Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Re: More Chevelle updates

Two steps forward, one HUGE step backwards. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]

I got everything all buttoned back up today--carrier back in, axles &amp; brake backing plates reinstalled. All that was left to do was reinstall the drums &amp; wheels/tires and add fluid.

Since these axles have 1/2&quot; studs, I had to drill out the holes on the drums for clearance. No problem, get them drilled out, go to slide them on aaaannnnnddddd....

They stop dead at the hub register. A quick &amp; rough check with my calipers reveals the hub on the axle is a little over 2.830&quot;, and the hub bore in the drum is only ~2.800.

It appears I'll either have to send the axles back to be machined, or I'll have to find someone who can <span style="text-decoration: underline">accurately</span> bore out the register since these brakes are hub-centric.

The bloom is <span style="font-weight: bold">definitely</span> off the rose at this point.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 PM

Bummer.....time for a Cold One [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Been doing more research on this hub sizing problem, haven't been able to make heads or tails of why they (aftermarket) would change something so standardized as the register hub.

I have a pair of basic street/strip c-clip style Strange axles ready to go into the `67 dated 12 bolt, and the registers on them fit the drums just fine.

Here's the same drum on the HD axle:

Luckily, the wheel register clears with room to spare, and I didn't even have to drill out the axle stud holes, there's already ample room for the 1/2' studs (note the wheel is slipped directly over the axle flange, the drum is not in place here):

We'll see what Strange has to say tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM

I *think * I've found the issue.

When I measured the hub on the HD axle, it appears I had the calipers slightly on the radius at the back of the register which showed the large reading. I re-measured this morning making sure to only measure the outer part of the register, and it does measure the same as the c-clip style axle for the `67 rear end. (It's not easy to get an accurate measurement with the wheel studs in place)

It appears I may just need to go one size larger on the wheel stud holes to allow a little wiggle room for the drum to index on the register. I'm off to the hardware store shortly to pick up a 17/32&quot; drill bit.

Please...let it be this easy. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM

Thank you Baby Jesus, thank you Tom Cruise!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sometimes ya' just have to get lucky!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's the old thread on the Suburban build? You need to update that when you do the brakes. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

Got the new proportioning valve installed on the Suburban today...<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">HYYYOOOOGE</span></span></span> improvement in braking capability! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

May need to adjust the rear shoes up a tad, the pedal is still a little lower than I prefer. I also need to check the front pads again since they've been so over-worked, they're probably glazed over again.

Thanks again for posting that tsb info for me, I really appreciate it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Great news! You should now pull the drums and visually check the rear shoes, since if they were anything like mine, they were never really touching the drums for the past 21 years. And if you had any kind of seal leaks they are compromised anyway.

Also check the condition of the front rotor dust shields. I had one rusty one that broke away and instead of harmlessly falling to the pavement, it rotated around and rolled itself up like aluminum foil, in between the brake pad and the rotor. That was a real fun time! It happened when I was pulling the trailer with Gramma's car in it. It activated the ABS on the other wheel since it was technically reading the mangled dust shield as a wheel slippage event. Luckily I brought an extra set of old pads with me and some tools to rip the shield remnant out of there. P.S. There is no way to replace the shield without pulling the CV axle and front hub bearing assembly since the tin shield mounting flange is sandwiched between the hub and the bearing.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:35 PM

I had the brakes done on the Suburban last year, and they installed new rear shoes &amp; all new hardware. The truck had just over 200K miles on it at the time, and the shoes were indeed the original units. I'm not sure what grade of shoes they replaced them with, I need to check the receipt and see if it's mentioned on there. They initially had the rear brakes set a little too tight--to the point where a trip to Kil Kare the following day led to a noticeable &quot;hitching&quot; issue during normal driving (NOT just while braking) once the drums got a little warm. I took it back in and they backed the shoes off, but I think they backed them off too much.

Mine's a 2WD so no CV joints for me to have to deal with. However the front ABS sensors do tend to get fouled up with rust &amp; road debris which necessitates de-schmutzing them once in a while.

Aside from the above, all that's really left to do on the short list is get a section of corroded fuel line replaced along with installing a fresh fuel filter. I do want to replace the rusty pass. side front fender and the pass. side rear cargo door that got boogered up when Dave (bodyguy who did the Chevelle) had trouble replacing the hinge pin bushings and wound up actually breaking one of the hinges (--which for some unexplainable reason the factory saw fit to WELD on both the body AND the doors?!?) in the process, but that'll have to wait. I'm holding out in the hopes of finding a fender &amp; door in the original color so I don't have to re-paint nor drive around in a multi-hued DD.

Who knows?!?--maybe this year I'll FINALLY be able to get the 489 nestled down in the engine bay. I'm sure the stock 454 would appreciate that lol...she's pretty tired at this point.

Hey--at least now I'll have the &quot;whoa&quot; to go along with the &quot;GO!&quot; of the 489. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

I thought you put that new engine in a while ago? I remember when we attempted to remove my rear drums. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img] If did my best Quasimodo impression trying to &quot;ring the bell&quot; with a sledge hammer, banging on the outer rim of the drum to break it free from the hub after 20 years.