.
I've heard the fitment with Dougs is good. As well as headman. The guy who runs the counter at my local speed shop,just used headman 2" on his 67 454 Camaro with no issues. I didn't ask if it was a power steering car.

And yes, The car is off is lame. However, I'm can see sometimes it is the car or installer with the issue. But when I said the two parts with the same part number are differen. That should have been red flag for them.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
So you angle milled them?
Angle mill/grind -- yes ...
Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Hooker moved some, or all, of their production to Mexico 25 years ago and the new headers are different. I had trouble with sbc headers that were purchased 10 years a part and the ones stamped "made in Mexico" did not fit correctly. I have friends with bbc cars and their Hookers fit poorly too. I have since went to Stahl and Lemon's with no issues at all.