Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Default Dash harness melted

This happen to anyone else? I was driving my 72 on what was likely one of the best days of the summer. Put a ton of miles on the car that day. However, at the end with 1 mile to go to get home I started smelling burning plastic, then saw smoke. I pulled over and shut the car off and the smoke stopped. But when I started the car again it started smoking again. After having the car towed I found this (see pics). Previously I had replaced all the wiring in the engine bay due to the hacked original harness while installing a Chapman lock (a previous owner). Fortunately none of my new wiring burned. But this resistance wire smoked from the fuse box to where it meets at The igniting n switch and is crimped to an orange wire, I believe it's the heater. After tracing I see it runs to the brown wire at the alternator. Taking a look under the dash it looks like there was some hacking done there to, aftermarket stereo and what looks like caps to prevent noise. As I start investigating to find the root cause I find more surprises. Trying to figure out if my ignition switch caused this.

Why the splice here off the door plunger?

Cap for noise
]

I then discover that someone put a 42A alternator on this car which has an aftermarket stereo and AC?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...