Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Do you run headers ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that headers don't move more air. They do. Sure, eventually the same amount of air can be moved through a Mcdonalds straw, but headers will move more air that those LS5 exhaust manifolds will, given a specific window of time- say a 1/4 mile pass.

I disagree that the sound out of the back of the car will be quieter with headers. I get you theory that sound is dissapating through the headers so there won't be as much sound to make it out of the exhaust tip. I just disagree. There are several other facotrs at work here. I would think they the rougher surface of the cast iron manifold would deaden the sound more that what audibly leakes thhrough a header, but that is just one unaddressed point.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine agreeing to disagree but you asked for some specific points.

[/ QUOTE ]We all have our opinions. When I was 14 (1969) the guy across the street had a 68 SS 350 Camaro w/4-speed. He put glasspacks on it right after he bought it new. By 69, they were LOUD, and I could hear him 3 blocks away when he was coming home from work. I'd go out there almost every night and hang out with him. One evening, I could barely hear the Camaro, but I heard something. I looked out the window, and it was him. I ran over, and said, hey, why'd you get new mufflers? He told me the only change that day was the installation of headers. MUCH quieter. Probably the most drastic that I've heard, but certainly not the last. Anyway, I came to learn WHY it was quieter. It's fairly difficult to argue with facts

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that the car seemed quieter and probably was at that particular cruising RPM.
The headers are changing the way the air is coming out. Its probably coming out a little smoother and faster. Meaning at certain RPM's maybe it is quieter than before. But maybe at higher RPM's it will actually be louder than before.

[/ QUOTE ]The car was quieter. MUCH quieter, at all RPM's and conditions. And I've already outlined why. But, go ahead and weave it til you're happy. No worries. I'll try to keep logic and fact out of my posts in the future. LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Not trying to argue what so ever. No need to get like that. Just going by my personal experiences. Plus its a interesting topic!!

Years and years ago I was heavy into the little 5.0 Mustangs. Man those things were FUN!
It was very very common to throw a set of 2 Chamber Flowmasters on these things when new. Some guys out there hated the drone at cruising RPMS of Flowmasters. Well guess what really helped that? Yip, aftermarket headers. Every time we would install aftermarket headers the drone at 2k rpm was much more tolorable. Actually the drone was still there it just went to a different RPM. But at wide open throttle and at idle the sound was louder with headers. That is my experience with changing the air flow coming out a V8. Because that is all we are talking about here is changing the air flow....
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to argue what so ever. No need to get like that. Just going by my personal experiences. Plus its a interesting topic!!

Years and years ago I was heavy into the little 5.0 Mustangs. Man those things were FUN!
It was very very common to throw a set of 2 Chamber Flowmasters on these things when new. Some guys out there hated the drone at cruising RPMS of Flowmasters. Well guess what really helped that? Yip, aftermarket headers. Every time we would install aftermarket headers the drone at 2k rpm was much more tolorable. Actually the drone was still there it just went to a different RPM. But at wide open throttle and at idle the sound was louder with headers. That is my experience with changing the air flow coming out a V8. Because that is all we are talking about here is changing the air flow....

[/ QUOTE ]I thought those Mustangs had tube exh. manifolds?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to argue what so ever. No need to get like that.

[/ QUOTE ]So much for my LOL, eh?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Grouch,
They had factory headers that were a bit of a joke. But they were better than exhaust manifolds. Headers, gears, and off road exhaust woke these things up big time!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grouch,
They had factory headers that were a bit of a joke. But they were better than exhaust manifolds. Headers, gears, and off road exhaust woke these things up big time!

[/ QUOTE ] So on the Mustangs, as far as sound, you're comparing tube manifolds to tube headers. Prolly different than comparing tube headers to cast iron exh. manifolds. And I believe that's where this thread, and some of my opinions originated.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM

You are so right!!!
Ok, I am ready to move on to my LS5 situation. Please let me know if you are running headers on your pride and joy. Thanks for all of the help guys!!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM

I know i'm late to the party but these are my headers that go on the Nova.They are a cheap set of Hedman's with a ball flange.I like the white as it gives a good day2 look.

More pictures when installed in the car in a couple of months.

Kendall
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Very nice!!!
I am about to pull the trigger myself once I get my carb back from the restorer.