Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-23-2002, 02:27 AM

Default Re: X44 D80 trim tag on ebay

Gentlemen and ladies, this is the problem that is prevalent in this hobby. If that car is long gone, then so should the tag be disposed of properly. As I stated in a previous post about the state of the hobby -If anyone remembers it- there are way to many unscrupulous people out there making there own cars and doing such a fine job that above average car buffs can't tell the difference. This has got to STOP! I think it is time that a group of people in this hobby go to Chevrolet directly and lets get the build sheets of the cars on microfilm and lets keep everyone honest! To the gentleman who is selling the trim tag I would be more than happy to send a check to see the tag is shipped to me where I will promptly destroy it, to see that no one gets fooled
on a possible fake car purchase 100 years from now..........Joel-ILL Camaro Club
Old 09-23-2002, 03:19 AM

I HAVE NOT GIVEN ANY OF THE INFO OUT ABOUT THE HISTORY,I AM NEW TO THE SUPERCARS,I HAVE BEEN INTO ST. RODS MY WHOLE LIFE,BUT AS OF NOW I AM CLONING A 1969 NICKEY CAMARO FOR MY WIFE(NOT TO PAWN OFF AS REAL),STARTED AS A BLACK RS/SS 396 CAR,IT NOW HAS A DATE CODED 435HP 427,TRI POWER,4 SPEED,STINGER HOOD,AND MOST OF THE LATE SIXTIES/EARLY SEVENTIES SPEED PARTS AVAILIABLE IN THE NICKEY CATALOGS(I HAVE THE 68,69,AND 70 NICKEY CATALOGS)AND OTHER DETAIL ITEMS,THESE CARS HAVE GONE UP IN VALUE SO MUCH TO HAVE A CLONE WOULD BE THE NEXT BEST THING,I HAVE HAD ALLOT OF PEAPLE HELPING ME DO THIS AS ACURATELY AS POSSIBLE,A FEW OF MY FRIENDS AND CUSTOMERS BEEN WANTING TO CLONE A COPO,TO BE FAIR I GAVE THEM AND EVERYONE ELSE THE CHANCE TO HAVE THIS TAG ON E BAY,THE TAG IN MY OPINION (AND OTHERS)IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT THE OTHER ITEMS(VIN,TITLE,ETC.)THAT WILL NOT LEAVE MY POSSESION,BUT WILL MAKE A CLOSE ENUFF TO THE REAL THING CLONE,THERE ARE COMPANIES OUT THERE THAT WILL MAKE YOU A TAG FROM YOUR VIN #,AND EVEN SELL YOU THE RIVETS(THATS WHY THE VIN AND INFO WILL NOT BE DISCLOSED),BUT WILL ~NOT~ TURN A LEMANS INTO A GOAT,A PLAIN JANE INTO A Z ETC..,JUST COLORS AND SOME OPTIONS(TOP,INTERIOR ETC.),AND I AGREE 100 %,THE MONEY IS NOT THE POINT ,ITS GIVING OTHERS THE CHANCE LIKE I HAD,AND TO BE FAIR ABOUT IT,ALL YOU OTHERS FEEL FREE TO BASH AT WILL,I JUST WANTED TO SPEAK THE HONEST TRUTH,,THANKS
Old 09-23-2002, 03:42 AM

I AM NOT SURE HOW ACCURATE THIS IS BUT I WAS TOLD THE MICRO FILM WAS LOST IN A FIRE IN THE EARLY SEVENTIES,AND AS I STATED,THE TAGS ARE REPRODUCED WITH A VIN AND $175.00,HERE IS A SCARY THOUGHT,IF I WHERE DISHONEST ENUFF(I AM NOT)ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO TO A CAR SHOW OR OTHER EVENT,WRITE DOWN THE VIN AND BOOM,A INSTANT TAG,TURN THAT SIX CYLINDER CAMARO INTO A Z 28,WITH THE CORRECT RIVETS,SCARY HUH,I AM SURE ITS NOT THAT EASY THOUGH,THERE MUST BE MORE TO IT,,,BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT IF YOU CANT HAVE THE REAL THING A ACURATE CLONE IS CLOSE ENUFF,BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE PAWNING IT OFF AS REAL IS TABOO ALL THE WAY!!!!,I HAVE BEEN AROUND THIS BUISNESS ENUFF TO REALIZE WITH TODAYS TECH. DOCUMENTATION AND OTHER ITEMS CAN AND ARE BEING REPRODUCED,PEAPLE ARE COUNTERFITING MONEY,WHY NOT OTHER ITEMS?IN THIS ERA,PEAPLE MY AGE (I WAS BORN IN 1974)ARE INTO HONDAS AND ECLIPSES,WITH MONSTER WINGS AND STEREOS,NOT MUSCLE CARS AND STREET RODS,THEY ARE STARTING TO GET UNTOUCHABLE FOR THE NORMAL PERSON,I REALIZE MOST OWN YENKOS,COPOS ETC..OR WISH THEY DID,BUT YOU EVER THOUGHT WHAT IS IN FOR THE FUTURE OF THESE CARS,A MUSEUM MAYBE,BUT MOST LIKELY A PERSONAL COLLECTION NEVER SEEN BY OTHERS,(LIKE THE PIERCE ARROWS AND DELAHAYS)SORRY I AM GOING ON AND ON,,HOPE I GAVE YOU ALL SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT,,THANKS
Old 09-23-2002, 04:03 AM

First, hit yor caps lock and stop screaming, it is very annoying. Second, get a spell check or something and third, go back in your trailer, get the trim tag and destroy it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 04:40 AM

wow that was uncalled for,,,, grow up
Old 09-23-2002, 04:51 AM

Grow up? I've been grown for quite a while. If you want to email me feel free or send a PM.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Jason,
I don't see any bashing of your ad at all on this thread. But do take off the Caps Lock. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The #'s support what you're saying. Not sure what a tag will do anyone without the VIN plate...... I have to agree with Jeff, I don't see the point in selling it.

Out of curiosity, what trans was in the car originally, auto or manual? Stripped car or did it have some options?

I'm confused on the red ZL1. There were only 2 red ones, and neither was sold by Berger and neither are in FL. The easy answer is maybe it's red now, but wasn't originally? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Feel free to email me off-line at [email protected] if you want.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

JASON...Berger only sold one ZL1, it wasn't Red and it is still around. You can go to Copo.com and look at the list to verify that Berger only sold one. Maybe your Friend bought Iron 427 COPOS from Berger ? We know D Bridges has one red ZL1 and the other one is now in Canada.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:23 PM

One quick reference in regards to copying a trim tag and VIN. A VIN tag cannot and will not be reproduced (it's considered a felony and punishable by law). To reproduce a trim tag, an impression of the reverse side of the actual trim tag must be supplied. The person who makes the repro is required to either return that slip of paper with the new tag or must destroy it immediately after the new tag is done. If the tag is reproduced for anyone other than the owner it is considered fraud and one can be looking at a nice lawsuit with jail time to follow. The point everyone is making to you about trim tag is that it is useless without the VIN. I would suggest you send Ed Cunneen over at the COPO Connection a email ([email protected]). Supply the VIN and trim tag info so it can be recorded into his database. Ed will post the last six numbers of the VIN and list the car as destroyed.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:00 PM

Marlin, In ref: to the other X44 D80 tag w/ the 6cly car. Did you notice the markings on the right rear back seat brace? I inlarged the photo, I can clearly make out a 4 but there are also other number markings present. Any clue? I thought it was only 1 letter and 1 number .