Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 69/Z28 View Post
Yes I can put my fingers between the inner lip and sidewall. Enough room for the tires to travel up and down without rubbing. .
Okay, I'm guessing that they are measuring the backspace from the bead set of the rim and not the outer lip then. In which case they would fit just fine. That's what is throwing me off.

Post back with the fronts done, I'm anxious to hear.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
rhduntov (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM

Any word on the front tires?

I might take the plunge this weekend and order a set, and check the back spacing a couple different ways. If it turns out they won't fit the Camaro, I'll put them on another car here.

Incidentally I was searching around and found that Weld Wheels measures the backspacing just how I originally described. Video here, fast forward to 3 minutes and skip the mumbo jumbo.

https://youtu.be/n96lE8jdMlQ

Has me thinking.....how is American Racing doing it? Because Weld is doing it from the very back lip of the wheel, like I mentioned earlier. I believe that is the standardized way. Measuring from the bead set gives me the confidence that the wheel is the same as a 15x7 rally (~3.75" from the bead), but what are they doing?

Last edited by x33rs; 02-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
Because Weld is doing it from the very back lip of the wheel, like I mentioned earlier. I believe that is the standardized way. Measuring from the bead set gives me the confidence that the wheel is the same as a 15x7 rally (~3.75" from the bead), but what are they doing?
This is how I've always understood backspacing as well. If you find American is doing it different, please post back, as I've ignored some AR wheels duw to lack of backspace.

If you compare the backspace and offset listed in the AR catalog for a given wheel, I believe they are doing it the standard way (same as Weld).
The Following User Says Thank You to novadude For This Useful Post:
x44d80 (03-02-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I plan on getting them mounted this weekend and will test them out. After that I will post a picture and let you know how they are.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 PM

So I took it out for a drive on some very bumpy and somewhat dippy roads with two little girls in the backseat and my wife in the passenger seat plus a full tank of gas. I also cut the wheel all the way to left and right while driving in tight circles in a parking lot.
I never felt or heard any rubbing but what I did notice was a slight line on the outside of the front left tire. After further investigating it was slightly and I mean slightly touching the top bolt head on the inner fender. The other side didn't touch because that top bolt was not in. I removed the top bolt of the left side and I am almost certain that it fixed it but didn't have time to test it. I am going to buy a few flat button bolts today on the way home from the office and I think I am good to go. Looks wise, I am very pleased.

I think if someone didn't want a wider lower type stance and went with a stock size tire like maybe a 215/70 there would no issues. Plus every car is a bit different as we all know.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Looks great, I like it. Your car in the picture doesn't appear to sit any higher than mine.

I ordered a set. I'll check the back spacing and go from there. I have a couple different plans of attack if I run into any issues.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Just something to note. You mentioned your top inner fender bolt touching.

I don't know if this is factory or not, because they have been there since the mid 80's (as far as I know about the car) but mine have very shallow hex head bolts in those locations (12 o'clock) on both sides, and I assume it's just for that reason, more tire clearance. They are very shallow heads, tricky to keep a wrench or socket on them. I'd guess they aren't more than an 1/8" thick.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
Just something to note. You mentioned your top inner fender bolt touching.

I don't know if this is factory or not, because they have been there since the mid 80's (as far as I know about the car) but mine have very shallow hex head bolts in those locations (12 o'clock) on both sides, and I assume it's just for that reason, more tire clearance. They are very shallow heads, tricky to keep a wrench or socket on them. I'd guess they aren't more than an 1/8" thick.
I suspect someone did that with maybe some tire issues in the past. That is exactly what I am going to do. Honestly, this is a very minor thing to deal with after seeing how they look. I would have gone to much greater measures to keep this look.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 69/Z28 View Post
I suspect someone did that with maybe some tire issues in the past. That is exactly what I am going to do. Honestly, this is a very minor thing to deal with after seeing how they look. I would have gone to much greater measures to keep this look.
Yep that's what I suspect since both actuator covers had holes worn in them from someone putting too large of a front tire on it.

Even as the car is now with stock rallys and 215/65's, as I mentioned once in a great while when turning and backing up I hear a tire rub at full lock. Both of those shallow bolt heads are "polished" LOL

Wouldn't bother me at all to switch the front to a 215-70 (stock size) if need be.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:08 PM

Wheels arrived today (however without lug nuts and valves stems that are supposed to be included)

Anyway, the back spacing is indeed 3.75" as measured from the outer wheel lip. The wheel also weighs 19 lbs. for those interested.

I won't get a chance to dismount tires until Saturday. I'll start with the front first since that's likely the trouble spot and see how things fit.