Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1969 Camaro copo on ebay

There are numerous reasons the 2 mentioned COPOs at auction ,achieved their respective bids.

But,how about the Hugger Orange COPO? It was in very good condition and was bid just a bit higher than the other two mentioned on this thread?
Old 01-28-2002, 06:31 PM

I think the orange car went for $73k,which was significantly higher than the others. A beautiful orange Canadian car fully documented and correct restoration sold in the upper $60's last spring. Documentation,as well as matching drive train seem to be the real premium. The really nice Yenko at Russo Steele brought $74500 without any matching running gear.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:43 PM

The price disparity from "Really Nice" to a "best of show" COPO/Supercar is substantial.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:44 PM

Whitetop that must be the same car from what your saying. Do you have any photo's you could post. I would like to see one or two. I can't believe that I can't recall this car. I'm sure a photo would do the trick.. If it's the same car I would think that restoring it back to it's race trim would not only be awesome but would bring greater value knowing what it was or is.. Who was the driver, Deb the engine builder? the new owner is reluctant to say. The driver I would believe would likely be the 1st owner. Is DEB an acronym or abreviation for something or is this the fellas first name. this thread could be very interesting in the days to come..

Wacky
Old 01-28-2002, 06:49 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts

Ralph Ridgerunner had a 69 Z/28 called the Ridgerunner with Deb's sponsorship. He was also tied in with Motion Performance. There was a small chain of speedshops in the CT in the mid 70s called "Ridgerunners" which may have been tied in with Ralph Ridgerunner. The Scuncio house cars were called "Strip Teaser I" and "Strip Teaser II" and had CWS speed Equipment as sponsor and were run by Bob Johnson. This info is from old magazine articles but the drag racers were always changing things so the cars and sponsors may have changed.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:54 PM

Been there, saw the Deuce. Not sure as to it's authenticity. No papework, no engine, no trans, wrong rear. Repainted, but has some trouble spots, black stripes applied to a blue car. Incorrect interior, door panels, '73 dashpad, leafspring 'birdcages' welded into floorboards, ect...
M
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-28-2002, 08:29 PM

Like I said in my first post, I'm a rather conservative guy that doesn't usually get off on a tangent or chase false leads but maybe the Crook statement fits best of all..

Wacky
Old 01-28-2002, 08:49 PM

I agree with whitetop on the Scuncio car.My ads are dated for 1970 with the B. Johnson car with CWS sponsership as well as the Strip Teaser II name.Both ads the car is sans D-80 equipment and running A/S.I looked at the Ebay pictures again,where's the 140 speedo? It looks like a 120 mph. The seats look like deluxe covers( the seams/pleats are running the wrong way).What happened to the 711 interior?Two many questions.......

Steve

[Edited by 68l30 (01-28-2002 at 03:49 PM).]
Old 01-28-2002, 09:34 PM

The DEB car that I'm thinking about was a dark color. Only pics I had seen of the car was in B&W. Hot Cars or Chevy Action, Chevy Power had a 2 page feature on the car. I'm 99% sure it had a black vinyl top. The car was in a million ads back then because of it's record holding status. I was thinking it was more '70-'71 when the car was popular. Joe C. do you know what happened to Ralph Ridgeway and his car? That car was also featured many times in Car Craft etc. The stripes were comprised of lace paint, fogging etc. Be a cool car to find today and restore.
Dave

Old 01-28-2002, 10:13 PM

OK guy's the story gets thicker, I talked again this afternoon with Bill and he was rather open about the car. He said he was with the original owner and a few other buddy's the day the car was picked up. He own's a wrecking yard and has a large group of drag buddies. I asked him about the history of the car again. He said that it "was not" the well know record setting Deb car but a car that was occasionally raced. It was originaly maroon or red but the owner painted it some crappy brown color soon after delivery. He said the block had some number like T0xxxJE, I think it should be a CE, he said it may be. It's stored at his home under the house. Get this, sitting next to it is a 70 Yenko Duece from Arkansas for sale as well. $20k. The Yenko has an automatic with black bench seat. Strips still on car but motor was replaced. He said the car is nice shape.. maybe a few of you likely know this guy already. He said he is very popular. I don't know if thats in a good way or crook way. He seems nice on the phone and is open to questions. He is into all kinds of stuff so he says and has a large variety of HIPO parts and cars.. As for the reserve. If not met he will not take offers, and will not disclose the name of the original owner until the close of the auction. But he said the owner of the DEB speed shop owned the car so I take it that that's the shadowy figure. Anyone think they know the guy. He claims he's someone with a great racing history and will introduce the winner to him upon the close of the auction.

Wacky

[Edited by Wacky174 (01-28-2002 at 05:13 PM).]