Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Default California cars

This may be a stupid question, but were any 69 COPO Camaros built at the California plant?
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 374270-L.A.COPO001.jpg 374014-Factory_Flyer.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Re: California cars

At least this one. Now owned by a member of this board I believe.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 AM

Thanks Anders, it seems like every COPO I've read about was a Norwood car, delivered from a midwest or east coast dealership.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Steve, this is from another article where the car is featured. Bow-tie baron, Chevrolet High Performance July 1988. It doesn´t say where they got that "about six COPO`s built" from. They also state that the car came off the assembly line without a heater. I have heard again and again that in 69 all cars built in the U.S had to have a heater.
Charley, haven´t you seen the buildsheet from this car ? Is it true or false ?
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM

Starting JAN 68 Federal Mandates required Defrosters in ALL Passengers car sold in the USA. If theres a buildsheet showing this car was shipped without a heater I would like to see it as well as what dealership sold it. Exported maybe and returned later to the USA

[ QUOTE ]
e-CFR Data is current as of December 9, 2008

Title 49: Transportation
PART 571—FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS
Subpart B—Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 571.103 Standard No. 103; Windshield defrosting and defogging systems.
S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for windshield defrosting and defogging systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Road load means the power output required to move a given motor vehicle at curb weight plus 180 kilograms on level, clean, dry, smooth portland cement concrete pavement (or other surface with equivalent coefficient of surface friction) at a specified speed through still air at 20 degrees Celsius, and standard barometric pressure (101.3 kilopascals) and includes driveline friction, rolling friction, and air resistance.

S4. Requirements. (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each passenger car shall meet the requirements specified in S4.1, S4.2, and S4.3, and each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus shall meet the requirements specified in §4.1.

(b) Each passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus manufactured for sale in the noncontinental United States may, at the option of the manufacturer, have a windshield defogging system which operates either by applying heat to the windshield or by dehumidifying the air inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, in lieu of meeting the requirements specified by paragraph (a) of this section.

S4.1 Each vehicle shall have a windshield defrosting and defogging system.

S4.2 Each passenger car windshield defrosting and defogging system shall meet the requirements of section 3 of SAE Recommended Practice J902, “Passenger Car Windshield Defrosting Systems,” August 1964, when tested in accordance with S4.3, except that “the critical area” specified in paragraph 3.1 of SAE Recommended Practice J902 shall be that established as Area C in accordance with Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104, “Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems,” and “the entire windshield” specified in paragraph 3.3 of SAE Recommended Practice J902 shall be that established as Area A in accordance with §571.104.

S4.3 Demonstration procedure. The passenger car windshield defrosting and defogging system shall be tested in accordance with the portions of paragraphs 4.1 through 4.4.7 of SAE Recommended Practice J902, August 1964, or SAE Recommended Practice J902a, March 1967, applicable to that system,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Secretary of Transportation delegated the authority to promulgate FMVSSs to the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which promulgated the first FMVSSs in 1967 and made them
effective for vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, for sale or use in
the United States. NHTSA has promulgated many additional FMVSSs since then, has updated or
amended nearly all of them, and has rescinded a few. The FMVSSs, along with other NHTSA
regulations, are incorporated into Chapter 5 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (“CFR”).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

The car has a heater delete but I think it was added just to follow a theme. I did it to a COPO back then also. I didn't try to see if the build sheet mentioned a heater because I assume it came with one.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 AM

So no one really knows how many COPOs were built at the Van Nuys plant?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Pretty much.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 AM

At least one.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM

This guy claims to have one ... well I am not sure if he claims to have one or if he wants you to assume he has one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet...tem330294302791