Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Olds

Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
Look at the top right of this attached file.

Hence, white stripes were the default for Burgundy Mist, so the person working the order form specified a different color.
Thank you for posting that info. I just had never seen that color combination before on a W car Olds.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsixman View Post
Thank you for posting that info. I just had never seen that color combination before on a W car Olds.
Just to add, black was not the default stripe for Burgundy Mist, but it's not unusual in the least because black matches everything, just like white.

I think a gold or red stripe paired with this color would be a bit more of a stand-out IMHO.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Troy said he could and would not verify that the Burgundy mist car was an authentic W-30 although he believed it to be.

Errr...excuse me? He put his name on a placard as having "DOCUMENTED" the car
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Gents

Here is a little more background on the viking blue car for those who had not see the discussion on Classic Olds many months ago on this one.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-not-mine.html

I have no comment on the burgundy car other than hearing it started out as a regular 442 and its claimed to be documented by a noted restoration shop.

With all the logistics involved with MCACN its going to be pretty hard to start doing investigations on cars to qualify them for display. There are a lot of smart people out there for every marque so the frauds will be found out.
For those who pour a ton of money into a car knowing its not the real deal, its your money, but the minute you go to sell it the internet will scream with the facts and at least create enough doubt that may affect the sale of that car.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 12-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

all this type of info is what makes this site great! Thanks Paul...
The Following User Says Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
1969l78 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker1 View Post
Errr...excuse me? He put his name on a placard as having "DOCUMENTED" the car
That's what I saw when I wrote my message earlier.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
Just to set the record straight: I was trying to be politically correct, which btw I'm not very good at. The difference between a std 442 and a W-30 is basically bolt on parts. I don't see how anyone can verify or certify a restored car, even if restored long ago, without appropriate documentation and owner history, to go along with the car.

I do not know the owners of either of these two Oldsmobiles, but do know some important aspects of their histories. The Burgundy Mist 442 was NOT a W-30 and was NOT a 4 speed car, when it left Lansing Michigan. I believe that is all which really needs to be stated for the record.

As far as the Blue '71. It was referred to me by Jude Hetick and was in very rough condition both body and frame. The Broadcast card , and the original trim tag, which the broad cast card is tied to, was removed and placed on another 1971 std 442 which was subsequently sold as a W-30. I have heard talk that the original tag is being reunited with the restored car bearing the correct VIN.

It is my opinion that members and enthusiast who have any desire to be involved with Oldsmobiles make note of the parties involved at all levels, with re stamping, fake tags, authenticating, restoring and selling these vehicles as IMHO, they will be back on the market some day.

I totally agree Stefano. As I said - The only W-30's that can be documented and authenticated are those that were produced in Canada, 1972 X VINs, or original cars with complete owner histories! At least that is how I see it in today’s collector car climate. Fraud or fake cars are a huge problem for any Chevrolet or Oldsmobile enthusiast.

I go way back with these cars long before they were so sought after. I have seen a lot of change over the years as the big money guys became involved looking to cash in. I now see many cars which started out as something completely different than what they are represented to be today. It is a big problem!

Here is an example of the fake documentation that I was speaking about. Pontiac and some Buick cars are the way to go if you want a real GM car.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/vin-number-...88.m1543.l2754

Last edited by HO455; 12-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I totally agree Stefano. As I said - The only W-30's that can be documented and authenticated are those that were produced in Canada, 1972 X VINs, or original cars with complete owner histories! At least that is how I see it in today’s collector car climate. Fraud or fake cars are a huge problem for any Chevrolet or Oldsmobile enthusiast.

I go way back with these cars long before they were so sought after. I have seen a lot of change over the years as the big money guys became involved looking to cash in. I now see many cars which started out as something completely different than what they are represented to be today. It is a big problem!

Here is an example of the fake documentation that I was speaking about. Pontiac and some Buick cars are the way to go if you want a real GM car.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/vin-number-...88.m1543.l2754
Word! X 2

1970 Top Secret Very Special Muscle Car in restoration by MASCAR to be unveiled at MCACN 2020

Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 AM

I agree with Stefano on this one. If its made into a W30, just leave it at that and let others knows what it really is. I think most will appreciate the car more then if someone fakes it.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 AM

1968 -72 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 442 W30 NEW NOS FACTORY BUILD SHEET LINE CARD RARE - get em' while their hot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-OLD...QAAOSwOA1aHBzj