Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Default Red line radial versus bias ply

Wanna give my nova the original look with the steel wheels and dog dish caps. Having a hard time deciding what to get though. Radial are good for drivablity around town, but I still would like the "original" look of the E70-14 red line bias. But I have been told there really only good for trailer queens, and show cars. I will not be trailering my car at all, just local cruising and shows within a hour of home, with mostly city/town driving, and minimal highway miles. Thanks in advance for ALL your opions or suggestions on my delema. Darcy
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 447314-tires.JPG 447297-4thofjuly3.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Red line radial versus bias ply

I have the F-70 Red Lines on my 67 SS and they have their moments!! LOL They tend to get into ridges in the road and follow them so you must be alert! They are ok on the highway. Mine are the bias ones. Driven every where...

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 AM

I can tell you the bias ply hooks alot better at the track. Very good 60 ft times on a pure stock LS6 chevelle.
Kevin
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 AM

I have Coker red line Bias plys on my 67. When they wear out I will go with, Red Line Radials. The red line Bias ply tires I have are the hardest things to drive i have ever had. They follow every groove in the road and will dart left or right with the least little bump. A friend of mine put a set of the red line radial on his 66 vett. they looked good a drove good. I THINK "black diamond tire"
Larry
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 AM

I like the BF Goodrich Silvertown Radials, same tire & tread as the T/A with a nice redline look.

Grant
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM

i have had bias ply tires since 1984 on many of my cars.
nice soft ride and they sound great when you burn out.
they hook good too.
just keep your hand on the wheel when your on the highway as the ridges on the road wants to shift the steering sometimes but no big deal.
IMO nothing looks as nice on a vintage car than original style tires
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 AM

I personally hate radials on old cars. I think the negative comments of bias ply tires must have something to do with the proper alignment and condition of the suspension bushings and hardware, because I always hear horror stories about using them on older cars for street driving. I do it all summer (remember summer?) and haven't really had any problems. Last year I put over 5000 miles on a '32 highboy with skinny bias plys and it always tracked down the road straight as an arrow and smooth as silk.

A few years ago I had G70-14 redline Firestones on a '69 El Camino and experienced a little of the "tracking/wandering" issues mentioned above, but never enough that I'd have swapped to radials. I drove it alot too.

I've actually found that driving in heavy rain at highway speeds to be the only time bias ply tires ever make me a little nervous. The drive home from Columbus last year was in the rain the entire way, and my bias plies did seem to like to hydroplane a bit easier than my buddies' radials...but if you're aware of this and don't drive like an idiot, it's not really a big deal.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Radials do ride nice and handle better, but there is nothing like the look of a bias ply tire on these old cars.. I guess you kind of sacrifice the look and style for the ride..

My buddy drove his 66 Chevelle on the Hot Rod Power Tour a couple of years back from Cleveland, Oh. to Kalamazoo, Michigan on bias plys and he said the drive was fine except for driving in the rain like Joe stated above. He said the car got a little "squirrely" on the road and he had to really take it slow...

Rich
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts

We have a mixture of both bias-ply and radials on our cars(not on the same car )...there is no doubt to me that the radials handle better and are safer at highway speeds. That said, I still think the bias-plys are fine for local cruises and shorter trips. It is important that your suspension components be in good shape....any problems will be magnified by the bias-ply tires. We use the BFG Silvertown redline radials, Firestone Indy 500's and the Diamondback Classics redlines..all quality products with no issues at all.

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

I am glad someone asked this question as I have been pondering the same. Two of the Corvairs I am presently working on are Aztec Bronze and I have 2 sets of original 14x7 Minilites. I have been thinking that between the Aztec Bronze, the silver Minilites and the Red Lines the cars would look great. Maybe I will put the radials on the one that lara would possibly drive and bias on the one that I would be the only driver on.

Thanks for the insight guys.
1969 Yenko Stinger YS-320
Southeast of Disorder