Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
The Hurst Super Shifter is the next best thing. Less invasive but you'll still probably do a little trimming to get things working. The straight rods and reverse lockout are great and it looks good too. I have used them in Novas without consoles. Not sure how much work it will involve on the console of a 69 Camaro.

Tommy
Allmost the same amount of butchering/cutting the floor is involved in a Camaro for the Super Shifter, brkt and rods are allmost identical, big difference is the Ram rod has horizontal stop bolts front and rear as well as a separate reverse lever, and body of shifter a bit bulkier .
Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yes.......you will have to cut the floor quite a bit.......but.......if you get past that issue, the RamRod is an amazing shifter and if set up correctly, you don't have to hold up the tee handle when shifting unless you really shift it slow. The only time you have to use the tee handle is for first or second gear.

Here is a short video of me shifting my car around town.......it will only work if you or someone you know has Facebook.

Kurt

https://www.facebook.com/kurt.burdic...3939465274386/

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 AM

The RamRod is a perfect Day-2 addition even though it wasn't out until 1971 or so....a lot of people didn't modify their car the 2nd day it was purchased.......it's just a term. For example, the MCACN show allows modifications up to 5 years after the car was originally built.

On a side note......a Mr. Gasket V-Gate requires more room because of its design.

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 Post Sedan For This Useful Post:
NorCam (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Post Sedan View Post
The RamRod is a perfect Day-2 addition even though it wasn't out until 1971 or so....a lot of people didn't modify their car the 2nd day it was purchased.......it's just a term. For example, the MCACN show allows modifications up to 5 years after the car was originally built.

Kurt
100% correct! You saved all month to get a new set of headers or manifold or wheels and tires but not unless you had lots $$$$ no one did day 2 the next day. Pro racers did like the Grump but not your average Joe. Well said Kurt!

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 06-15-2017, 03:10 AM

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
Dont do it. I had to fix that mess on my old 69Z.
Ditto here. You could have run a dog through the hole in my floor.

I might consider it on a beater, but not on a car with nice floors.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I'll do it on the next street machine build, which I'm sure will be right around the corner. Bought some Centerlines last night, have a couple spare engines going here, another Muncie with under the bench and an Ansen bell on the way. I think a 69 Nova or Chevelle is waiting to find me?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
I'll do it on the next street machine build, which I'm sure will be right around the corner. Bought some Centerlines last night, have a couple spare engines going here, another Muncie with under the bench and an Ansen bell on the way. I think a 69 Nova or Chevelle is waiting to find me?
Theres no way I'd cut up your REAL 22,000 mile 69 Z28 with Canadian Bullet Proof Documentation verifying such, go buy a clone or base car with no real value in the collector car market to butcher up if you just have to have that so called day 2 look. I was around when these mods were done back in 70/71, and many a person regretted cutting a garbage can size hole in their floor. Just sayin.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Since it was a 1971 manufacture that would make it a Year 2 modification. :-)

I had one in my 1969 Z11 Pace Car back in high school. It took a ton of hacksawing the entire side of the tranny hump to get it to fit. I had to remove the 6" by 10" section that was up against the side of the shifter, and then sawing a big slot out horizonatally to allow the straight rods to not rub against the side of the tunnel.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Taking a better look at the Super Shifter linkage I'm starting to wonder if it I had that rather than the Ram Rod linkage. Regardless, I don't know about a dog, but I could definitely have passed a cat through there. Probably most importantly, that was on a no frills X11 car and not something that we'd look back and and lament the fact that someone destroyed a RS/SS or a Z. I still wish I knew how it ended up with the Comp Plus mech.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

So called Day II?

Lakewood 3 point roll bar, a good set of Stahl Headers, Moroso Tach (cable driven on the dash even), Mr. Gasket, Mallory or Accel dual point CD dizzy, aftermarket shifter (cut and diced in), Slapper Bars (bright yellow), Drag Wheels (Centerlines, Cragars, or Street Tricks) and some old M&H Racemasters with Pizza Cutters on the front. Next stop, pick a solid cam from the bottom of the page and work the hell out of the heads with some Harland Sharp rockers and a set of guide plates w/ studs. That's what I'm talking about. Day II, Year II...I don't care which style applies or what you want to call it, it's freakin cool on these cars and was right for the 70's and the early 80's. Kym Miller certainly didn't care that he was hacking and stick welding all over his original sheet metal, so why should I be concerned?

Might be worse to keep it as a clean polished car that seldom gets driven or thrashed on while it sits tucked away in the confines of a heated shop. Life speeds on by here buddy...and we gotta have fun while we're here with the living. When's the last time this car went down the track or had some Day II performance goodies on it. In fact, when's the last time if was taken out and thrashed on? Don't hate on me for wanting what I still think is cool on these cars. Too many of these cars are over restored, under appreciated, and parked to collect dust I say

I'm taking a page from Grady, Dans & Mikes book. Mine's going Day II

Last edited by NorCam; 06-15-2017 at 07:43 PM.