Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 PM

For the record, I'm going to try and be as nice about this as possible. I'm not at all happy with the previous comment and lack of help and info that I got after I inquired about a particular Driveshaft on this site/forum. Other info and inquiries on previous Threads or Posts that I have made on this site have been very good, with the exception to this one.

So, Crossbreed383!!!!! I agree TOTALLY!!! So where was my help or info that I asked for or inquired about? I know there are guys out there with cars and/or info regarding this matter in question and concern. I had 3 ads posted. When I did get what I was after and publicly thanked the guy, then all of a sudden everyone is interested.

#1...I sure don't appreciate the badgering and the filthy mouth or comments of such, after all, I did have at least 3 threads/posts created reaching out or inquiring for this specific information.......and how many thousands of members are there on here that DO INDEED own an original 69 L78 4-Speed Nova???? Or that does INDEED KNOW or HAVE this info that I was inquiring about????? AND as stated above in the comment by Crossbreed383.....This is a site where info is supposedly NOT a secret???? Or is it???? For "Technical & Restoration" Information??? I too thought that was the whole purpose of that particular subject among this site/forum to reach out for information. You cant tell me that there's no one out there with this info!

#2...How many of them, Members, have come forward and give or provided any of this information that I requested......that this site/forum....."technical & restoration"......is all about????.......Besides CWC??? ONE MEMBER!!!! That's right!!! ONE MEMBER....and that was CWC, which after hours of digging I found other threads of the same question where he too spoke and clarified this very info on a previous thread.....which I wasn't aware of, I'm new to the game, and wasn't sure how to find that thread.

#3....After digging, and talking, pounding people with questions, begging for info, photos, and so forth for clear legit info and verification, to clarify my questions, concerns, and thoughts???.......Low and behold, it was right here under our noses all along right here on this site!

#4....Theres a gentleman recently posted a Driveshaft for sale, according to his listing, right here on sYc, it was indeed for a 69 L78 "CAMARO" and if I'm not mistaken...it was for a 4-Speed car. The add/thread clearly stated (50-3/4"). Throughout this particular thread, there is also a page comparison on the Nova verses the Camaro on a parts manual I do believe, indicating and showing the number variation or differences between the two cars as far as driveline and frames.

#5....With that said......My ****"WANTED"**** ads or asking for technical help and info.....clearly states 1969 L78 4-Speed NOVA!!!! NOT CAMARO.......So we all know a Camaro is 108" Wheelbase and use the SAME Rear Diff and the SAME Front Sub Frame......but the NOVA is 111" Wheelbase.....so Guys that know MATH.....That equals HOW MUCH???.....3"!!!......*(THREE INCHES)* CORRECT???!!!

#6... Ok, so if the CAMARO is 50-3/4" on U-Joint Centers on a Big Block 4-Speed 67-69 1st Generation Camaro.....3 Inches extra equals 53-3/4"!!!!

So,.....all of the guys out there that own a 69 L78 4-Speed Nova, couldn't or wouldn't take 5-10 minutes to crawl under their car and put a tape measure on the driveshaft, or put it on a lift, get a snapshot of the appearance and/or measure the length.....and provide that info......here it is. I answered my own questions and concerns after hours of digging and ONE.....ONE SINGLE MEMBER came forward to help answer and verify my questions and concerns.

#7....CWC just verified my questions and concerns....and he's only 2 hours away from me. Thanks again CWC! And Thanks again sYc! If it wasn't for sYc, I would have never met this guy nor would I have got this important info that I requested....again in THREE different ads or listings on here at sYc.

#8....Also with all the info and photo verifications that I have found throughout this site and other Camaro and Nova sites/forums, as well as locating and verifying original cars and drivetrains.....I have also determined that the driveshaft is indeed one diameter from end to end, and NOT the 2 stage or 2 diameter as you will find like the Chevelle or Pontiac driveshafts, where the center portion is larger than the ends of the shaft where it is smaller. Photos will show examples of 69. 67-68 Camaro shafts may LOOK different, but lengths will be the same.

So, with everything said here, I have indeed found, clarified, and verified the info I was looking for. It is verified and legit. I have found one other member on another group, that is no longer on this site, due to this very thing of argumentation, secretivity, if you wanna call it that,....and the mind games, badgering or bickering among members, and who knows what and who don't........

Feel free to ask me anything. I have no secrets among the 68-72 Nova yet I will say I do learn something new every day that I didn't know 31-1/2 years ago, when I bought my first car.....a 1971 Nova.....when I couldn't afford the ridiculous prices of the 1st generation Camaros or the 68-72 Chevelles at the time. I don't claim to know everything, but my research on this topic is adding up.

Is this where I make a public apology? Or is it necessary for a public apology? For what all Ive said here today.....After the previous comment mentioned above about this technical resto info verses private conversations?

I'm just one that doesn't take too kindly to remarks or comments of such, after all the work and effort I put into helping others and yet I don't seem to get anything in return when its needed or asked for. I'm not saying this is a trade. I'm just saying I'm willing and strive to help and provide for others on a daily basis....yet when it comes time for something I need......its never there, until I find it myself.

All I asked for or requested was 2 simple questions......How long is the 69 L78 4-Speed Nova Driveshaft and what does it look like? I had one person respond and then turned private with a contact phone number.....I publicly thanked him out of common courtesy......and then things turned out like this with a comment like previously mentioned? I don't appreciate that whatsoever.

