Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1969 Camaro copo on ebay

X-44 would NOT be a factory RS car. X-11 COULD be an RS car, but most were not.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:09 PM

It depends on the seller. If I sell a car on Ebay I will give the buyer a chance to look at the car. If the car is as described then the seller should buy it. However, if I buy a car off Ebay and it is different than described I would be quite upset.

Jason
Old 02-06-2002, 05:55 AM

Is it Kevin or Eli??

You ask some interesting questions that are difficult to answer. If you feel you paid approx. $8k too much, are you asking if $30k or $22k is a fair price? If you have sentimental reasons for the purchase, then the final price paid is not as relevant.

I know of many COPO projects that have been sold within the last few years, but they usually do so via word-of-mouth.

Bottom line, if you want a COPO car, you have just bought a nice solid project, in a rare color, without common options (D80), that will look awesome if you restore it correctly, and hey, it might just turn out to be a bargain a few years from now
Marlin
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-06-2002, 11:46 AM

The X44 COPO is a base car without style trim. If you are doing this as a family project go for it. You can take your time as you look for parts. Engine items, trim , body panels etc are getting harder to find all the time and the repo parts they sell for the most part are junk. It's hard to believe they can even sell this stuff. The car you have bought will be a stunning combination when finished. I have yet to see a Scunzio COPO car in person. The car is super low miles. As far as paper is concerned. It seems well documented and has all the things you would look for in a COPO. X44 big blocks are COPO's. As for price payed, who cares but you. Any board member would want at least that for it if it were theirs. You may find a project that costs less, but you will get less most of the time. As time goes buy it will seem like you did very well, and I think you did well at this point. Choose your parts venders wisely. Ask questions to this board. Many members do restorations all the time. It will be an excellent project with a high upside when done...BKH
Old 02-06-2002, 12:58 PM

Just a note to the person who questioned my possibly "backing-out" of this purchase. FYI - This would be the first item I have purchased from eBay. I spoke (via e-mail) with eBay and directly with the seller of this car. From both the eBay and seller's perspectives it is simply a matter of meeting the stated terms of the sale. Regularly, eBay terms will say things like '50% deposit required within 5 days', 'payment in full due within 48 hours', or lots of other variations.

As it was my belief this car would sell for quite a bit, I contacted the seller and asked what the terms would be. He told me that he did not want any money (assuming I would be the successful bidder) unless I saw the car and that it was exactly as described. He repeated the same statement previously noted here that he would repay any monies given to him on a 3 to one ratio if the car was not genuine. After I was listed as the winning bidder I called to see how much of a deposit I needed to send FEDEX. I proposed $15,000. Seller declined, stating he did not want any money unless I was totally satisfied. I guess what I am saying is that both the purchaser and the seller are satisfied at this time...so that seems to be all that is required.

On another note, I will try tomorrow to contact an individual about authentication of this car (and will keep all posted). I spoke with the seller tonight and he agrees that the tranny is not the original one (though he had originally told me it was). Seller added that he checked with the original owner (who apparently owned three and raced at least two copo cars) who said this was not the RS copo car. Seller has begun to negotiate price down based on all of the excellent info I have found out in this forum. Again, MANY thanks. The comments on possibly working on this family project have not been lost on me.

Eli