Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Cam number out of my L-78 nova

Took my motor apart to freshen it up, and have a look at everything. The camshaft I don't believe is correct. The numbers on the end of the stick are 13 20 89, and then a 996. Can anybody help out and tell me the specs on this cam and what make?? I won't be using it again, as I will be going with a repalcement comp cam, but would like to compare it to the one going back in.
Turns out the motor is .30 over, been line honed at one time, the caps where cut also, and has been balanced. The pistons are TRW with a marking on the dome, L2242 is what I think the numbers are. Are these correct replacements?? We will be reusing the pistons, as they look fine.
This car still had what looked like the original clutch in it. It had funny factory chalk marks on it. Thanks for your input in advance guys.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Cam number out of my L-78 nova

Looks like a Crane core, but are there any other numbers/markings on it? The L2242 piston is the L78 replacement piston from TRW...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Cam number out of my L-78 nova

Thanks for ur reply Rob

I called comp cams today and asked them, they said it isn't there camshaft part number. So maybe it is a Crane cam!! Inbetween some of the lobes are the following numbers, from front to back, CWC, and then a M, 180 degrees from it, then a C3, then 180 degrees is D3, then the next markings are near the back of the stick, between the lobes is 881, then right beside the distributor gear is a 6 then 180 degrees from it is a J.
Owner number 2 of the car said he put a hydraulic cam in it for more bottom end, however, it has solid lifters in it at this time. Maybe this will help you identify it Rob. I just thought maybe somebody would have some old camshaft books around or recognize the part #.
What do you think of this cam, close to the same as the L-78, but a lil more modern. I think I will be using this one when we put it back together. Comp 11-671-4, or the link to it.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...d=475&sb=2

Thanks again for your time.