So.....Heres my "NO SECRET" information that Ive rounded up. I do believe this is exactly that, NO SECRET, to all of the 69 L78 Nova owners or enthusiasts. Heres some photos from right here on sYc and the internet of examples of what the shaft does and doesn't look like. The silver shaft with 2 tube diameters is just an example of the appearance verification that I originally thought the shaft looked like. Turns out I was wrong. The silver shaft is a 2 diameter and it is a Chevelle shaft. The correct shaft for a 69 Camaro/Nova is indeed straight meaning same diameter of tube from one end to the other. I could be wrong, and I'm not a Camaro guy, so the 67-68 Camaro shafts may be different as far as appearance, but lengths will be the same. Some of these pics that are correct are from right here on sYc and that shaft on the workbench in particular was actually a 69 L78 Nova with turbo 400 transmission. I mention this because some members may recognize the pics. The silver shaft standing upright against the wall is the one that was for sale here on sYc and it was I do believe for the 69 L78 4-Speed Camaro, which was 50-3/4" long. It was correct in appearance but is for the Camaro as far as length. The 69 Nova shaft will look like the 69 Camaro, only 3" longer. Now don't forget we're talking Big Block 4-Speed shafts only.....not Auto 350, not 2-Speed P-Glides, not 3-Speeds.....but 4-Speed Muncie L78 in particular. The photos are only references indicating tube sizes or diameters, meaning Chevelle uses 2 diameters, large middle, small ends, verses the Camaro/Nova shafts where they are the same tube diameter from one end to the other. Again, Camaro guys can verify if the 67-68 Camaro shafts have the same tube diameter or if theyre similar to the Chevelle as far as 2 diameters. The 69 Nova L78 4-Speed Driveshaft will be 53-3/4" length on U-Joint Centers. I have also concluded this to be the same length for the 69 L78 Nova with Turbo 400 Automatic driveshaft.

Bottom line is the 69 Camaro is 50-3/4" on an L78 4-Speed car and the 69 Nova is 53-3/4" on an L78 4-Speed car. After research and verification, I do believe these cars will use the same shaft for a turbo 400 auto as well, meaning lengths of the shaft will be the same for 69 L78 4-Speed AND Turbo 400.

Last edited by 69novamanrick; 01-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 PM

Thank's for the info!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Nickey Nova For This Useful Post:
69novamanrick (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Our 05 D 68 Chevy 2 falls under your # 8 listing.
So at least a few of the early
396 / 375 4spds had this drive shaft.

Thank you for the info you posted
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 AM

That's awesome Tony! I thought the 67-68 Camaro and 68 Nova shaft was slightly different. Just wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:15 PM

My 68 L78 nova 4 Speed car has the chevelle style drive shaft 2 different sizes
Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 PM

WOW thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated. I know I used a non-big block drive shaft for a BB nova I had with no issues. It was the same diameter end to end.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Ok guys, So can any Camaro guys out there confirm that the 67 Camaro Drive Shaft is indeed the same as the 68 Camaro Drive Shaft? Is the 67 Camaro Drive Shaft the same as the 68 Camaro Drive shaft, as far as appearance? Meaning, we know the 68 Camaro Drive Shaft is indeed two diameters, very similar in appearance to the Chevelle and Pontiac Drive Shaft, or is the 67 Camaro Drive Shaft even something else, considering it was the first year of the first generation Camaro?

We have determined that the lengths of the first generation Camaro will be the same, depending on application, for the 67, 68, or 69 Camaro, yet regardless of applications, these will be 3" shorter than the 68-72 Nova due to wheelbase length.

We have also determined that the 68 Camaro and the 68 Nova utilized a 2 diameter shaft, similar to Chevelle and Pontiac, as far as appearance, again varying in length due to application....but is indeed the two diameter style like the Chevelle and Pontiac.

So, after all of the clarification and verification of appearances, Is the 67 Camaro or is it not the same as the 68 Camaro and 68 Nova Drive Shaft as far as appearance and style? We know the lengths will vary upon application but next question here is.....Is the 67 Camaro Drive Shaft indeed the same as the 68 Camaro Drive Shaft as far as appearance?

Again, regardless of any 1st generation Camaro Shaft and application, compared to 68-72 Nova Shafts and application, the Camaro Shafts will always be 3' shorter due to wheelbase length difference.

Again, here all I'm trying to confirm is, Indeed is the 67 Camaro Drive Shaft the same in appearance as the 68 Camaro Drive Shaft? If its different, what is different about it?

Thanks guys for the help in putting all of this collaboration together!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 PM

For 69novamanrick, I do have a 69 and didn't follow up with verification for you and sorry about that, CWC was very helpful it seems. As a member to this forum I find for the most part a bunch of good o Motörhead's that pitch in when they can. My suggestion is and I might add I have used in the past, is the Search function it has saved me and educated me on lots of occasions. It might be the assumption sometimes from folks on here that it has been asked before and discussed to detail before and that you will look back thru old data. Happy Holidays to all...
Old 12-16-2017, 02:20 AM

I apologize for not posting the info,I had seen Ricks post and figured I'd just get his number and send pics and measurements directly to him that night,mainly to be sure he got what he needed.there was never any intention of withholding info on my part.
Once again Rick,you're welcome
1968 chevelle ss396 L34 M21 KK rear all born with
1972 formula 400 M22
The Following User Says Thank You to cwc For This Useful Post:
69novamanrick (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:02 AM

Thanked 1,013 Times in 412 Posts

Lots of Camaro driveshaft info in this thread... http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7861.0;all