Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

This discussion needs a Canadian viewpoint...."A car’s legal VIN number is what is stamped in the metal, not the VIN plate"
My opinion may differ from what is legally acceptable. There is only one VIN. The VIN is used to title a car. A VIN derivative is not on the title. The VIN is riveted on the dash. The stampings are not the VIN. Stampings are VIN derivatives. Under stampings are cowl stampings, block stamping and transmission stamping, all determine pieces that belong to a VIN. So if I have the original transmission to this YENKO, I would not be the legal title holder to the VIN, same with the cowl stampings. But if a theft occurred and the VIN got separated the VIN derivatives are used to identify pieces that belong to the VIN. If a past owner to this YENKO decides to change a damaged part on his cowl and in turn loses a VIN deriavative, the VIN is the VIN. If I hold the original cowl pieces with the VIN derivatives to this Yenko it does not make me the legitamite owner to the car.
While on this topic my view on rebodies: If I decide to sell my original motor which has the VIN derivative to my car , I believe this is the same as taking my car body with original stampings and swapping it for a dynacorn. I believe this should not be illegal. When a buyer is looking for a original car, one checks all VIN derivatives. It should be illegal to restamp a VIN derivative on a part, this is fraud...because the VIN derivative is used to identify original pieces to a VIN........
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

HiHorse

Great perspective and the best one so far!
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiHorse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This discussion needs a Canadian viewpoint....&quot;A car’s legal VIN number is what is stamped in the metal, not the VIN plate&quot;
My opinion may differ from what is legally acceptable. There is only one VIN. The VIN is used to title a car. A VIN derivative is not on the title. The VIN is riveted on the dash. The stampings are not the VIN. Stampings are VIN derivatives. Under stampings are cowl stampings, block stamping and transmission stamping, all determine pieces that belong to a VIN. So if I have the original transmission to this YENKO, I would not be the legal title holder to the VIN, same with the cowl stampings. But if a theft occurred and the VIN got separated the VIN derivatives are used to identify pieces that belong to the VIN. If a past owner to this YENKO decides to change a damaged part on his cowl and in turn loses a VIN deriavative, the VIN is the VIN. If I hold the original cowl pieces with the VIN derivatives to this Yenko it does not make me the legitamite owner to the car.
While on this topic my view on rebodies: If I decide to sell my original motor which has the VIN derivative to my car , I believe this is the same as taking my car body with original stampings and swapping it for a dynacorn. I believe this should not be illegal. When a buyer is looking for a original car, one checks all VIN derivatives. It should be illegal to restamp a VIN derivative on a part, this is fraud...because the VIN derivative is used to identify original pieces to a VIN........

</div></div>

Well said! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 AM

Back in the mid 80's I worked with a guy named Mark(he was the manager of the tire store that I worked at) that had '69 Camaro. The car was in Z/28 trim with a small block and a 4 speed and was a very nice car. Come to find out the car was originally an SS396/375 that he cloned into a Z/28 that he would autocross(car was stiff and lowered) once in a while. One day he cleaned out his garage at home and brought a bunch of stuff to the shop to throw away. One of the items was the original 396 short block that came out of the Camaro that he set aside for the scrap man..... yes he threw away the numbers matching 396/375 block for his car. He said it was still good but was .060 over. I was gonna grab it but didn't want to put it in the trunk of my '70 Monte Carlo.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAIIIT/A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes he threw away the numbers matching 396/375 block for his car.</div></div>

Ouch!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM

All of the discussion about ZL-1 got me thinking about this car. Just curious what was the final outcome of the car in question here. Did it turn out to be a real Yenko?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 330 Posts

The thread got to be such a hassle that I decided to just quietly complete the investigation. Hundreds of disassembly pictures, videos, expert observations/attestation, identification of all ownership periods, police reports, owner's statements, Yenko inventory sheet, NICB Report, on &amp; on. The book is almost written.

The problem with posting answers to questions, individual photos, and other docs on a site like this is that each posting just results in demands for more postings - &amp; rightly so. The book has to be viewed in its entirity to fully understand the car. I guess that's a long way of saying that I'll bring the entire book to MCACN next year and anyone/everyone can see it.

One photo (I think it was taken in 2000) previously presented on pg 14 of this thread is kind of interesting though. It seems that no one ever commented on that unusual radiator. BTW - it has a &quot;B&quot; date.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Bruce, I think the nagging question, that was discussed over &amp; over, was regarding the removal of the heater box to reveal that hidden vin and if 'that vin' matches either the hidden cowl vin or the 616414 dash vin.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 330 Posts

The partial vin under the heater box is 9N616414. This is where you have to see the pictures and video to understand where (and why) repairs were made to the cowel and elephant ear section - to see where the original spot welds are still in place vs later repair welds. This was a street/track car - so the repairs to the cowl areas were not all from accident damage. You really need to see the pictures &amp; videos. Like I said before - one question begs another - we could go on and on.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM

cant wait to read that book bruce! great project. if it looks anything like your burnished brown COPO, it will be spectacular.
buddy
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new