Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Mark
For me in my area I only have one recycle option that is closed during the winter months here, however I make sure to collect any and all coolant and take it with my paint slop at least once a year. A little off topic, but fluorescent lamps as well !
I find it discouraging for some to get ride of coolant where as engine oil almost all the auto parts stores take no questions ask ?
And your correct, it is the right thing to do, and my require a little effort.

JMO Mike
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM

At my Caterpillar dealership, we kidney looped engine and transmission oil on large rental and machines with service contracts through a filter system to clean the oil rather than replace it. The oil never left the reservoirs, was cleaned, then rejuvenated with new additives. This was a huge cost savings, especially on field machines where 30-50 gallons of new and used oil would have to be handled by a single mechanic from one machine.

Too bad this couldn't be done cost effectively on over the highway cars and trucks. It would eliminate a huge problem of disposing of used lubricants.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 PM

Funny, because they bottle it out of junk cars and sell it. It's in a clear milk jug, and it's black. I find that funny and retarded.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

It is quite a unique situation in my town. I bring all the liquids to be recycled and put in the appropriate containers the village has set up. THEN, I go shopping. The guy that runs the small facility has 2 stalls that he stores all the old stuff that comes in (cans of carb cleaner, brake cleaner, old, never opened oil (a lot of times the old stuff with zinc) everything you can think of. Best part, take whatever you want, all free. I can say I have not paid for any brake fluid, PS fluid, coolant, cleaners, carnauba wax in the past 10 years. It's a great set up
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa