Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Chevelle updates

Nope, not gonn'a be red, Mike's just rattling my cage a little bit. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

The color is a secret for now. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Sticking with the steelies and the dog dish caps.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: More Chevelle updates

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: napa68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red. No kiddin? That thing is going to be an awesome car. What wheels? </div></div>

Tim
Go back to page 6 and look at the 66 I posted, I figured I would give Eric something to think about.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Awesome Eric! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Just a brief update for this weekend; Body guys were both hard at work pretty much all week trying to get the fenders back into a usable condition. DS fender...not so bad...PS fender...not so good...but they've managed to save it.

The previous patch job at the bottom of the fender is fixed, and the dents have now been smoothed out.

There was a nice crease about 1/4 way back on the fender that had been stuffed full of Bondo, and the forward edge of the fender had been jammed back and stuffed full of Bondo as well. At least there wasn't any more rust to contend with. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Body guy #2 hard at work

Another skim coat of filler goes on the DS fender.

QUICK!...somebody call Ghost Hunters!...we've got orbs! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

As we were getting ready to leave today, bodyguy #1 mentioned that we're not too far away from needing to order paint.

Putting aside the nervous shiver those words sent down my spine... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

As fate would have it, it appears I now must let the cat out of the bag; I had planned on keeping the color choice a secret, but after doing some research on the color of choice, it's been revealed that what is currently being offered by the paint suppliers isn't considered to be very accurate.

So here's where I need to ask for some help.

I've decided to paint the car in Deepwater Blue in homage to the now-deceased `67 SS396 Chevelle that first turned me on to Chevelles as a youngster (those who've taken the time to read &quot;The Chevelle Project&quot; on my website will know the car I refer to).

In researching reference pics, it's become obvious that there are several different &quot;Deepwater Blue&quot; variants out there, and I need to know which is correct. I've read where one well-known paint manufacturer isn't even close, and where several people have had to have the color custom-mixed to attain the correct results. I had hoped to resolve this on the sly in order to make the final reveal a little more entertaining, but I've struck out so far and time is now becoming an issue.

So if anyone reading this has any information regarding this issue, I would <span style="font-style: italic">greatly</span> appreciate any info you might be able to share.

More later.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 PM

<span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Deepwater Blue</span></span> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM

not sure what was used for product but Denis DWB 67 Z has to be the most accurate color I have seen of all the variations.

B.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Only a brief update for this week.

Bodyguy #1 wound up flying solo this week as body guy #2 has been out of town for his work. Still, he (#1) managed to get the pass. side fender done and ready to block out and was hard at work on the drivers side fender when we arrived today.

Here he is blocking out the &quot;Icing&quot; finish filler coat.

Pass. side fender back in place.

Still amazes me how he got these lines back so well.

Bodyguy says the DS fender should be in DP90 tomorrow and he'll be starting on the windshield filler panel repair and getting the hood dialed in next week.

More later.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Not much to update for this week.

Body guy #2 had surgery on one of his hands so he's out of commission for a while. That and the winter storm and resultant power outages pretty much put the kibosh on any significant progress for the week.

Current status: the fenders are basically done, and the A pillar covers are off now so we could assess the dash channel rust issues. Turns out there are a few small rust holes at the base of the dash itself on the drivers side, while the pass. side appears to be OK for now. The windshield filler panel should be out in a few days, so hopefully I'll have some more pics shortly afterwards.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That's an amazing set of stands the car is bolted to. Are they vintage bodyshop equipment or are they available commercially? I'd love to get a set of those. They'd be perfect for detailing/cleaning the underbody.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM

I'm not sure. I'll ask Bodyguy the next time I see him.