Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

Here’s another minor suggestion (if it hasn’t already been checked)…

If the rear portion of the body is basically original and unmolested and the gas tank has never been previously removed, then check the date code on the corner of the gas tank.
This won’t prove anything one way or another, but if the date code is way off (too early or too late), then you have another piece of the puzzle to work with…... Plus, you don’t have to take anything apart to get that info…
Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM

how bout spend 10 mins and pull the fender atleast...
Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Just a little FYI in @84 that car was listed for parts in the Sell-it or Tradin times. A very good Camaro buddy went to see it the night the add hit. It was in the bottom of a bank barn in Lancaster back in the sticks . When he arrived 2 guys were blowing the interior out of it, doors (PS damaged badly),were leaning agaist the wall and another couple of people yanking the rear out. The engine and trans ended up in a Chevelle local to that area. He wound up with the hood off of it which I moved many times, it was slammed on the pass side and rolled under, so hard it broke the 427 emblem on that side. I spoke with him about the car tring to find what happened to it. I just questioned him again about what he saw that night He told me the car was hurt very badly on the pass side pillar and cowl and front , slammed something that didn't move !!!! It was stripped to a shell and sold off in hours that night. The hood is still arround as a wall ornament !!!!

Jim
Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 AM

jim, post a pic of the wall ornament
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the addy, I'll send you the papers.

I'm perplexed about the reference to a felony though! That's a big word, not to be thrown about lightly.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a little FYI in @84 that car was listed for parts in the Sell-it or Tradin times. A very good Camaro buddy went to see it the night the add hit. It was in the bottom of a bank barn in Lancaster back in the sticks . When he arrived 2 guys were blowing the interior out of it, doors (PS damaged badly),were leaning agaist the wall and another couple of people yanking the rear out. The engine and trans ended up in a Chevelle local to that area. He wound up with the hood off of it which I moved many times, it was slammed on the pass side and rolled under, so hard it broke the 427 emblem on that side. I spoke with him about the car tring to find what happened to it. I just questioned him again about what he saw that night He told me the car was hurt very badly on the pass side pillar and cowl and front , slammed something that didn't move !!!! It was stripped to a shell and sold off in hours that night. The hood is still arround as a wall ornament !!!!

Jim </div></div>

At first I thought you meant the 427 emblem on the fender was broken, but after I reread it I think you mean the 427 emblem on the hood was broken? Could the body have been saved in '84? Do you know who ended up with the body that night?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 10-11-2010, 04:00 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a little FYI in @84 that car was listed for parts in the Sell-it or Tradin times. A very good Camaro buddy went to see it the night the add hit. It was in the bottom of a bank barn in Lancaster back in the sticks . When he arrived 2 guys were blowing the interior out of it, doors (PS damaged badly),were leaning agaist the wall and another couple of people yanking the rear out. The engine and trans ended up in a Chevelle local to that area. He wound up with the hood off of it which I moved many times, it was slammed on the pass side and rolled under, so hard it broke the 427 emblem on that side. I spoke with him about the car tring to find what happened to it. I just questioned him again about what he saw that night He told me the car was hurt very badly on the pass side pillar and cowl and front , slammed something that didn't move !!!! It was stripped to a shell and sold off in hours that night. The hood is still arround as a wall ornament !!!!

Jim </div></div>

At first I thought you meant the 427 emblem on the fender was broken, but after I reread it I think you mean the 427 emblem on the hood was broken? Could the body have been saved in '84? Do you know who ended up with the body that night? </div></div>

Sooooo, Bergy has the Yenko body from the windshield posts back?? Jim's story explains the welded in cowl does it not? Trying to understand this...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 AM

If indeed just the firewall and cowl have been replaced - or even other parts of the body but there are remnants of the original Yenko shell still there it would be my opinion that this is still the original Yenko car. The physical transfer of cowl tag and trim tag to a new and completely different shell I believe is a rebody and therefore no longer the original car that the tags were born with.

We need to step back and employ some of the 1980's mentality and look at how this car would have been dealt with back then. Although a Yenko has always been significant, back then there most likely would not have been a priority to preserve hidden vins. It was very common to just transfer tags to new shells or cut very large parts of several shells to make one. Noone was overly concerned with originality therefore crude methods could have been used to restore a driving car. If this car was involved in a terrible accident it would explain fully why the entire or large part of the cowl &amp; firewall were replaced. We could then only assume the original piece was determined to be scrap and used for patch panels (I remember using street signs as floor patch panels) or just discarded.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 AM

If it took a hard hit in the cowl, there still should be evidence of the repair. The cowl,firewall and whole dash could have been replaced. I would look for body filler repairs on both rockers and roof. Also look for floor damage. A very detailed inspection and disassembly will solve the mystery.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Bergy,
I know you aren't posting in this thread anymore, however, Jim has been around the PA area for a long time and knows a lot of the local cars in the area. If he says he saw it being parted out, I would believe it. I would disassemble the car and have the body blasted to see what the repairs have been to the cowl area. Don't let anyone else tell you any &quot;information&quot; about the body until you find out for yourself. If the car is indeed a rebody, then you take the steps to find out who fraudently performed the rebody on the vehicle and go from there.
-Matt