Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-26-2002, 09:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts
Default Motor Wheel "Fly" wheels

Does anyone have information on the "Fly" wheels that were made by the Motor Wheel corporation in the '70s? There's a local guy selling a set in the paper and I was wondering if they're worth looking at.

Thanks,
Tony
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 28397-72TAWheel.jpg 27741-motorwheel_3_small.jpg 27739-motorwheel_1_small.jpg 27676-Spyder add 1.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-27-2002, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Motor Wheel "Fly" wheels

Here's an "interesting" add from June of 73........Love those wheels [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2003, 12:20 AM

These wheels look very similar to factory pictures of
a Firebird Trans-Am 1972.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2002, 12:33 AM

The fronts were made of magnesium and the rears were aluminum. They were very light. The rears are hard to find under 10". Motor Wheel also sold the Spyder. These were available through the Yenko Stinger Stuff Catalog. Finding a good used set is tough and expensive. They look very good on a Camaro or other for a great day two look. I have had both wheels on display at the Super Car Reunion...BKH
Old 12-27-2002, 12:37 AM

The Spyders are pictured in the attachment...what do the Fly wheels look like ?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:54 AM

Still looking.....first add that came to mind.

Steve
Old 12-27-2002, 01:48 AM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

Scuncio,

------I have a full set of Flys on "Red Alert",My old 70 SS/DA 70 Chevelle.Originally the 1st owner(Bob Hamilton)had a deal with Motor and got his wheels free.They sent him Spyders for the rear though as they werent willing to guarantee strength early on.I have since located a set of 12 inch rear Flys to complete the set.Bob always said he wanted them as they were the lightest wheels on the market at the time.Former poster is correct.The rears are aluminum,and have a floating spacer in between the two halves.The narrow fronts are magnesium two piece wheels with a red filler in between the two sides.I have been told by an old Motor Wheel employee that the red filler was bowling ball material!Oh,they are a very classic flat five spoke design.
------Make sure you get lug nuts with the set as they are a specific size,and difficult to find.The center caps are also hard to find,some being aluminum,like mine,and some being plastic.Front and back sides are both useable.If you find a weird offset you can turn em around,polish em,and use em the other way.
------They can bring a pretty good amount on the right day,but sometimes you can find a set cheap.A buddy down in Cleveland has about a hundred of em!I got my rears from him ,but as a rule he wont even talk about selling em.Dont know why he needs em all.Probably sleeps with em I guess............Bill S.......ol red!
Old 12-27-2002, 02:41 AM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Well, I went ahead and bought them tonight...and now I just read all these replies and I'm thrilled to hear that these are the Red Alert wheels. These will be going on my much less famous '70 Chevelle SS396. The seller only had two wheels, both 15x8 with the Chevy bolt pattern. These are the aluminum wheels with the floating spacer. They are super light and pretty cool looking. Unfortunately, the lug nuts were long gone and it looks like they're supposed to be some kind of extended shank design with a flat washer.
The lip of each rim is a little nicked up and the finish is oxidized. Has anybody found a safe, mild cleaner to use that won't affect the surface?

Thanks in advance,
Tony