Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

Seems there are/were quite a few Yenko's floating around this area... why can't I find one!!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM

I remember reading that the 1953 Corvette serial #003 got separated from it's original numbered frame. Someone put another body on that frame and now there are TWO legal 1953 Corvettes serial #003.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

It would be easy to duplicate titles using a state that does not title old cars. Alabama does not title cars older than 1974. If an Alabama registered car is sold out of state, all you get is a bill of sale and a copy of registration. When you apply for a title in another state, the only information that they have is the bill of sale info. As long as the vin tag on the dash matches the vin on the bill of sale and the Alabama reg. you get a title with that vin.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Reference post #435721 on 11/11, I never received any PM.............
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 AM

Thanked 1,126 Times in 331 Posts

Tom - Just do what #435721 says and you'll get the answer(s). It's just a bunch of second hand bloviating designed to make people with no knowledge feel important.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM

I have a question regarding this issue, and that is if the cowl was replaced what does it matter other than the hidden vins? If the top of the dash was not replaced and the rest of the car is original, then replacing the cowl due to crash damage does not make this car a rebody. Does it? I had an SS396 Camaro that was hit hard down low on the drivers side firewall and cowl side many moons ago. To fix it I replaced the entire firewall and cowl cowl with one from a donor car as reproduction parts were not available, nor were nos GM pieces. I didn't care about numbers back then, so I would assume the hidden vins from the donor car were on the parts we used to fix my car. We split it under the base of the windshield at the dash and then along the floor seam at the toeboards. Unless you pulled the carpet and kick panels out you would never know it was replaced. Now I am wondering if that car ever resurfaces will people question its legitimacy as a real SS car....probably. Most might even think it is a rebody though it isn't since the dash vin was not removed and installed in another car.

Bergy I think you may be going down the right path, but it would be good money to have Jerry show up to do a full inspection before you start doing anything to the body of that car. Then while he is there have someone with a portable soda-blaster remove the paint from the firewall and cowl area. I wouldn't use a grinder as that may or may not mask any previous work done. Then at that time I would report Jerry's findings to the Camaro world. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Note to self - run from 616414 when it eventually comes up for sale. Going back to Van's COPO thread now.....
Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Tracker, you state: "car retains one hidden VIN". Thus, If you have the original car with that original hidden vin, and you legally have the title with that listed VIN, YOU own that car.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vfitom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tracker, you state: &quot;car retains one hidden VIN&quot;. Thus, If you have the original car with that original hidden vin, and you legally have the title with that listed VIN, YOU own that car. </div></div>

The rub is the title and the VIN plate reside with another individual who cut it out years ago. That aside, so, with your experience, you are saying a hidden VIN trumps an actual VIN plate on the dash in establishing the existence of &quot;a car&quot;? Cuz what I have is a pile of scrap metal with a matching engine block. What Bergy has is a whole car with VIN on the dash. You're saying - or at least intimating - is that because that VIN tag on the dash is removable it isn't as legitimate as a hidden VIN? (I'm just deducting out,here, from what you said in your post...allow me some leeway) So if Bergy had found this car with the hidden VINs on the cowl and behind the heater box in place BUT no VIN tag on the dash he'd be better off? Not challenging, just trying to learn.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vfitom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tracker, you state: &quot;car retains one hidden VIN&quot;. Thus, If you have the original car with that original hidden vin, and you legally have the title with that listed VIN, YOU own that car. </div></div>

.....- is that because that VIN tag on the dash is removable it isn't as legitimate as a hidden VIN? (I'm just deducting out,here, from what you said in your post...allow me some leeway) So if Bergy had found this car with the hidden VINs on the cowl and behind the heater box in place BUT no VIN tag on the dash he'd be better off? </div></div>

Yes..and yes...