Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts
Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one example they told me they just got finished picking up was a restored 62 vette in Chicago where the title did not match the frame numbers. Car was a big dollar ride, new owner lost his new purchase. </div></div>

That makes no sense. The frame on a lot of early corvettes rotted out and has to be replaced during a restoration. </div></div>

But this quote from you(Fast67VelleN2O)makes sense:
&quot;I am of the personal belief that the numbers are what make a car... not the body. To each his own opinion.&quot;

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paceme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But this quote from you(Fast67VelleN2O)makes sense:
&quot;I am of the personal belief that the numbers are what make a car... not the body. To each his own opinion.&quot;

</div></div>

Yes that is what I believe. The frame, as well as the body, in my opinion, is a replacable piece. The serial and cowl plate numbers, in my opinion, are what count. Every car received the same frame and body.... not every car received the same numbers.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM

so once a car body or frame rots past usefulness then that car should be scrapped, crushed or otherwise made impossible to resurrect?

That leaves a &quot;matching numbers&quot; drivetrain for future use ...

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM

I feel a re-body debate of epic proportions coming on....(sigh)...the fight nobody ever wins.

Perhaps Bergy could short-circuit it with some pictures, huh Bergy, huh?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel a re-body debate of epic proportions coming on....(sigh)...the fight nobody ever wins. </div></div>

I see the image of Schoneye &amp; Pam in the near future!
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM

There is only one correct guide line to go by. It is either numbers original or it isn't. This is what makes the real cars worth what they are worth. No re-stamps,re-bodies or panel replacments. Soft parts OK. Anything less is just that,Less.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM

I wonder now with the availability of full repo firewalls how many people are scrapping their confidential vins and not even realizing their significance?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes that is what I believe. The frame, as well as the body, in my opinion, is a replacable piece. The serial and cowl plate numbers, in my opinion, are what count. Every car received the same frame and body.... not every car received the same numbers. </div></div>

Crazy analogy #1
Think of a car as a human body. The body is the skin, frame is the skeleton, heart is the powerplant and the tags are your DNA. You can have a heart transplant, your skin grafted and your DNA altered. Can you live without a skeleton?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 AM

Yes, that is a crazy analogy alright.

Jason
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder now with the availability of full repo firewalls how many people are scrapping their confidential vins and not even realizing their significance?</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking. This is a debate that will go on forever. Someone said earlier that the hidden vins make the car and the body doesn't. I tend to disagree because most Ford's built prior to 1953 don't have vins on the body anywhere, only on the frame and engine. That is why you see so many 32-34 Ford street rods that have fiberglass bodies with correct vins for their model of car. The builders either use an existing frame that has no body and mount a new fiberglass body on it, or they stamp a new frame with a vin to which they have a title to and install a fiberglass body. Technically either way the car is not really a 32-34 Ford....is it not? To me if the riveted vin has never been removed from the car nor the metal it is attached to been removed, then it is still the car that it once was. How many Chevelles and Monte Carlos that have vins stamped on their frames had a frame swap done due to rust or crash damage? There are lots of them, so does that mean that original drivetrain LS6 Chevelle is no longer the car it originally was? Oh just thinking about this can give someone a headache.