Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Growing up in Chicago in the 60's

Interesting thing happened last year......After getting involved on Facebook, I got a message asking if I was the Ken Tibor that lived in Chicago in a certain neighborhood......I recognized the name and ended up getting into a conversation with a friend from the 65-68 street/Drag Racing era in Chicago......Wow.....I hadn't seen or talked to Eddie since probably 1968.....we ended up meeting at the Grove for a Chicago Wise Guy's meet and I also ended up meeting up with Mario Manzella (we ran my 66 L-79 Nova together back in 67) at the same meet..........Wow!!......Talk about reliving the past!
So....we went our seperate ways for the winter and we decided to go out to dinner together last week......Me, Paulette, Eddie and his wife Maureen and Mario....
Now, I got out of Drag Racing back in 68 and started to learn a trade and raise a family....Eddie moved to California for a period and Mario stayed involved in the Chicago Drag Racing scene....he ended up driving the Shake Rattle and Run 57 Chev for many years (he was inducted into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame at the Grove last year....
So...we end up meet for dinner and Mario shows up with Pic's of the cars that we raced back in the day......Wow!!....Pictures I didn't know existed.....So....I'm gonna "Bore" anyone that has any interest in "OLD" car pic's...

Here's a pic of Mario with his Pontiac from probably 64..

Also a picture of Mario's Mom's 66 SS396 Chevelle Marina Blue Convert....LOL....This is why I ended up with a duplicate....all time favorite

Mario and Joe Catalano with his Mr. Norm Street Ram

Eddie had a 66 Chevelle L-78 car that ran in the low 12's with just a cam change.....Great Times for the day

And Mario also had some pic's of my Nova .....the Nova ran a best of 11.73 back in 67....we used to race at U.S. 30 on Wednesday Nights and the grove on the Weekend...here are the pic's he had...

Towing to the track with Mario's Cadilac....we were "Styl'in" before styling was a word...LOL

At the track

And a recent picture of Shake Rattle and Run

We signed a Menu together from the dinner for "History"...LOL

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...